Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Canadian Championship

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
    There is no cause to blame Bator for this.
    Nonsense !
    Fred Harvey

Comment

Re: new FIDE rules July 1

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      Then it would have been a clear violation of the rules. The player can stop the clock, especially when he needs a piece to promote.
      Emil Sutovsky has a post about this on his FB page https://www.facebook.com/emil.sutovs...nf&pnref=story

Samuel Sevian's father posted this:
      My son once promoted his pawn and asked for the Queen, he was forfeited for an illegal move. The rule I guess is to stop the clock and ask for a piece before promotion.

Comment

.....Now - Is it holding/hiding/chewing a captured piece an infringement? Rules do not say anything what should be done with captured pieces, they are just removed from the board. There are no Geneva Conventions for them yet.

Frankly, I am surprised that in all these lengthy discussion about hiding a Queen or putting an inverted Rook on the promotion square, no one has mentioned that there may NOT BE a captured Queen available! The promoting player may still have his / her Queen on the board. The worst thing possible in that situation is that the player promoting must stop the clock and summon the arbiter to get a Queen. That is ridiculous, as it gives the opponent free time to think about a response. And what if the arbiter can't even FIND an extra Queen??? That would make for extreme embarrassment for the organizers!

Therefore, the following extra pieces should be available and in front of each player before starting any game: 2 extra Queens, and 1 extra of Rook, Bishop, and Knight. This kills 2 birds with 1 stone: it also gives players pieces to fidget with while thinking (if they need it).

Before beginning of any game, arbiters must ensure that these extra pieces are in place for all players. If a player doesn't have such extra pieces with his / her set, the organizers must have cheap plastic versions of them for sale at cost. Failure to purchase or otherwise obtain such extra pieces before starting the clock will cause forfeiture of the game. Eventually, these extra pieces in both colors would become part of every player's chess set.

Of course, I realize this will never become a FIDE rule....

Bator Sambuev's actions of holding (hiding) the Black Queen AND failing to mention this to the arbiter and insist that Nikolay be allowed to promote to the Queen is a stain on his chess career if he doesn't do something about it voluntarily.
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

What will the ruling be for players who bring fidget spinners to tournaments? They will no longer fidget with pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
            It makes no sense to me to appeal to the CFC first when the issue was during the tournament.
            There are some questions it would be nice to hear the Arbiter speak to. According to an article on Chess.com Chief Arbiter Dénommée has declined to comment on what happened citing contractual obligations not to comment.

https://www.chess.com/news/view/cont...mpionship-5047

It would seem important to hear his explanation for

a) why additional Queens were not available?

b) whether he noticed that Sambuev had Nortisyn's Queen in his hand under the table?

c) and if not, whether that would have affected his actions especially with respect to FIDE rule 11.1 and 12.2? -

11.1 The players shall take no action that will bring the game of chess into disrepute.

12.2 The arbiter shall
            a. ensure fair play.
            b.act in the best interest of the competition.
            c.ensure that a good playing environment is maintained.
            d.ensure that the players are not disturbed.
            e. supervise the progress of the competition.
            f take special measures in the interests of disabled players and those who need medical attention.

http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...article&id=171

Another open question relates to d) why (according to) Noritsyn, he was directed to file his appeal with the CFC when a tournament appeals process was instituted?

http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/cccc2017/c...l-CCCC2017.pdf

Hopefully, these matters will be cleared up in the coming days.
            Last edited by Eric Gedajlovic; Wednesday, 5th July, 2017, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Why not Let both players be the champ. It would make the selection for the Olympic team far easier as two spots would be filled.

Comment

What a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
                  I uploaded the full game video which I just got from Richard Berube.
                  Is the first blitz game video available online?

Comment

Is the first blitz game video available online?
                    It is not. I just sent an email to the executive that I have been advised that it would make sense for the National Appeals Committee to look at the rest of the tiebreak game videos. It may provide more food for thought on concealing of pieces (queen's). I do not have the other videos, but the organizers/arbiters of the Canadian Championship should have them.

Comment

• Re: 2017 Canadian Championship

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

Since there is a video record of the game, the final position, and the times on the clocks, I think the game should play on from where it left off with the exception that Nikolay is allowed to promote to a queen.
                      To continue a game with one player having 2 seconds on his clock makes no sense to me. The exact original conditions cannot be duplicated anymore.
                      By holding Norytsin's queen in his hand, Bator interfered with his opponent wish to place it on the board.
                      Norytsin's failure to follow the procedure to promote (stop the clock, call the arbiter) is also to blame so overall the proper solution appears to play a new game.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                        why did the organizers not provide chess sets with two extra queens?
                        Blaming organizer/arbiter for that leads nowhere.
                        There were enough queens (one of each color) available when the incident occurred.
                        It is just that one of the queens was hidden in Bator's hand...

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                          To continue a game with one player having 2 seconds on his clock makes no sense to me. The exact original conditions cannot be duplicated anymore.
                          By holding Norytsin's queen in his hand, Bator interfered with his opponent wish to place it on the board.
                          Norytsin's failure to follow the procedure to promote (stop the clock, call the arbiter) is also to blame so overall the proper solution appears to play a new game.
                          I guess, that's the best solution I could think of. The engines evaluated the position as equal after both players promoted their pawns to queens if Black defends the check with Nd5. Anyone can be blamed, including the arbiters and players have faults. So, let's default and reset the game!
                          Last edited by Ferdinand Supsup; Wednesday, 5th July, 2017, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hebert
                            Norytsin's failure to follow the procedure to promote (stop the clock, call the arbiter) is also to blame
                            The problem is that with so little time available (2 seconds!) that normally (with more time) Norytsin would first scan the table to see if the Queen is there or not and then stop the clock for assistance. By concealing the Queen it wastes the last 2 seconds Norytsin has looking for a hidden Queen. His opponent has not only interfered with his wish to promote a Queen but the mere act of hiding the queen uses up time on his opponents clock before he presses to request assistance. If the Queen is not there to grab immediately time is wasted concluding this and stopping the clock to get assistance. Even if the entire process takes 1 second in this case it could be 50% of the remaining 2 seconds he has.
                            I have read that apparently in speed chess less scrupulous players have been known to hang on to their opponents Queen in a time scramble. I have had a few players do this to me in speed chess and it is very annoying. Some years ago there was a game in England with Colin Mcnabb and another player that was clutching his Queen in his hand. He screamed at him "you have my Queen!" and slammed the clock back down.
                            Bator's silence when the arbiters were under the mistaken impression that Queen's were available did not appear to be ethical. Initially you hear the arbiter saying it was his fault for not having a Queen and then the other one points to the Queen and says it is available pointing to the Queen Bator had just placed there moments earlier.
                            Bator interfered with his opponent being able to follow the rules of chess including the proper procedure to follow thus he should forfeit his game. Article 12.6 of Fide
                            "It is forbidden to distract or annoy the opponent in any manner whatsoever. "
                            Bator violated this rule whether wittingly or unwittingly by hiding his Queen at a crucial moment that any player would find VERY ANNOYING under the circumstances and certainly would be a distraction to the opponent who is taking time searching for his queen rather then playing chess.
                            Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Wednesday, 5th July, 2017, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                              What will the ruling be for players who bring fidget spinners to tournaments? They will no longer fidget with pieces.
                              John, I see what you did there ...lol!

GM Bator Sambuev: Canada's clutch player of the year!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                                GM Bator Sambuev: Canada's clutch player of the year!
                                ok, full disclosure... *that* did make me LOL
                                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                                X