Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CO (U 1800) New Blogs Awaiting Posting On Ct

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
    If you substitute 52...Kd7 (illogical but legal) for 52...Kd5 the rest of the game makes sense:

52. Kd3 Kd7 53. Nf5 Ne5+ 54. Ke3 Nf7 55. f4 gxf4+ 56. gxf4 Ke6 57. Nd4+ Kf6 58. h4 Nd6 59. Kf3 h5 60. Ne2 Nf7

When I referred to move 60 I meant the scoresheet numbering; your 'reconstruction' seems to have added two moves, so for you it would be 62...Nf5.

Stephen
    Hi again Stephen:

Thanks for putting your finger on from where the confusion was arising.

In my game in my database, you are absolutely right.....62....Nf5 should have been played instead of .....Nf7.

Paul would win my hP, and then draw!

Thanks for pointing it out to both of us, and anyone else who may play over the game.

It is really great that the scores are being scanned and made available.......some of the games, even in the U 1800 section, have been wild, fun and interesting.

Bob A

P.S. Thanks for the 57...Kd7 move to correct the illegality, and still get the game. I had missed that option. I'll now go substitute your move in (With a note on the illegality).
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 12th July, 2017, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Bob's Chess Blog

(See Knight Logo below)

2017 Canadian Open Chess Championship – U 1800 – Day 4

Day 4 – Tuesday, July 11/15

9-day Group – Round 4 (@ 6:00 PM)
      6-day Group – Rounds 1 (@ 11:00 AM) & 2 (@ 6:00 PM)

Prior Blogs

I have now done four prior blogs (9-day Option Schedule):

1. Preliminary Notice (Posted Sunday, July 9)
      2. Day 1 – Rd. 1 (Posted Sunday, July 9)
      3. Day 2 – Rd. 2 (Posted Monday, July 10)
      4. Day 3 – Rd. 3 (Posted Monday, July 10)

For those who have not been following the blog, reading them before this Blog # 5 may be helpful to get more details, as background. I must do blogs, based to some extent on earlier ones, otherwise there is way too much repetition for regular viewers. You will have to scroll down my personal page a bit to find them.

The Night Before (Monday)

After I posted my Day 3 Blog about 10:00 PM, I then dealt with an e-mail (My Wife) and a Fb Message (My friend). I then started preparing the Day 4 Blog draft covering today, July 11. It is now going to be a bit more complicated, since today the 6-day group joins the tournament, and catches up in the next 3 days…..for Rd. 7 on Friday, the groups are combined. The pairings will then be from the merged pool.

So the total no. of players in my U 1800 section is now 39! We are the biggest section now:

Master Section – 29
      U 2200 Section – 34
      U 1800 Section – 39
      U 1400 Section – 33

Total Registered - 135

But I tired earlier than expected and I went to bed about 12:00 AM this morning…..tired but still quite happy about my over-all play so far (though not so much re Game # 3 Monday night)!

Morning (Tuesday)

I again woke up early @ 4:45 AM; as I have said, about 5 hrs sleep, or less, is not unusual for me during tournaments – of course, there is somewhat of a crash after I get home!

I then entered my round 3 game with Victor (Top Seed), which I had lost somewhat miserably, playing much too fast……too excited about life generally, and being alone in the lead in particular. I got time to analyze it as well, and found where I had gone wrong in the aggressive defence I had tried to play…..my line is quite playable, if done right (sigh). Then I entered my Rd. 2 game against Paul and had enough time to begin analyzing it.

Undriadi Benggawan of Toronto, a chess friend staying in the residence in the same pod as me, and I had arranged on Sunday for us to go to breakfast together this morning. He showed about 7:00 AM. He was going to go for a morning run, and then be back to go to McD’s about 8:00 AM.

Undriadi came about 8:00 AM and we headed out for McD’s. In the parking lot, we met Bob Gillanders who is in the 6-day group in the U 1800. He had driven up Monday, arriving about midnight, and with the help of friends, found his way to and into the residence for the night!

As most of my Fb friends know, I have the mental illness, Bi-Polar Disorder. Undriadi and I got talking about retirement (He’s still working), and so I advised that my retirement had been forced at age 50 by the strengthened onset of the illness. Undriadi was interested and so I advised him a bit about how it affects my life, and how I manage to control it..... most of the time.

At breakfast we discovered that we have very similar family dynamics (Undriadi is Indonesian) despite different cultures.

Then Bob G and Brian Clarke (from Kitchener), both in the 6-day group in our U 1800 section joined us…..two other players were with them (Jamie and Avinash) and sat elsewhere. We discussed a bit the Mississauga CC, where Bob G runs the junior club, and Undriadi the adult one. We touched on the big Canadian issue of the day, GM Bator Sambuev’s winning of the Canadian Closed Championship over IM Nikolay Noritsyn (Former Canadian champion), and Nikolay’s appeal on the basis of irregularities. Brian left to go get something at Staples, and then the three of us walked back to the residence.

I and my wife had a few e-mail exchanges, trying to get a mutual schedule over the next 2 weeks. Then I went to the residence office to see how Linley was coming on my room telephone no. The tech was coming in this aft to set it up.

At the playing hall I met the mother of one of our rising young juniors at Scarborough CC – Eric Ning is playing in the 6-day group of the U 2200 section. The 6 day group started their round 1 @ 11:00 AM. I watched some games for a while, and then returned to continue work on my entered games.

The Afternoon

I then decided on pizza for lunch and drove over to the one nearest the residence at 317 Northern Avenue East (705-254-1234) – near Great Northern - Domino's. I was ordering a medium pizza with 4 toppings. Craig [Kelly – Assistant manager] looked at me a minute, and said he could give me a large pizza at less cost……….didn’t take me long to say “Yes”……and he said “I thought so” – seems they had a special on right then! I thanked him for his excellent customer relations and explained a bit about the CO and my blog…..I said I’d let the other tournament players know that Domino’s “delivers”! So here is my plug, to fulfill my promise……when you go there, just tell Craig “Bob sent me!”.

I hopped into the Dollarstore next door and then drove back to the residence. On the way in I met Chris White from Alberta (?) and Wayne Inkwell who is in our 9-day U 1800 section. While we were talking about my blog (They were quite complimentary – thanks guys), Vlad Drkulec, CFC President joined us. They then went on their way, and then Vlad and I chatted for a bit in the pod on the Canadian Closed Championship, and what the public information was so far – Vlad couldn’t, of course, deal with any of the confidential information.

I then had pizza while I continued work analyzing my second game, and working on today’s blog. Then my wife advised by e-mail she had left a voice mail on our phone, which had been turned off. I misread it and was looking for an email on the phone. I was getting a new floor light and waste basket for the room, and so when the nice staff guy brought it in, he gave me a lesson on cellphone, Wifi and G-mail! But I was looking for what was not there…….I emailed “Precious” that it wasn’t there…..”Husbands are so stupid….voicemail!” – what can I say…..cellphones make me nervous and stupid – true statement (Unlike Trump’s).

When I finally got to go back over to the playing hall to watch our 6-day group, there were only 3 games left, and so I returned to the residence.

By now I was totally exhausted from all this high-tec stuff, and had to lay down for an hour.

At 4:45 P.M. , I then dealt with some other personal stuff, and then got back to updating the Day 4 Blog draft.

At 5:45 PM, I went to the playing hall for the start of the 9-day group Rd. 4 @ 6:00 PM. (The 6-day group were playing their Rd. 2)

My Rd.4 Game

I (Rated 1522) played White against Claude Toussaint (1516) on Bd. 3 in our section (Of 7 boards).

I played an aggressive game and sacked my B for 2 P’s, and later winning the exchange. But Claude managed to see the pitfalls, and find defences. The game was very exciting and complex. At the end, we were both trying to queen, me being up the exchange. But Claude found a way to eliminate both runners, and I had to win with R vs B. I have never studied chess (Except to always analyze my own games), so I had no clue whether it was a theoretical draw as Claude was suggesting. I said he could call the arbiter, but I wanted to try to get the mate. So he just played on. Eventually I gave up and agreed.

Immediately after, Omar Shah who had been watching, explained to me that to get the mate, you drive the opposite K to the colour opposite his B…….so it seems I did have the win, but then allowed him to head for the wrong corner (From my point of view). I don’t mind though…….it was such a good and exciting and challenging game, I felt we both deserved the ½ point!

After the Game

I watched the games ‘til I had the results of my 9-day group U 1800 section. So at 10:00 PM I went back to the residence to finish work on the Rd. 4 Blog draft, and post it.

But Undriadi, a chess friend in our residence pod heard me come in and invited me in for a glass of wine…..can’t turn that down! So we talked about family, autism, brain plasticity, and other run-of-the-mill stuff. Our little “interlude” was most enjoyable, as we got to know each other a little better.

At 11:30 PM I got to work finishing this blog.

U 1800 Leaders after Rd. 4 (9-day group – 15 players)

1st/2nd – 3.5/4 pts. – Undefeated – Victor Itkin (1761 – top seed in our group); Grisha Crnilovic (1617).

3rd/7th – 2.5/4 pts. – Wayne Inkpen (1696); Craig McGilly (1524); Me (1522); Kirk Sadler (1422); Robin Belanger (1439).

U 1800 Leaders after Rd. 2 (6-day Group – 24 players)

I had a problem with this.

Here is what I understand to be the case (And if I need correcting, maybe some arbiter will jump in and explain it to all of us).

At normal weekend tournaments, there is a results page posted on the wall outside the playing hall. All players are to make sure the result is posted. This is great for both players and public, since with a bit of work, they can list who is leading.

But at Canadian Opens, usually, it is more formal. The public results sheet is done away with. The arbiters receive the scoresheets and results. They keep their own private results sheets. These are not for public viewing, theoretically.

. . . Cut as too long . . .

Comment

There are visible result sheets at the arbiter's table at the back of the room.

Comment

Bob,
          K and R vs K and B is usually a draw. To try to win you must drive the king to the corner the same color of squares the bishop runs on.
          Mario

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Moran-Venegas View Post
            Bob,
            K and R vs K and B is usually a draw. To try to win you must drive the king to the corner the same color of squares the bishop runs on.
            Mario
            Thanks Mario - I guess I confused what Omar had told me, since I don't know the theory.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Peredun View Post
              There are visible result sheets at the arbiter's table at the back of the room.
              Hi Andrew - thanks for this - you are referring to the results sheets on the arbiter's clip board, I take it, since I saw no public sheet which was a duplicate of the arbiters'.

As I said, it is usually turned around towards the arbiters, and you have to know what you are looking for ......... there is no sign advising that the results are there and available to view.

As I also said, I have never had any issue on this......arbiters across the country have gladly shown me their sheets when I've asked.

As I said in my last blog on this, Hal Bond and Aris showed me the sheets last night, but confirmed they were missing lots of results still because they had been too busy......at that time only two of 7 games in our U 1800 9-day group had been entered on the sheet. That is where it appears a somewhat unavoidable bottleneck occurs and I cannot get the information I am looking for.......I have to wait for the arbiters to post the standings/pairings on the tournament website.

Bob A

Comment

New Day 5 CO (U 1800) Blog - now posted on Facebook Sites

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                As many of my friends know, I have attended most Canadian Opens since 2007. For a number of them I have done a chess blog - sometimes here on Chesstalk, sometimes on tournament websites (Like when the FQE organized an open in Montreal). I was getting about 500 hits per day over 10 consecutive days.

This year I am posting my blog to my personal Facebook page (And two other Fb sites). If you might be interested, here is my URL:

https://www.facebook.com/bob.armstrong.9235

Bob A

P.S. As a teaser.......I am alone in first place during the first scheduled option of play, after 2 rounds. There are 6 players tied for 2nd, 1/2 point back.
                The Day Five Blog (Wed.) was posted shortly after midnight this morning (Thursday), if someone wants to re-post it here.

Glad it is available to more people now.....thanks for the re-posting!

Bob A

Comment

Re: New Day 5 CO (U 1800) Blog - now posted on Facebook Sites

actually I'm at 2.5/5 not 2 :) but the blog is always enjoyable reading

Craig

Comment

There are duplicate result sheets being maintained on the table itself. They are lined up with the scoresheet piles for each section on the part of the arbiter's table nearest the entrance to the playing area.

Comment

I think K and R vs K and B is a theoretical draw but usually the side with the B makes a mistake unless he has studied the proper technique.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Sadler View Post
                        actually I'm at 2.5/5 not 2 :) but the blog is always enjoyable reading

Craig

Hi Craig:

Thanks for the compliment on the blog.......

You rightly point out that my blog hardly has the Pope's infallibility attached to it........I do indeed err (And some have been whoppers in my life).

Because of that, I do, if the timing is right, try to look at the "official" results when posted by the arbiters, to try to catch such errors, before I post.

But last night I posted the blog early, and was tired, and forgot to check to see if the results had been posted, before I hit the sack.

But I'll do some editing, and try to present the real world as it really is..... like my recitation of our game!!

If there are any inaccuracies, I very much appreciate them being pointed out to me, as Craig has done.....thanks.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Peredun View Post
                          There are duplicate result sheets being maintained on the table itself. They are lined up with the scoresheet piles for each section on the part of the arbiter's table nearest the entrance to the playing area.
                          Hi Andrew:

Thanks......I was unaware of this and had never been referred to them.

I'll now check there after Rd. 6 tonight.

Bob A

Comment

As always, your CO blogging is a fun read, Bob. The only thing I can think of for not merging the 9-day and 6-day schedules for Rd.6 this evening, is to provide more than the few hours between rd.5-6 for the TDs to get the data merged and validated for all the split sections.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Sharpe View Post
                              The only thing I can think of for not merging the 9-day and 6-day schedules for Rd.6 this evening, is to provide more than the few hours between rd.5-6 for the TDs to get the data merged and validated for all the split sections.
                              Correct. I did not want to have the arbiters trying to merge groups in a very short timeframe if the games ran long in the morning.

Also the pairings for the 9-day players would not have been able to be posted the night before (as they have been) as they would have changed based on the results of the morning round.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Sharpe View Post
                                As always, your CO blogging is a fun read, Bob. The only thing I can think of for not merging the 9-day and 6-day schedules for Rd.6 this evening, is to provide more than the few hours between rd.5-6 for the TDs to get the data merged and validated for all the split sections.
                                Thanks for the nice words about the blog, Sam........but you of course you are just egging me on to keep doing this thing forever!

Your suggestion on the merge question has been confirmed below by Andrew. Good shot at it....

Bob A

Comment

Working...
                                X