Back after all these years - The Smiths Falls Open!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back after all these years - The Smiths Falls Open!

The opening event of the 2017-2018 Eastern Ontario Grand Prix takes place at the Smiths Falls Lions Club, in the middle of sensational Smiths Falls. Enjoy a weekend of chess in a town with a rich history, situated about halfway between Kingston and Ottawa, on the historic Rideau Canal. Between rounds you could visit the Heritage House Museum, The Railway Museum of Eastern Ontario, or enjoy a walk along the Rideau Canal and adjacent parks.

Event Date: Saturday August 12 to Sunday August 13, 2017.

Place: Smiths Falls Lions Club, 19 Abbott Street South, Smiths Falls, Ontario, K7A 4S1.

Type: Regular Swiss Open, pairings in single section, with class prizes.

Rounds: 5 rounds — Saturday @ 9am, 2pm and 7pm; Sunday @ 9am and 2pm.

Time Control: Game in 90 minutes plus 30 seconds per move, starting from Move 1.

Prizes: Sections and prizes are based on entries and may change.

Entry Fee: $50 if pre-registered, $60 at site. Amateur entry is $30. Cash ONLY. Amateur entrants are not eligible for cash prizes. Free entry for GMs/WGMs & IMs/WIMs, if pre-registered by August 3, 2017.

CFC or FQE membership is required. If you do not have a regular CFC membership, Tournament Memberships will be available for $20. All games will be CFC rated.

A limited number of clocks and sets will be provided, so please bring your own equipment if possible.

Requesting byes: A maximum of two ½ point byes can be given in the first three rounds, which must be requested before Round 1.

Organizer: Jeremy Sztuka Tournament Director: Jeremy Sztuka

Registration options:
    1. Register in person at the RA Chess Club, July 20, July 27, August 3, or August 10, from 7:00-7:30 PM.
    2. Send an email to jsztukachess at gmail dot com. Please note in your email if any byes will be needed (or not).
    3. Register on-site on Saturday August 12th between 7:30 AM and 8:30 AM.

Please note in regard to all 3 Options above – in order to finalize registration, payment of entry fee (cash) is due by 8:30am on August 12 in order to ensure eligibility for a pairing in Round 1. Alternatively, email-money transfers are okay instead of cash. No cheques.

About the Venue: The room at the Lions Club has ample space, including air conditioning plus a refrigerator, kitchenette, and coffee maker on site. Coffee, tea, and bottled water will be available to all players.  

Additional Information:

Directions From Ottawa: Follow the 417 West to exit 145, Highway 7. Take Highway 7 into Carleton Place, go straight through first light, turn left at second light on to Highway 15 (just past Esso on left hand side). Stay on Highway 15 until get into Smiths Falls (about 27km). When you get to the end you will have the option to turn left or right – turn right. Stay on about 0.5km until get to a traffic light. Go straight through this light for another 0.5km or so, where you will get to a second traffic light. Turn left here on to William Street West (which will turn into Abbott Street North) – about 1.4km total. You will pass over a bridge over the Rideau River, and come up to another traffic light once passing over the bridge. Go straight at this light (on to Abbott Street South), Lions Club (also called Lions Den) will be on your left.

Directions from Kingston: Take Highway 15 North into Smiths Falls where this road turns into Lombard Street. You will see a McDonald’s on your right hand side. Shortly after that, you will come to a traffic light, turn right on to Abbott Street South, and the destination will be on your left hand side.

Where to Stay:
    *I would recommend booking a hotel sooner rather than later as during the summer they tend to fill up fast!

Where to Eat:
    • I highly recommend Matty O’Shea’s (Irish) Pub for lunch and/or supper. They are located at 12 Chambers Street in Smiths Falls. I have negotiated with them, and we have a special 10% discount available for the weekend of August 12-13, 2017 – you just need to advise them that you are here for the “Smiths Falls Chess Tournament Discount”. Our discount applies to food and non-alcoholic drinks only.
    • Within walking distance of the Lions Club, there is also a Subway, Tim Hortons, Harvey’s, Dairy Queen, Pizza Hut, and McDonald’s.

Re: Back after all these years - The Smiths Falls Open!

Thanks Jeremy & Garland!

Comment

Are all the dates for the Grand Prix set?

Comment

It's good that an old tournament (and one well outside Ottawa) is returning.
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Almost. We wanted to announce this one now, so people have time to make plans.

Comment

Agreed. And it's great to see new people volunteer to organize tournaments. I believe that more tournaments in more locales in eastern Ontario will help rejuvenate the EOCA.

Comment

PS: There is an EOCA mailing list. To be notified of upcoming events email me at gbestchess at gmail dot com and I'll add you to the mailing list.

Comment

bumping this for Jeremy

Comment

Smiths Falls Open - reminder

A reminder that the Smiths Falls tournament is only 3 weeks away. Registration list so far is as follows:

Bill Doubleday (1/2 point bye Rd 1)
                  Aris Marghetis (1/2 point bye Rd 3, 0 point bye Rd 4)
                  Herb Langer
                  John Hay
                  Tristan Masters

So if you want to play, we are taking registrations at the RA Chess club on Thursday July 27th, August 3rd and August 10th. We look forward to seeing you there.

Comment

Re: Smiths Falls Open - reminder

Is there a more up-to-date list of entrants?
                    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Updated pre-registered list for 2017 Smiths Falls Open as of August 5,2017

David Gordon 2301

Robert Villeneuve 2053 (1/2 point bye Round 3)

Halldor Peter Palsson 2050

William Doubleday 1977 (1/2 point bye Round 1)

Aris Marghetis 1855 (1/2 point bye Round 3, 0 point bye Round 4)

Raymond Dickson 1822

Spencer Martin 1775

Ray Kuryliw 1725

Herb Langer 1712

Rene Poulin 1599

Alwin Ning 1390

Kirk Dickson 1345

Oswin Ning 1215

Dave Westbury 1031 (1/2 point bye Round 3)

John Hay 931

Tristan Masters UNR

I will be at RA Centre in Ottawa this Thursday August 10 from 7pm-7:30pm to take any further registrations. For those that cannot make it to the RA you can always email me to get added to the pre registered list: jsztukachess at gmail dot com

Comment

Update - Prize Distribution

- I will be paying out First, Second, and Third overall, plus 2 class prizes (U1900 and U1600).

Note: Players will not be eligible for more than 1 prize (i.e. if a player rated 1899 gets Third Place overall in the tournament, they will get the bigger prize for which they are otherwise eligible only, so meaning they would get the Third overall prize but not the smaller U1900 class prize). Exact prize amounts will be based upon final amount of entries. For the purpose of the class prizes, I will be using CFC ratings as of today (August 7).

Comment

Update - Draws for $10 Gift Certificates at 2 Smiths Falls area Restaurants

1. Shortly before the beginning of Round 2, I will be doing a draw for one $10 Gift Certificate for Perfect Thyming Restaurant, located at 17 Chambers Street, in Smiths Falls. They are a breakfast and brunch restaurant, open 7 days a week, 7am to 3pm. All players playing in Round 2 will be eligible for the draw.

2. Shortly before the beginning of Round 4, I will be doing a draw for one $10 Gift Certificate for Matty O'Shea's Pub and Restaurant, located at 12 Chambers Street, in Smiths Falls. They are an Irish-style pub with a patio, serve lunch and dinner, are open 7 days a week, including Saturdays 11:30am to Midnight, and Sundays 12pm until 8pm. All players playing in Round 4 will be eligible for the draw.

Comment

$25 Gift certificate at Strategy Games in Ottawa!

Great initiative Jeremy!

Strategy Games (Ottawa) will provide a $25 Gift Certificate, which you can draw at any time you want during your event!

Strategy Games. 250 Bank Street in Ottawa

Must be redeemed in person before Sept 1, 2017.

You just have to provide me with the name, e-mail and telephone number of the winner.

www.strategygames.ca

Larry

Comment

Re: $25 Gift certificate at Strategy Games in Ottawa!

Thanks for your support Larry!

I will do the draw shortly before Round 5 and notify you of the winner after the conclusion of the tournament.

Kind regards,

Jeremy

Comment

Working...
                              X