Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Controversial Finish To Canadian Championship

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
    Why this notion of having a table with extra Queens set up somewhere in the room? Who came up with that garbage idea, forcing players to stop the clock, go to this table, get their Queen, come back and put it on the board, then press their clock, giving their opponent extra time to think of a response?

FIDE should declare that an official set of chess pieces include the 16 normal ones of each color, plus 2 extra Queens, 1 extra Bishop, 1 extra Knight, 1 extra Rook of each color, and that each player have these extra pieces of their own color in front of them before the game starts.
    Why not go further? There's 8 pawns, so we need 8 of each pieces. 8 Queens, 8 Rooks, 8 Bishops and 8 knights. Can't be safe enough.

Also, we're gonna need bigger tables.

Comment

I kind of like Neil's idea better (that plus having just an extra queen already available near each player, in important games anyway). It's extremely unlikely a player will need more than two queens, or to underpromote more than once, during a time scramble anyway. I'd personally not mind using an inverted rook as, say, a Q, if nothing's instantly available, but not allowing that, as is the current rule, is understandable (e.g. aesthetics, possible confusion about the identity of said piece later on).

On the other hand, if a player needs to underpromote to, say, a N, and the opponent is allowed by some sort of possible loophole in the current rules of chess to unconditionally handle captured pieces, including both of his opponent's Ns, in his hand(s), unthinkingly or otherwise...
      Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 7th July, 2017, 02:06 AM.
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
        Fwiw, not that many years ago I needed to underpromote to a knight to win, in order to avoid giving stalemate (or obtaining a B+wrong rook's pawn drawn case).
        For anyone interested, here's a link to a blog entry re: my (annotated) five games from the 2013 Gatineau Open, as can be played over by a PGN viewer. The N underpromotion occurred in my round 4 game, at move 75:

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/en...eau-Open-games
        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 7th July, 2017, 08:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Canadian episode is mentioned in Anand-Kramnik two hand move
          https://www.chess.com/news/view/did-...s-kramnik-1822

Comment

Originally posted by Mavros Whissell View Post
            Look at the whole video Peter. From 9:49-12:46 Bator has only one piece in his hand and it is the Black Queen. It is hidden under the table in his hand. Everything else is above the table and visible.

I'm not going to give out the pop culture reference if you haven't seen it regarding "evil" :)
            Oh yes, yes YES, you may call that Mastur Bator "ing" the Queen! Sorry Grand Masturbator, it just sounds like it! But please do not masturbate the Queen, she is most needed during promotion. For the arbiter, as a chess player, I don't even know where is the pause button of the clock? And please do not ask expect me to pause the clock (not STOP the clock since stopping my clock, starts my opponent's clock). The right word here should be PAUSE not STOP the clock. All I know as a chess player is to STOP my clock, in order to START my opponent's clock. Chess players do not even know how to set their clocks, how much more to PAUSE a clock?!

Comment

Working...
            X