Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 Canadian Championship

Originally posted by John Torrie View Post
    Somewhere in these threads I believe there is the claim that Mr. Sambuev said he knew the ref would default the inverted rook. How did he know this?
    This exact situation occurred in a Quebec tournament recently. Perhaps Bator was familiar with that decision. I don't know the details but I have seen all the reports from the organizer, the arbiter and the members of the National Appeals Committee and this fact was mentioned somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by John Torrie View Post
      "I would bet that had there been no arbiter interference, Bator Sambuev would have played on understanding that the inverted rook was a Queen" PB

From the video this seems to be the case as he continues to play without protest. Of course it can be claimed that a protest could have been made whenever the inverted rook moved other than a rook. Somewhere in these threads I believe there is the claim that Mr. Sambuev said he knew the ref would default the inverted rook. How did he know this?

The end position before promotion is now famous. From a practical perspective, after the rook was a la fide uprighted, I'm speculating that trading rooks and going at it with N+2Ps Vs Q would have offered better drawing chances than with the r's on the board. What's your thought.
      His response was on chess.com

"UPDATE - July 5, 2017.

Sambuev responded to Chess.com that he thought the upside-down rook would be ruled an illegal move. "Since the arbiter was there I let him do his job," Sambuev told Chess.com.

When asked if he would have stopped the game and declared the piece a rook himself (had there been no arbiter), Sambuev responded that the game was only stopped as he was promoting his own queen on a8, thus inferring that he would not have declared the piece a rook without the arbiter's interjection.

He also reminded, as Chess.com did in the report, that he was holding the Black queen for many minutes before the incident, as well as other pieces.

"I didn't know that I was holding a queen in my hand," Sambuev said. "There were some pieces but I was focused on the game and had no idea what exactly was there. I learned there was a queen only from the video."

"The title is definitely important," he said. "I played in a World Cup in Norway four years ago after winning my second title. This is the third one."

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
        This exact situation occurred in a Quebec tournament recently. Perhaps Bator was familiar with that decision. I don't know the details but I have seen all the reports from the organizer, the arbiter and the members of the National Appeals Committee and this fact was mentioned somewhere.
        There was posted a link to the game where we were told Bator resigned when the upside down rook became a queen.
        Do you mean a different situation?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          There was posted a link to the game where we were told Bator resigned when the upside down rook became a queen.
          Do you mean a different situation?
          I didn't know Bator was involved in that situation. If he was and looked up the rule afterward then it would not be surprising that he was now familiar with the rule.

Comment

Do we have a scoresheet of blitz game 1?
            video as well.

Comment

• Re: Controversy

Thanks, Sid. Your photo is frame 25732 (vlc does not give frame-by-frame access, but VirtualDub does) and confusingly shows Nikolay's clock as having 9 seconds left. That is an artifact of the way the clock's LCD works. His time had been 4 and by pressing (+3) his new time was 7, but the LCD works by changing its display from the top down. In this frame it has added a bar at the top to begin making the 7. Two frames later, it has erased the left and middle bars of the 4.

But yes, you have captured the drama. It's almost balletic how Bator has picked up the white queen as if to promote with check but then waves it in the vicinity of the clock. My shot is frame 25776 (1.5 seconds later) with the arbiter's cuffed arms hovering over the table. He actually stops the clock at 25809.

Another interesting frame is 25694 with Nikolay's hand over the rook at the side of the table, and Bator's left fist just beginning to reveal to the camera the pieces he's holding while his right fingers almost look as if they want to pick a piece out of the jumble in his other fist and hand Nikolay the queen. But no. Or maybe it's just the fingers reaching for a queen to promote to, but the brain overruling because it's the wrong colour. Fetch the right-coloured queen, put the wrong-coloured queen by the side of the board.

Comment

Working...
              X