CFC Rating Question - Winning tournament and losing rating points.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Rating Question - Winning tournament and losing rating points.

It used to be in the old days, that if you came clear first in a tournament, you could not lose rating points. Has this rule been changed? I have come clear first in 3 tournaments in Alberta and lost rating points.
    Also my FIDE rating seems to have gone to 0 on the CFC website. Has this happened to anyone else? Just curious.

Re: CFC Rating Question - Winning tournament and losing rating points.

Yes, it changed years ago; well over a decade if I recall. I think it was to stop the "easy" points from being accumulated in dribs'n'drabs by players playing in much weaker events to pad their rating. I'm not sure if there is now a certain %/perf threshold needed NOT to lose points for a clear 1st finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
      It used to be in the old days, that if you came clear first in a tournament, you could not lose rating points. Has this rule been changed? I have come clear first in 3 tournaments in Alberta and lost rating points.
      Also my FIDE rating seems to have gone to 0 on the CFC website. Has this happened to anyone else? Just curious.
      Sam says the rule changed, but I am not so sure. I thought it was still in effect. If anyone can direct me to the original rule or it's cancellation, I will look at it and adjust rating if appropriate.

The FIDE rating field in CFC database is no longer being updated. All FIDE ratings set to zero recently.
      Too much effort to keep this field updated compared to simply directing you to the FIDE site.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        Sam says the rule changed, but I am not so sure. I thought it was still in effect. If anyone can direct me to the original rule or it's cancellation, I will look at it and adjust rating if appropriate.

The FIDE rating field in CFC database is no longer being updated. All FIDE ratings set to zero recently.
        Too much effort to keep this field updated compared to simply directing you to the FIDE site.
        Or, perhaps the CFC Rating Auditor can comment or confirm?
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
          Yes, this "bonus" point rule was removed. Also removed was the rule that added points for 1st place finish.

Rating gain or loss now has correspondence to placement in an event - only the results of the individual games.

Comment

The rating system sucks. It helps underrated juniors get points and decimate established rated players. It will never be fixed at the lower end at the upper end it changes little. The whole system is out dated and needs a complete overhaul if you want memberships to increase. All I see is the guys that played during my early years have either given up playing under rated players or just simply quit.

Comment

Personally, I like that you can win a tournament and lose rating points. I was just curious. I remember in Lethbridge last year when I had the tournament wrapped up, my opponent offered a quick draw in the last round, but I had to tell him no, since I would lose too many rating points. It is probably also fairer to the players who are trying to catch him.

Underrated juniors always means deflation. That is why bonus points are sometimes infused into the system. CFC ratings and FIDE ratings seem closely aligned, so can't be a big problem. Saying the rating system sucks might be oversimplifying it, since Professor Elo put a lot of work behind getting the formula right. I am pretty sure it results in a bell curve, but if as John suggests, we have a lot of underrated juniors, then there will be deflation, which has to be addressed. Perhaps, Fred can comment.

Thank you Fred and Bob for your answers and clearing up the matter. Also, good idea not updating FIDE ratings on CFC site, since they can easily be found on FIDE website.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                Interestingly enough, I recently lost rating points while still winning the tournament (clear first by 1.5 points see http://chess.ca/crosstable?tournamen...059&key=170707). My rating went down only 11 points, however it shows it does occur.

Comment

And here's one of mine from back in 2002....http://chess.ca/crosstable?tournamen...062&key=170707
                  But I can't remember if that was before the rule, or after its revocation.

Comment

I have been rating auditor for 6 years. There has not been any inflation or deflation during those years.
                    Somewhere on the CFC website you can find my quarterly reports filed with the governors' meetings.
                    John has often told me that all his friends are quitting chess because they don't like losing to kids. They are playing chess for the wrong reasons.
                    Paul Leblanc
                    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Well said Paul, although I understand losing rating points does hurt the ego, but not enough to quit the game. I am pretty sure that as well as maybe not being as sharp and knowing openings when you are young, that the general population has definitely got better. I used to not like to lose to 'kids', but it actually hurts more now to lose to someone my age or older. lol.

Glad to hear our rating system works. The USCF was always trying to tweak their system and they ended up getting an inflated system - not good for big class prize tournaments.

Comment

One of the main reasons older players lose to kids is that the kids are working on their chess and the adults due to family responsibilities or other influences don't have as much time to spend on studying chess. I find when I spend some time studying chess the payoff is almost always immediate. Spending three hours refreshing your openings or even just studying the games of one of the top players who plays similar openings to what you play usually results in wins that can be traced back to something you learned from that study.

Kids have energy and kids have time to study. They also often have coaches which means that they systematically study chess. You want to reverse the trend of losing to "underrated" kids? Spend some time studying chess. Learn from every loss.

Comment

I'm not against losing to juniors as they are sharper than us now.

What I'm against is losing to underrated juniors those with a 900 or less rating. Sure deduct my 16 points for losing to them and give the increase rating by your ratio calculator to them so their ratings go up (call it their bonus points for winning)but don't take the additional points from me. That is why my older friends are quitting. They don't see the use in playing in tournaments against these underrated juniors if they get their ratings decimated.

In my opinion That is where the system fails.
                          You would get more players out if you only changed the lower players drastically when they win games and let the players with established ratings keep a little dignity. The older players will retire on their own once they see they can no longer maintain an established rating. But take all those points away in lets say three tournaments then sure they are going to stop coming to tournaments where there are underrated players.
                          Numbers for most tournaments are down yet we have an increasing number of juniors playing. So if you had old and new together your numbers would improve.
                          But the way the system works you kill the old so they won't come out and the new are not playing regularly enough to allow organizers to run big events like the Toronto Labour Day Open, Toronto Open and Thanksgiving Open. I used to look forward to the Labour Day Open to meet old friends and compete with the new guys on the block but in the later Labour Days I saw very few of the old guard coming out from the past. So I started asking around and it is mainly because the rating system decimates the ratings when you lose to too many underrated players.
                          Last edited by John Brown; Saturday, 8th July, 2017, 07:08 AM. Reason: corrections/additions

Comment

I thought the k factor was recently changed for juniors?

I recently played 2 juniors rated 1500 who played like 1500!! Shocking. I'm used to losing to 1660 juniors who play like 2000.

It's not a factor of my openings or studying games. I lose because of missing squares, liking double-edged positions, lack of clarity, with anxiety about time and being worn out as contributing factors. I think some of my errors are different than when I blundered when I was younger.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                              I'm not against losing to juniors as they are sharper than us now.

That is why my older friends are quitting.
                              But the way the system works you kill the old so they won't come out and the new are not playing regularly enough to allow organizers to run big events like the Toronto Labour Day Open, Toronto Open and Thanksgiving Open. I used to look forward to the Labour Day Open to meet old friends and compete with the new guys on the block but in the later Labour Days I saw very few of the old guard coming out from the past. So I started asking around and it is mainly because the rating system decimates the ratings when you lose to too many underrated players.
                              The coached kids play solidly (not brilliantly), one can't just count on a blunder but need a winning plan.

Maybe the ratings need a reduced k factor for established seniors (over 50) playing rising juniors.

Comment

Working...
                              X