Handbook and rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handbook and rules

Already 5 years I involved in chess politics. Honestly, initially I wanted to stay away from it and declined a few proposal to become a governor (voting member). However, my position as a National Team Captain for 3 consecutive times forced me to get involved.

All these years I realized that CFC Handbook is irrelevant and out-of-date. CFC doesn't have enough money to hire a lawyer; no active member was ready to help with this issue.

This situation was somewhat unpleasant, but honestly, for me it never was a problem. I was always sure that CFC has some rules (motions). In previous years CFC executive was following most of the rules (motions).

The situation with the next Canadian Closed shows that the time of rules (motions) is over. CFC doesn't need to follow any rules (motions) anymore. CFC executive can do everything. Vlad's posts on the thread "Canadian Closed in Montreal" shows his new approach.

Before you start playing any game, you should understand the rules. I was sure that I do understand. I was wrong.

Now, hopefully I realize a new situation and I should ask myself "do I really want to be involved?" Right now, the answer in pretty obvious.

Re: Handbook and rules

Yes, absolutely disgusting.
    I don't have a personal opinion about exemptions yet, its a complicated issue with the Canadian Closed being announced so late...but such things should certainly be decided by a governor vote on a case by case basis. Just like the original motions about the Olympiad qualification were voted on.

But whatcha gonna do..don't like the conditions of the tournament - organize it yourself. Don't like the dictatorship style of governing by the executive..do the job yourself. Right, Mr. Drkulec?

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
      All these years I realized that CFC Handbook is irrelevant and out-of-date. CFC doesn't have enough money to hire a lawyer; no active member was ready to help with this issue.
      Want a free Life Membership? Help rewrite the CFC HB!

As pres, that's the first offer I would make to get this done.
      Last edited by Neil Frarey; Friday, 19th May, 2017, 01:13 AM.

Comment

If I wasn't so busy, and perhaps currently more interested in chess (my young one is 2), I would consider legal action. I encourage others to follow legal action as this is tyranny.

Comment

And precisely what would your lawsuit be Mr. Shaw?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
            Want a free Life Membership? Help rewrite the CFC HB!

As pres, that's the first offer I would make to get this done.
            Where in the presidential powers do you see the legal authority to make such an offer?

Comment

I presume he would purchase it for the individual in question.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
                Yes, absolutely disgusting.
                I don't have a personal opinion about exemptions yet, its a complicated issue with the Canadian Closed being announced so late...but such things should certainly be decided by a governor vote on a case by case basis. Just like the original motions about the Olympiad qualification were voted on.

But whatcha gonna do..don't like the conditions of the tournament - organize it yourself. Don't like the dictatorship style of governing by the executive..do the job yourself. Right, Mr. Drkulec?
                I nominate Nikolay Noritsyn for CFC President. If he runs at the next AGM, I probably wouldn't even run against him.

Comment

Some parts of the handbook are critical in the weekend TDs' life - Rating System.

Recently the question about the foreigner's participation in the tournament - does he need a membership?

There are several places where the matter is explained on the CFC website:

Main clause:
                  432. Membership. All players in a rated event must be CFC members for the inclusive dates of play.

What kind of memberships the CFC have (Main By-Laws): Class A (voting) and Class B (non-voting)

How much does it cost to be a member ( http://www.chess.ca/membership-rates )
                  Here we get "Non-member tournament fees (taxes included)"

The first confusion - the person does not become a member, than he can not play in the CFC rated tournament as there is no exceptions for non-members in the Rating section.

However, the person can purchase "CFC Regular Tournament Membership" ( http://www.chess.ca/node/1235 )
                  A single-tournament adult membership, which may be purchased in lieu of an annual membership, for participation in a CFC-rated tournament at standard time controls.

Hmm, is it the third class of the CFC membership missed in the By-Laws ?

Conclusion: it's not that big deal. But it's like a small broken tooth in a gear system starting to make noise and damaging other teeth.

The CFC must have clearly written papers for several important things: expectations for bidding tournaments, regulations for its championships (Closed, CYCC, Open), team compositions (Olympiad, youth).

V.Plotkin became a governor when I was quitting. I don't miss that time. No wonder that he wants to quit too.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                    I nominate Nikolay Noritsyn for CFC President. If he runs at the next AGM, I probably wouldn't even run against him.
                    I thought I was in your ignore list. Can you really nominate someone you consider a hater? I actually think the current president is doing a pretty good job, considering its a volunteer position and no one wants it (Well, there is Mr. Frarey..). Of course, as long as the president does not use CFC funds to get himself a free vacation trip to Olympiads. Making decisions without consulting the governors and constantly bending the law can be annoying as well.
                    I am too busy with coaching currently to be involved in the CFC more then as a governor, nomination declined.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
                      I thought I was in your ignore list. Can you really nominate someone you consider a hater? I actually think the current president is doing a pretty good job, considering its a volunteer position and no one wants it (Well, there is Mr. Frarey..). Of course, as long as the president does not use CFC funds to get himself a free vacation trip to Olympiads. Making decisions without consulting the governors and constantly bending the law can be annoying as well.
                      I am too busy with coaching currently to be involved in the CFC more then as a governor, nomination declined.

I am absolutely 100% certain that NO ONE is on Vlad Drkulec's ignore list.

Like Trump, he is simply too narcissistic to not read any post in which his name might be mentioned. He simply maintains the appearance of ignoring certain people by not replying directly to them. Instead he posts "snide remarks" which show he is keeping up on things.
                      Only the rushing is heard...
                      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Some parts of the handbook are critical in the weekend TDs' life - Rating System.

Recently the question about the foreigner's participation in the tournament - does he need a membership?

There are several places where the matter is explained on the CFC website:

Main clause:
                        432. Membership. All players in a rated event must be CFC members for the inclusive dates of play.

What kind of memberships the CFC have (Main By-Laws): Class A (voting) and Class B (non-voting)

How much does it cost to be a member ( http://www.chess.ca/membership-rates )
                        Here we get "Non-member tournament fees (taxes included)"

The first confusion - the person does not become a member, than he can not play in the CFC rated tournament as there is no exceptions for non-members in the Rating section.

However, the person can purchase "CFC Regular Tournament Membership" ( http://www.chess.ca/node/1235 )
                        A single-tournament adult membership, which may be purchased in lieu of an annual membership, for participation in a CFC-rated tournament at standard time controls.

Hmm, is it the third class of the CFC membership missed in the By-Laws ?

Conclusion: it's not that big deal. But it's like a small broken tooth in a gear system starting to make noise and damaging other teeth.
                        This wording in the Handbook and even website predates the new constitution. There is no tournament membership. It is simply a tournament fee for playing in a CFC event without having a
                        membership.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                          This wording in the Handbook and even website predates the new constitution. There is no tournament membership. It is simply a tournament fee for playing in a CFC event without having a
                          membership.
                          ah yes, the old "not a membership, it's a tournament fee". Lyle Craver always gets upset when I say Tournament Membership saying the CFC does not like the term, it's not official language, and it's a "tournament fee"

All of this would be more convincing if:

a) the CFC website didn't sell "CFC Tournament Memberships" on the same page it sells regular memberships. http://www.chess.ca/products/membership-fees

b) the language of all motions relating to this charge refer to "Tournament Memberships". The CFC Executive does not get to unilaterally change the language on this. It is the exclusive preserve of the Governors (excuse me, the Voting Members.....)

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                            This wording in the Handbook and even website predates the new constitution.
                            Take a broom and clean the website or people responsible for keeping the site :)

Comment

I take responsibility for chapter 4 (rating) and chapter 10 (Chess Foundation of Canada) and I ensure that any policies agreed by the governors are captured in the handbook.
                              Sometimes it takes a while to get updates done because the CFC office is quite busy but eventually they get done.
                              I have never accepted the theory that (at least those sections of) the handbook are obsolete and any time I face a decision regarding ratings or the Foundation I follow the guidance in the handbook.
                              I have repeatedly offered to work with anyone re-writing the handbook and do my share in the re-write of chapters 4 and 10.
                              I'd be happy to hear from anyone who sees an error or improvement in those chapters.
                              Paul Leblanc
                              Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X