Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Chess World Cup 2017

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
    I think that Canada (FIDE rep?) needs to make an appeal ASAP. There is nothing in the rules that states that you can't wear shorts, just that the dresscode cannot be inappropriate. Well, who said that shorts are inappropriate, and also how can you demand a chess player in the middle of the game in round 3 to suddenly go look for pants. Absolutely horrible!

Hello,

Assuming all that's been published is true...
    Appeal what exactly?

--

The arbiter came to a player before the game to talk about dress code.

--

The player was confused about colours and asked the arbiter to verify. The arbiter verified, the player didn't dispute. Player-Arbiter relations were seemingly restored, with no obvious consensus on what to do immediately about the shorts.

--

The arbiter didn't take any actual action against the player in terms of what happened on the board itself.

Lets assume for a minute that wearing shorts violated the dress code, which apparently it does not (?), or the organizers didn't specify that they weren't accepting shorts for this tournament.

When an arbiter notices an infraction, or believes it's an infraction, the arbiter should act on it immediately.
    In this case, being dress-code, there is probably a significant range or leeway of what is acceptable, what is not, what is on the fence. Perhaps this is all very mainstream at this type of tournament, but I confess to be rather ignorant on the intricacies of what is defined as acceptable or not. The logical approach should be to be certain that shorts are unacceptable as per handbook or organizer's specific guidelines on these, before approaching the player.
    A printout should be on hand of either, should the player protest.

Provided the arbiter didn't interrupt the game, which he did not, I don't see that the timing was so inappropriate.
    A simple reminder to the player along the lines of: "Mr. Kovalyov, wearing shorts is not acceptable according to the dress code, we expect you to wear pants in future games" should suffice.
    In a polite, professional manner.

Perhaps it would be optimal to catch the player as he is exiting the hallway, letting him know of the rules for future rounds.
    With that said, the arbiter needs to be ready and formulate a case the moment he notices an infraction.
    What happens if the arbiter decides to postpone his decision, and around move 40 during the game, Mr. Rodshtein complains his opponent is not dressed accordingly?
    It wouldn't be acceptable for the arbiter to respond: "I noticed it 15 minutes before the round started but done nothing about it, instead I am waiting until the game ends to let him know".
    Not exactly what you want to hear from an arbiter.
    With that said, if the arbiter noticed it after move 1, he could add to his argument that he chose not to interrupt the game, taking into account that it was the type of infraction (dress-code) that doesn't bring the game itself into disrepute.

Giving the chief arbiter the benefit of the doubt, which seems strange (about not having noticed the shorts in the previous 4 days Kovalyov played), it is also abundantly clear that, the arbiters' team was not on the same page on this. Or that this had not been discussed prior.
    This "infraction" seems not so flagrant as to be dismissed, accepted, ignored or at best unnoticed in the previous rounds by arbiters.

--

Then comes Azmaiparashvili, the chief organizer, blindly and aggressively defending (?) the arbiter and doing what he did to the player.

--

Kovalyov seemingly abandoned the tournament due to his interaction with organizer Azmaiparashvili.

--

Again, what is there to appeal?
    I am under the impression that appeals are made against arbiters, for questionable decisions, with the organizing committee.
    How do you appeal against an organizer? With who? And how about when the organizer is a FIDE VP, or FIDE itself?

Perhaps there should be action, sure. But the forfeit result won't change, and how could it?
    I am guessing what we're talking about is Canada's affiliation with FIDE. Perhaps a letter condemnining Azmaiparashvili's behavior, towards FIDE, and see how they respond. My guess is that it will likely be buried, or at best Azmaiparashivili get an insignificant reprimand, and CFC-FIDE relations be severely tarnished in the process. On the other hand, maybe they should, as this is hard to swallow.
    A letter about the arbiter's interaction should also perhaps be written, if it is found that Kovalyov's shorts are acceptable dress-code.
    However, I think it's important to keep the two issues separate. The arbiter's (wrong?) intervention is one thing. The organizer's verbal attack is something else.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
      it's important to keep the two issues separate. The arbiter's (wrong?) intervention is one thing. The organizer's verbal attack is something else.
      I agree with Alex. I would separate a dress-code from a harassment.

Rules are not set in stone when it comes to dress-code. It is ironic and hypocritical when Zurab wearing jeans with a polo shirt gives a lecture on shorts and/or hoodies. Casual vs semi-casual, not a huge difference. While bermuda shorts are not prohibited, they are not clearly allowed (I think that someone just proposed to 'legalize' bermuda shorts in chess tournaments; it's not in the rules yet; I think that our CFC President is incorrect here). Anyways, a warning would be sufficient for the first time.

Can you wear a shorts in the workplace or chess tournaments or can you force a hijab, it's a different issue.

In my opinion, Anton was clearly being bullied by the organizer. As a CFC member, I would like to see a CFC moral support for Anton in regards of this incident. I don't care whether CFC protest would be buried or not. I would like to see FIDE's reaction on the CFC protest.
      Last edited by Yury Cheryachukin; Saturday, 9th September, 2017, 04:48 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I wrote a letter of protest to the Appeals Committee before I read Anton's account.

He should have been politely asked to upgrade his attire for the next round. I am blown away by Anton's account. Azmai's racial comments were inexcusable. We're not done with this.

Comment

Amazing how everyone assumes the CFC is doing nothing just because they haven't posted on here or Facebook. As if that were the most important place for them to be writing!

Also, someone has posted a picture of what the dress code supposedly actually was:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
            I wrote a letter of protest to the Appeals Committee before I read Anton's account.

He should have been politely asked to upgrade his attire for the next round. I am blown away by Anton's account. Azmai's racial comments were inexcusable. We're not done with this.
            Encouraging update, thanks Hal. Kick some ass like I know you can!

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
              Also, someone has posted a picture of what the dress code supposedly actually was:

The link on dress code looks like the one from the 2013 proposal -
              http://www.chessdom.com/fide-dress-c...riz-marinello/

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
              Amazing how everyone assumes the CFC is doing nothing just because they haven't posted on here or Facebook. As if that were the most important place for them to be writing!
              While I have not made any assumptions about CFC, I was impressed to learn that FIDE Arbiters know how to monitor Facebook. Whether it is related to FIDE World Cup or not, it is a different issue. The next step would be to find official rules about Bermuda shorts in chess, if any. I would appreciate to know how 'someone' knows that it was not an issue in Georgia. Just wondering... Now my assumption is Facebook.

Comment

I believe (strongly) that there are three issues here: 1. the spirit of the law; 2. the letter of the law; 3. the application of the law
                While the no.3 is what CFC may protest to FIDE, and the no.2 is unclear (general rule, World Cup rule, Tbilisi rule), the no. 1 is the root of the problem as I see it.
                The spirit of the law (and the common sense in any society) is to dress appropriate for the occasion, showing respect to the involved parties, especially when you play under a flag. Does CFC - and chess community - agrees with that "I do not care" dress style that Anton displayed in this tournament? Do sponsors and organizers at large agree to have players coming into (big) tournaments dressed like rafters? Should the arbiters, venue staff, spectators be shown a minimum of respect for their time and efforts?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                  Again, what is there to appeal?
                  I am under the impression that appeals are made against arbiters, for questionable decisions, with the organizing committee.
                  How do you appeal against an organizer? With who? And how about when the organizer is a FIDE VP, or FIDE itself?
                  As I understand the arbiter mentioned about the dress code, and then a discussion turned to what color Anton shall play. Nothing extraordinary. As for the color - he would have started the match with Black the third time, though it looks to me that the fate when you beat Anand :)

However, the action (words) by the organizer according to Anton was below any norms. This should go directly to the FIDE Ethics Committee and analyzed through Code of Ethics.

As for the dress code - looks that it is not clear what that means. Looking at pictures of the third day - you can see anything just Anton's shorts are missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentiu Grigorescu View Post
                    Does CFC - and chess community - agrees with that "I do not care" dress style that Anton displayed in this tournament? Do sponsors and organizers at large agree to have players coming into (big) tournaments dressed like rafters? Should the arbiters, venue staff, spectators be shown a minimum of respect for their time and efforts?
                    I believe that Anton's dress style was not too different then many of the other participants in the playing hall including Zurab.

While I think that his judgement to leave the World Cup was not a good one and he also should be dressed more formally, I am on Anton's side with his treatment. It reminds me a toilet scandal between Kramnik and Topalov in Elista. While Kramnik lost a point, he won the match. I would like to see Anton playing in the tournament to the end.

While I am puzzled with lack of pants for intercontinental travel and confusion about white or black color for Round 3, it seems to be an indication of lack of motivation for the tournament. Based on Anton's interviews, he seems to be more focusing on his university program rather on chess at the moment, and he cannot be blamed for that due to his priorities.

I am pleased with Canada-FIDE rep's reaction in a quick manner, regardless of the result. It's not a bad idea to publish this letter or protest somehow. While Anton has no grounds for personal appeal, details of CFC's reaction would be interesting to the public.

Comment

Originally posted by Yury Cheryachukin View Post
                      I believe that Anton's dress style was not too different then many of the other participants in the playing hall including Zurab.
                      Well, if it's gonna be like that, don't expect any sponsor's money...

That's a serious problem with top level chess. The GMs all think the world owes them a living.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
                        Well, if it's gonna be like that, don't expect any sponsor's money...

That's a serious problem with top level chess. The GMs all think the world owes them a living.
                        Just wondering; from Anton's comments he did not have slacks.

So why now?

Why wasn't he warned in round 1???

Comment

The Chess World Cup 2017

September 10, 2017

This isn’t meant in any way to diminish the seriousness of the controversy between Kovalyov and FIDE regarding a Dress Code.

But it has happened before at the Subotica Interzonal 1987. Ribli protested about Short’s shorts and Daniel King, as his second, negotiated compromise. See NIC 1987/7

From that issue:

Round 10
                          Friday 3rd July

Short’s shorts!

I think it was after the Rodriguez game that the controversy broke about Nigel Short’s attire, but first a brief summary of the round:

Smyslov crushed Ernst unmercifully. Tal and Ribli didn’t generate much heat. The game of the day was definitely Hamed-Short. Nigel disdained any equalizing lines after the opening and suddenly realized that his position was so bad that it was already too late even to offer a draw. The pressure mounted and it looked as tough Hammad would win a famous victory when suddenly he allowed Black one threat, which won a whole rook!

Back from the inelegance of chess in a qualifying event, to the splendor of Nigel’s legs. He had worn some rather silly shorts when playing Amador Rodriguez – after all the weather was extremely hot and sticky. This item of clothing has been characterized by a nameless Englishman as being ‘appropriate to an old fashioned bedroom farce!’ One should add for the sake of objectivity however that Lev Alburt’s shorts, which, I hasten to add, he certainly didn’t dream of wearing at the Tournament Hall were definitely in the same league though perhaps of a somewhat different genre. Be that as it may, Short had actually played, and won a fine game of chess in the offending item of clothing. Zoltan Ribli (who as previously mentioned was seriously disadvantaged by Kavalek’s withdrawl) observed this and decided not at all unreasonably, that he would be put off if Nigel played in shorts against him. Ribli therefore complained to the admirable Chief Arbiter Milos Petronic. I haven’t mentioned him previously which I think is very much a measure of what a good arbiter he is. Perhaps ‘Arbiters should be seen and not heard’? – readers of New in Chess are invited to comment on this possibly fallacious aphorism. Anyway rather than making a great fuss, Mr. Petronic, who incidentally is married to the Hungarian IWGM Veroci, very quietly informed me of the problem. I told Will Watson my second, we had a chuckle, informed Dan King and he very gently broke the news to Nigel who more or less cracked up (i.e. laughed – this doesn’t mean became distrait).

At lunch time Dan went and talked to the arbiter and it was agreed that there wasn’t a problem. Nigel could carry on wearing his somewhat ludicrous shorts against other opponents but definitely not against Ribli. When we told this story to the sadly now departed BCF secretary, Graham Lee, he immediately arranged that it be disseminated with Godspeed to the media and a fairly objective report appeared on the front page of The Independent.

Comment

I find it strange to fly in a plane wearing shorts and not to have backup pants in case of a spill. But he was perhaps thinking it will only be a couple of days, then back to school.

The main problem was that he prepared for his game with the wrong colour. Pretty stressful just finding that out then being yelled at.

Couldn't he have a second? Could Sambuev have stayed and helped, for a small portion of the $16,000+ prize money?

Comment

Association of Chess Professionals (ACP) Protests

http://www.chessprofessionals.org/content/acp-protests

Comment

The Chess World Cup 2017

September 10, 2017

1/32 Finals
                                Round Three, Game Two

The playing hall, which was once full of tables and players now has just a few scattered around.

Ian Rogers had this to say a few days ago:

Sitting in the dining room at a Chess World Cup after a round has concluded is a strange experience. Half the people in the room will be competing the next day while the other half (and their seconds) will be going home.
                                The scene after round one of the 2017 Tbilisi World Cup at the Hualing Preference Hotel restaurant was even more surreal.

Hikaru Nakamura quietly chats with his second Kris Littlejohn, while Wesley So is involved in more animated conversation with his former compatriot, Texas-based Julio Sadorra, and 16-year-Australian Anton Smirnov – the latter two both leaving for their respective homes at 3am that night. Levon Aronian, pours himself some tea, dressed as if he had just emerged from the gym, and returns to his table to commiserate with fellow Armenian Hrant Melkumyan, who had just lost an extended rapid playoff match. It was unclear whether Melkumyan would stay around in Tbilisi to help Aronian or take the late night train from Georgia to Armenia’s capital Yerevan.

Then a familiar tune is heard on the restaurant’s background music; Ray Charles singing ‘Georgia on my Mind’ – weirdly appropriate, both in wistfulness and geographical nomenclature.

Grandmasters – unlike, say, tennis professionals – are not used to the ruthlessness and sadness of knock-out tournaments. It is often said of the World Cup, with some truth, that only one player finishes the event fully satisfied, while there are 127 losers.

https://new.uschess.org/news/five-americans-advance/
                                _________

Back to the present. After three hours there are two decisive games. Two young guns have won – Daniil Dubov and Maxim Matlakov. Dubov loves to talk and gives a great interview. It is said that he is the heir apparent to Svidler as a commentator. Daniil is going to play the winner of the match between Aronian and Matlakov. He is great friends with Matlakov and they actually talked about meeting each other in Round Four of the World Cup a month ago in St. Petersburg.

Round 3, Game 2, Sept. 10, 2017
                                Matlakov, Maxim – Aronian, Levon
                                D35 QGD, Exchange variation

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 d5 4.cxd5 Nxd5 5.e4 Nxc3 6.bxc3 c5 7.Rb1 Be7 8.Nf3 O-O 9.Bc4 Qc7 10.Qe2 a6 11.a4 cxd4 12.cxd4 Bd7 13.O-O Rc8 14.Bd3 Bxa4 15.d5 Nd7 16.e5 exd5 17.e6 Nf8 18.exf7+ Kxf7 19.Nd4 Bf6 20.Bxh7 Qe5 21.Rxb7+ Bd7 22.Qg4 Qxd4 23.Rxd7+ Nxd7 24.Qxd7+ Be7 25.Re1 Qe5 26.Bd2 Rd8 27.Qg4 1-0

Dubov, Daniil – Artemiev, Vladislav
                                B96 Sicilian, Najdorf

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Bg5 e6 7.f4 h6 8.Bh4 Be7 9.Qf3 Nbd7 10.O-O-O g5 11.fxg5 hxg5 12.Bg3 Qc7 13.Bb5 g4 14.Qe2 e5 15.Nf5 axb5 16.Nxb5 Qc6 17.Nbxd6+ Bxd6 18.Nxd6+ Kf8 19.a3 Ne8 20.Nf5 Ra4 21.Be1 Ndf6 22.Ng3 Nxe4 23.Rd8 Be6 24.Bb4+ Rxb4 25.axb4 Nxg3 26.Qxe5 Ke7 27.Rhd1 Rxh2 28.b5 Ne2+ 29.Kb1 Qc4 30.Rxe8+ Kxe8 31.Qb8+ Bc8 32.Qxh2 Nc3+ 33.bxc3 Qxb5+ 34.Kc1 Qg5+ 35.Rd2 Qa5 36.Rd4 Qg5+ 37.Kd1 Qf6 38.Qc7 Qf1+ 39.Kd2 Qxg2+ 40.Kc1 Qf1+ 41.Rd1 1-0

Magnus draws with Bu and so is out of the tournament.

Bu, Xiangzhi – Carlsen, Magnus
                                D45 QGD, Semi-Slav

1.Nf3 e6 2.c4 d5 3.d4 Nf6 4.Nc3 c6 5.e3 Nbd7 6.Qc2 b6 7.Be2 Bb7 8.O-O Bd6 9.e4 Nxe4 10.Nxe4 dxe4 11.Qxe4 Nf6 12.Qc2 c5 13.Qa4+ Nd7 14.Rd1 O-O 15.Ne5 Nf6 16.dxc5 bxc5 17.Nd7 Ne4 18.Rxd6 Nxd6 19.Nxf8 Qxf8 20.Be3 Nf5 21.Rd1 Nxe3 22.fxe3 h6 23.Rd7 Be4 24.Rxa7 Rb8 25.b3 Qd8 26.Qd7 Qf6 27.Rc7 Qa1+ 28.Kf2 Kh7 29.Qxf7 Qb2 30.Qf4 Bd3 31.Rxg7+ Kxg7 32.Qc7+ Kg6 33.Qg3+ 1/2-1/2

Giri, Nakamura and Kramnik are in trouble in their games.

See next post

Comment

Working...
                                X