Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Controversial Finish To Canadian Championship

Originally posted by John Upper
    t will be interesting to see what the appeals committee says about this.

I know that at least one IA (not Canadian) has written that Nikolay's moving his captured pieces away from the board during Bator's moves could be construed as annoying and distracting behaviour. That seems harsh to me, but I can see his point.
    I don't see the point at all, no one complained about Nikolay's behavior as distracting or annoying. I have found several incidents including at least three players on these forums alone myself included finding the witholding of a Queen to be VERY ANNOYING AND DISTRACTING.

Comment

I agree that in the case of So writing notes, he had been warned previously and in that case what happened was predictable...

After all the back and forth on this issue (Sambuev - Noritisyn),
      I am inclined to think this is just an epic failure to provide proper arbiter coverage and
      the resulting kerfuffle is unfortunately not unexpected. There is a lot of blame that can
      be splashed around and that makes the resolution very difficult.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
        I don't see the point at all, no one complained about Nikolay's behavior as distracting or annoying. I have found several incidents including at least three players on these forums alone myself included finding the witholding of a Queen to be VERY ANNOYING AND DISTRACTING.
        I agree that fiddling with captured pieces is annoying - more so in a time pressure situation or Armageddon game.

Maybe a committee consisting of you (Sid), Vlad the Impaler and Ben the Lawyer can meet to provide a resolution?
        *that* would be entertainment... ;)
        Last edited by Kerry Liles; Thursday, 6th July, 2017, 03:33 PM. Reason: change smile to a wink
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Sid, knowing what you now know, if you were to organize a tournament how would you deal with GM Sambuev's registration to play in your tournament?

Comment

John,

Your arguments are decent, at least the ones I had the time to read. Its a bit ridiculous how you carry on. Try to get to the key argument, I find you are worth reading.

You are right it was a second queen, fair point.

However, don't waste your time trying to be a kind of thought police on something where there is a video to look off of. You know where you can take that advice and shove it :). Its a free country and I never said Bator had intent. But he clearly interfered with the result of the game. Speculation is fine. The actions shown in the video are highly questionable - whether there was intent or not does not matter so much.

My opinion - oh great thought policeman! - is that you are too focused on the arbiter. Yes he screwed up "bigly" - but damn it man, he had help.

Despite decent and even quite correct arguments (times, number of queens, etc), you are being just as biased when you seek to curtail blame like this when there is clearly video evidence to the contrary.
            Last edited by Mavros Whissell; Thursday, 6th July, 2017, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Mathieu,

It was my mistake if I was too aggressive. I just wanted to provoke thought from you. I think you have a clear bias against the arbiter - you don't like him. That's all. I took no sincere offense from your post, and apologise for offending you with mine.

I just think its a big mistake to overlook what really happened, simply because it is a chance to make a fool out of an arbiter who has probably pissed you off before. The arbiter now does look the fool - he has his punishment. You and many others know his name.

That is what you sound like you are using this as an opportunity to do, I believe. I don't think its the whole storey.

Comment

In this instance, as John Upper pointed out, its a second queen that is being promoted to. My mistake. This is completely a different storey to me.

Bator therefore has zero guilt in this storey. It sets no precedent.

Its not Bator's job to stop the arbiter or resign if his opponent would have been forced to have a rook instead.

Comment

Yes, you are correct.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Controversial Finish To Canadian Championship

Louis,

About this table with 40 Queens on it...

Did Sambuev in anyway quietly approach the table and sweep them all off into a plastic bag, before hurling said bag out the window?

This would certainly be the precedent I was worried about.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                      Sid, knowing what you now know, if you were to organize a tournament how would you deal with GM Sambuev's registration to play in your tournament?
                      He would be treated no different then any other player. I have no idea what was going through his head. My point is that if someone hangs on to an opponents Queen, even, accidentally, especially during fast time controls then this should fall under rule 12.6 of not allowing distractions or annoyances. 12.6 has no provision for accidentally distracting or annoying an opponent. Either the opponent finds it annoying or distracting or he does not, in this case he did.
                      Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Thursday, 6th July, 2017, 08:04 PM.

Comment

He would be treated no different then any other player. I have no idea what was going through his head. My point is that if someone hangs on to an opponents Queen, even, accidentally, especially during fast time controls then this should fall under rule 12.6 of not allowing distractions or annoyances. 12.6 has no provision for accidentally distracting or annoying an opponent. Either the opponent finds it annoying or distracting or he does not, in this case he did.
                        I agree, but I do think that there needs to be some sort rule. Perhaps something about captured pieces remaining un-clutched(?) un-fidgeted(?) and placed in plain view to the opponent.

This a great opportunity for the CFC to take the lead on the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                          ...I do think that there needs to be some sort [of] rule. Perhaps something about captured pieces remaining un-clutched(?) un-fidgeted(?) and placed in plain view to the opponent.

This a great opportunity for the CFC to take the lead on the matter.
                          The idea for a new rule that you suggest is, more or less, already part of Japanese Chess (aka Shogi) official rules. In that game, the pieces that a player captures suddenly (but often temporarily) 'belong' to him (as is also the case in Crazyhouse or Bughouse Chess), in that one of them might be dropped on the board instead of making a move. However, the captured pieces must remain in view of the opponent(s), as you suggest. Thus it seems in principle a similar sort of rule could be applied to the handling of captured pieces in a game of standard chess, as you suggest, moreso given that there are similar precidents, e.g. with the other 3 variants of chess I mentioned above.

However, perhaps it might be better if first FIDE, being the international ruling body, would pass any such vital new rule of chess, if it chooses to do so, rather than the CFC, and then it would naturally be applied at every national level, such as for in Canada, to be followed in FIDE rated events there at least.
                          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                            The idea for a new rule that you suggest is, more or less, already part of Japanese Chess (aka Shogi) official rules. In that game, the pieces that a player captures suddenly (but often temporarily) 'belong' to him (as is also the case in Crazyhouse or Bughouse Chess), in that one of them might be dropped on the board instead of making a move. However, the captured pieces must remain in view of the opponent(s), as you suggest. Thus it seems in principle a similar sort of rule could be applied to the handling of captured pieces in a game of standard chess, as you suggest, moreso given that there are similar precidents, e.g. with the other 3 variants of chess I mentioned above.

However, perhaps it might be better if first FIDE, being the international ruling body, would pass any such vital new rule of chess, if it chooses to do so, rather than the CFC, and then it would naturally be applied at every national level, such as for in Canada, to be followed in FIDE rated events there at least.
                            Interested info on those variations, Kevin.

BTW, that was sort of my posts here:

http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...814#post114814

And speaking of my 3rd favorite country of all time ...I just purchased an original Hokusai!

Comment

Fwiw, not that many years ago I needed to underpromote to a knight to win, in order to avoid giving stalemate (or obtaining a B+wrong rook's pawn drawn case). Thus, it might not necessarily be enough to have a table with extra queens in the room, during a time scramble with little time to think calmly.
                              Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 7th July, 2017, 12:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
                              Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                              Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                                Fwiw, not that many years ago I needed to under-promote to a knight to win, in order to avoid giving stalemate (or obtaining a B+wrong rook's pawn drawn case). Thus, it might not necessarily be enough to have a table with extra queens in the room, during a time scramble with little time to think calmly.

Why this notion of having a table with extra Queens set up somewhere in the room? Who came up with that garbage idea, forcing players to stop the clock, go to this table, get their Queen, come back and put it on the board, then press their clock, giving their opponent extra time to think of a response?

FIDE should declare that an official set of chess pieces include the 16 normal ones of each color, plus 2 extra Queens, 1 extra Bishop, 1 extra Knight, 1 extra Rook of each color, and that each player have these extra pieces of their own color in front of them before the game starts.
                                Only the rushing is heard...
                                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                                X