Canadian Closed 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Closed 2019

I am considering a bid for the 2019 Canadian Closed.
    But why Bob, have you lost your mind? Perhaps!

But then, I have to think running a successful prestigious event would be awesome.
    The Canadian Closed should be an event that we look forward to each (or every other) year. Unfortunately it is a more difficult animal to finance than your typical weekend tournament and expectations are greater too: hence many potential organizers do shy away. Throwing something together at the 11th hour is not so good.

At this point in time, I am just thinking out loud (a trial balloon), I promise nothing. So if you are considering a bid yourself, don’t let me stop you. Go for it.

A few thoughts:

CFC is requesting bids be presented at the 2018 AGM for consideration. That would be my plan as well. This gives lots of time for debate, discussion, and acceptance.

Financing is the biggest obstacle. There has to be some confidence going forward that adequate financing will be found. If anyone would like to help sponsor (any amount) the event, please contact me sooner rather than later.

IMHO, it is reasonable to ask CFC to help finance the Canadian Closed, even if it is just a symbolic amount.

IMHO, best efforts must be made to follow handbook guidelines regarding player perks.

Why not add a reserve and/or lower sections to help pay the costs. The Closed would become the top section of a larger event. Has this ever been tried?

I do not wish to be the TD, nor do I plan on organizing the event for free.
    The organizer (me), the TD and crew will be paid an adequate fee. (If they wish to also be sponsors, that is fine too but not a requirement.)

Location would be somewhere in the Mississauga /Hamilton area.

No doubt, I will regret this post soon enough! :)

Re: Canadian Closed 2019

Do you think I'll be able to qualify for the tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
      Do you think I'll be able to qualify for the tournament?
      I would think so. The minimum rating required for 2017 Closed is 2000.
      I am sure this will be a topic of discussion down the road. I haven't given it much thought yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        I would think so. The minimum rating required for 2017 Closed is 2000.
        I am sure this will be a topic of discussion down the road. I haven't given it much thought yet.
        Ordinarily the rating requirement has been 2200, I think. Because of the issue of the short notice lowering the floor to 2000 was felt warranted.

Comment

Great news, I have my first sponsor. :)
          A generous donation from Anonymous is most appreciated (name & amount withheld).
          Anonymous hopes this will encourage others. The more we raise, the better the event.

Thanks.

Comment

Why not add a reserve and/or lower sections to help pay the costs. The Closed would become the top section of a larger event. Has this ever been tried?
            One of the Closed in Guelph (2010?) had a parallel tournament.

Congrats on starting to fill a sponsors' list :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              One of the Closed in Guelph (2010?) had a parallel tournament.

Congrats on starting to fill a sponsors' list :)
              You may be thinking of Kitchener 2009 which was thrown together at the last minute and run alongside the Kitchener Chess Festival. Hal Bond was the organizer. I don't know whether any of the entry fees for the Chessfest were used to subsidize the Closed. The Closed tournament was "bare bones" because of the last-minute organizing and Jean Hebert complained quite pointedly about this. Naturally this led to the usual ChessTalk, ummm, spirited debate, about whether it is better to hold a bare-bones Closed, or not hold one at all.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                You may be thinking of Kitchener 2009
                No, Guelph. Maybe the lower "section" was only during the weekend...

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  No, Guelph. Maybe the lower "section" was only during the weekend...
                  You're right. It was Guelph in 2011.

Here it is: http://www.chess.ca/crosstable?tourn...88586316a25f57

Steve

Comment

Great news. Sponsor #2 has stepped forward.
                    To be clear, I am looking for pledges at this point in time.
                    No cash upfront in expected. Just make good on your pledge when (and if) the bid is accepted.

Help break the cycle of throwing something together at the 11th hour.

Comment

I have been having some interesting discussion with my bud Garvin Nunes of the Hamilton Chess Club on promoting the Canadian Closed.
                      Here is an idea we have been throwing around: a qualifier tournament system similar to the CYCC qualifier system. It has worked well for the CYCC, why not try something similar for the Closed?

Comment

Sounds like a good idea to me. Hence, make Closed a smaller, stronger tournament with better conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
                          Sounds like a good idea to me. Hence, make Closed a smaller, stronger tournament with better conditions.
                          Sorry, No. The motivation is NOT make the event smaller or stronger, but to create interest in the Closed in the months preceding.
                          Hopefully some inactive 2000+ players would come out to compete at the club or weekender to qualify instead of just qualifying by rating.

Comment

I have been having some interesting discussion with my bud Garvin Nunes of the Hamilton Chess Club on promoting the Canadian Closed.
                            Here is an idea we have been throwing around: a qualifier tournament system similar to the CYCC qualifier system. It has worked well for the CYCC, why not try something similar for the Closed?
                            those used to be called provincial championships.

There was also in the late 1980s a brief period when there were a few qualifying tournaments with one spot were held - I believe the idea was to use these tournaments to raise money for the Closed. It didn't work - attendance was paltry and the strength of the people who qualified was well.....

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                              those used to be called provincial championships.

There was also in the late 1980s a brief period when there were a few qualifying tournaments with one spot were held - I believe the idea was to use these tournaments to raise money for the Closed. It didn't work - attendance was paltry and the strength of the people who qualified was well.....
                              Roger, I am not trying to turn back the clock. I know that some hunger for a return to a smaller invitational style event, where players represent regions or provinces. I am actually heading in the opposite direction. A larger event.
                              The primary purpose of the qualifier tournaments would be to attract interest in the Closed.

The CYCC qualifiers have become a valuable advertising vehicle for the main event. When the kids find out they have qualified for something, ears perk up. Maybe they can do the same for the Closed. Entries fees will still be the main source of revenue, but if we have 50 players instead of 30, well that's more money.

I am being intentionally vague on the details of a qualifying system. Mostly because I haven't thought it out yet, but would also like to hear ideas from others.
                              Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 1st August, 2017, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X