Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almonte Open - Now in October!

Hi everyone -

Just a quick heads-up that once again this year there will be an Almonte Open. Once more we will be at the beautiful Mill of Kintail, but this year the tournament will take place the weekend of October 28th-29th. I will be posting details in the coming weeks, but I wanted to let everyone know now.

"But what will we do for chess in August?" I hear you cry. Well I'm glad you asked! Look for my thread on the new Smiths Falls Open, organized by new tournament organizer Jeremy Stzuka! Congrats Jeremy! Details to come!

Re: Almonte Open - Now in October!

National Capital Open?

Comment

The old weekend for the Almonte event unfortunately had clashed with a family member's birthday. Now it might be possible for me to go, if not this year then another.
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

2nd Almonte Open - An EOCA Grand Prix

The Almonte Open returns at a new date! This Eastern Ontario Grand Prix event takes place at the Gatehouse of the Historic Mill of Kintail, just minutes outside of Almonte, Ontario. Enjoy a weekend of chess in an idyllic setting within a conservation area. Between rounds visit the R Tait Mackenzie museum, or enjoy hiking the several nature trails.

Event Date: October 28 – 29 2016.

Place: The Mill of Kintail Gatehouse, 2854 Concession 8, Almonte, Ontario, K0A 1A0

Type: Regular Swiss Open, U1900, U1600, pairings in single section with class prizes

Rounds: 5 rounds — Saturday @ 9am, 2pm and 7pm; Sunday@ 9am and 2pm.

Time Control: Game/90 minutes plus 30 seconds/move increments.

Prizes: $500 minimum prize fund guaranteed. Sections and prizes are based on entries and may change.

Entry Fee: $50 if pre-registered, $60 at site. Amateur entry is $30. Amateur entrants are not eligible for cash prizes. Free entry for GMs/WGMs & IMs/WIMs.
        CFC or FQE membership is required. A limited number of clocks and sets will be provided, so please bring your own equipment.

Requesting byes: A maximum of two ½ point byes can be given in the first three rounds.

Registration options:
        1. Cheque by October 15, 2016, payable to: Garland Best, PO Box 1245, Almonte, On, K0A 1A0
        2. Register in person at the RA Chess Club, October 19 or October 26, 7:00-7:30 PM
        3. Register on-site between 7:30 AM and 8:30 AM

Comment

Re: Almonte Open - Additional Information

Directions From Ottawa: Follow the 417 West to exit 155, March road. Turn left onto March Road, towards Almonte. Drive through Almonte to County Rd 29. Turn right onto County Rd. 29 Travel 3 km to Clayton Rd. Turn left onto Clayton Rd, and drive 1.4km to Concession 8. Turn right on to Concession 8 and travel 1.7km. The Mill of Kintail will be on your right.

Directions from Kingston: Take Highway 15 North to Carleton Place. Turn right onto Highway 7 towards Ottawa. After 700m turn left onto County Rd 29. Travel for 16km along County Rd 29, past Almonte, to Clayton Rd. Turn left onto Clayton Rd, and drive 1.4km to Concession 8. Turn right on to Concession 8 and travel 1.7km. The Mill of Kintail will be on your right.

Overnight Lodging: Almonte has several B&Bs. They include the following:
          • Almonte Riverside Inn, 81 Queen St: call 613-461-2745
          • Menzie House Bed and Breakfast, 80 Queen St: call 613-256-8055
          • Celtic Rest B&B, 138 Spring St,: call 613-256-5059

Other lodgings can be found at http://exploremississippimills.ca/li.../where-to-stay

Where to Eat: Snacks and drinks will be offered on site as well as sandwiches for lunch between rounds 1 and 2 and rounds 4 and 5.
          Almonte offers a variety of dining options for meals, including the following:

Coffee, Tea Houses and Sandwiches
          • Baker Bob’s
          • Equator Coffee
          • Robins Nest Tea Room
          • Palms Coffee Shop

Fast Food:
          • Subway
          • Milanos Pizzeria
          • Tim Hortons

Family Restaurant and Pub food:
          • The Superior Restaurant
          • Mama’s Place
          • The Barley Mow
          • Cortelli's

Fine Dining:
          • El Postino
          • Mill St. Crepe Company
          • Heirloom Café and Bistro

Comment

Re: Almonte Open - Preregistration List

Preregistration list as of October 5th.

1. Halldor Palsson - 2035
            2. William Doubleday - 2021
            3. Daniel Xu - 1950
            4. Herb Langer - 1673
            5. Noah Marchildon - 1445
            6. Jeremy Stzuka - 1414

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
              Preregistration list as of October 5th.

1. Halldor Palsson - 2035
              2. William Doubleday - 2021
              3. Daniel Xu - 1950
              4. Herb Langer - 1673
              5. Noah Marchildon - 1445
              6. Jeremy Stzuka - 1414
              Hi Garland, I'll be there for a couple of rounds (sent by email to you)

Comment

Interested... Fide rated?

Comment

Unfortunately no. If i had enough players to have two sections I could FIDE rate the top section.

Comment

Unfortunately I think it's a little too late to send a cheque through the mail and have it arrive by the 15th, so I'll just have to give my word that I'll be there and pay on site on the day.

Comment

Hi Tristan,

Ok, no problem. FYI, I can do paypal now.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                        Hi Tristan,

Ok, no problem. FYI, I can do paypal now.
                        Garland, can we e-transfer to you? Thanks.

Comment

Sure Aris. Just be aware that I'm still a bit of a newbie on this.

Comment

It's okay! I've already made the plans to leave Friday night so that we can be there early Saturday morning in time to register.

Comment

Hello, I received the following message when I tried to send a private message about coming to Almonte later this month:

Garland Best has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Please let me know the best way to contact you, Garland.

Ted

Comment

Working...
                              X