X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rd3.1 Kovalyov - Rodshtein

Originally posted by Brent Golem View Post
    From ChessBase India:

ECU President Zurab Azmaiparashvili speaks about the shorts incident involving Anton Kovalyov at World Cup 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukuxx1RHs3g&sns=em
    He was asked to change his clothes. He left the playing hall and did not return. I am surprised he did not return, maybe the location of his clothes was so far way that he could not make it back in time?

Comment

Re: The Chess World Cup 2017

If he has worn the same shorts throughout the tnmt, I can understand he would be upset, but still should have changed into a pair of pants or jeans. The Arbiters should be at the entrance checking all this stuff in a consistent manner. The dress code rules does not explicitly rule out shorts, but I fully suspect that Anton has no case to appeal. Quite unfortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        One story that's going around is that Anton didn't abide by the dress code.
        He wore the same shorts as in the previous games he played in.

https://www.facebook.com/susanpolgar...55762173166664

Comment

The Chess World Cup 2017

September 9, 2017

This is my transcription of the following interview. I may have missed a few words but I believe it is substantially correct!

From YouTube:

Zurab Azmaiparashvili speaks about the shorts incident of Anton Kovalyov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukuxx1RHs3g&sns=em

Interviewer: Anton Kovalyov didn’t turn up for his game. Can you tell us exactly what happened?

Zurab: When I entered the playing hall, I saw there was some problem and the Chief Arbiter was not happy with the situation and I asked what is going on.

He said that he warned the player, Kovalyov, who was wearing short pants and he warned him he could not play because there is a Dress Code for the World Cup. And players know this very well because they signed the undertaking with FIDE where it is written and there is also a Law of Chess where it is written about the Chess Code.

So, when I see that there is a situation that the Chief Arbiter cannot solve himself, I went to the player, because I am not only here as Chairman but also as an Organizer of the tournament, and I have a responsibility.

I asked Mr. Kovalyov to follow the Dress Code rule and he said that previously that he had dressed this way at previous World Cups and I said that I don’t care how you played previously but that the Chief Arbiter asked him and I am asking him also to take normal pants and conform with the Dress Code in the playing hall. Otherwise, the Chief Arbiter and I will make a report and you will be punished financially by FIDE. There is a financial punishment.

Mr. Kovalyov, GM Kovalyov, didn’t like this and left.

But I really was thinking that he finally understood me so that he went to his room to change his pants. But later we understand that he just became angry and left the room and he didn’t come back. Which is very sad for me because I don’t like it when some player gets a point like this and it is not good generally for the tournament. But it if it is specified for the Dress Code I am in favour of following the Dress Code and if there is a rule then everybody must follow the rule including the players, the arbiters or the officials, it doesn’t matter. So, here we have to be a strong organization. I believe we have to be strong in FIDE and not allow anyone not to follow our regulations and our rules.

Interviewer: Kovalyov also dressed in a similar fashion against Anand and at that point he was allowed to play?

Zurab: Well actually, I asked about this incident to the Chief Arbiter because I have heard from other arbiters today that they said that Mr. Kovalyov has already used to play like this. I asked Arbiter Delega and he exactly told me that he didn’t know about this because they showed him this for the first time because the tournament is not so small and he was probably not in a visible distance from the Chief Arbiter. But there were many arbiters, Sector Arbiters, who must follow the regulations and we have to speak to the arbiters and, in my opinion, get a warning about this. And we have also have to discuss in FIDE not to allow such arbiters to work there who are not following the FIDE rules.

It is very sad news for me since I heard about this. And I am pretty sure that Vishy Anand is a very respectable player, one of my favorite gentlemen actually. I am sure that he did not feel not so comfortable when someone breaks the rules but did not ask the Arbiter, and behaved like a gentleman. This is the Arbiter’s job and unfortunately one of the arbiters there did not follow the rule and we, FIDE, would have to discuss this.

Interviewer: If Anton would like to play the next round, would he be allowed to do so?

Zurab: Of course, we’d allow, because there is no rule, which exists not to allow him to play. But if he makes such a protest, in any case, a protest from his side, the Chief Arbiter has to make his report and based on this, because this ignores the tournament, ignores the player, ignores the organizer and so on and if Mr. Kovalyov is trying to play some other dirty game, it is up to him. But normally of course the player comes tomorrow to play the game and follows the Dress Code otherwise it will be the same.

I am sure the Chief Arbiter will ask him again to follow the rule.

Interviewer: Will there be any other action taken against him apart from him losing the point?

Zurab: Well this is not really my job here. This is the job of the rules committee to make some action. Our job is to report to FIDE and FIDE makes the decision.

Interviewer: Thank you.

Comment

In other news, Carlsen just lost with white, to Bu

Comment

Common sense seems to be in short supply among FIDE arbiters. I would guess that, prior to a game, it is critical for a top GM to be in his mental zone in order to play well. Why disturb a player's mental equilibrium just prior to a round over a non-egregious dress code violation? After the round would be the time for a dress code discussion. Unfortunately, what's done is done.
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

I think that Canada (FIDE rep?) needs to make an appeal ASAP. There is nothing in the rules that states that you can't wear shorts, just that the dresscode cannot be inappropriate. Well, who said that shorts are inappropriate, and also how can you demand a chess player in the middle of the game in round 3 to suddenly go look for pants. Absolutely horrible!

Comment

If it's true that Anton has already left for home then it's too late to have him re-instated, but, I agree that Hal should request that FIDE review the arbiter's decision for correctness and appropriateness of timing. I'd be surprised if anything significant happens. Look at the recent Sambuev - Noritsyn mess. The only member of the NAC who faulted Sambuev for a violation of the FIDE law (11.5??) regarding disturbing your opponent was the non-IA, Ilya Bluvshtein. The other NAC members, all IAs, never even bothered to explain why 11.5 should not apply. Maybe arbiters in general need to remember that they exist to serve the interests of good and fair chess; they're not gods.
                  "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                  "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                  "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

The Chess World Cup 2017

September 9, 2017

Interview with Tomasz Delega

Interviewer: About the incident that happened today in an interview with Chief Arbiter Tomasz Delega from Poland. In the third round of the World Cup, everyone knows after fifteen minutes Anton Kovalyov was not at the playing venue and that is why he lost his game. Actually what happened?

Chief Arbiter: Before the game, ten minutes before, I asked Mr. Kovalyov about his shorts. I told him that in my opinion that is not the correct dress code for the World Championship and he answered me that they are the only shorts that he has for the tournament. And then he started a claim regarding the pairing, the colour of the game is not correct. I was surprised as an arbiter because colour is a very important thing for the match. And I decided to go to my computer and check the colours also go to Vladimir Chuchelov for publishing the pairing on the website to be sure that the pairing is OK. During this trip I told Zurab Azmaiparashvili about this case and went to my computer and Mr. Chuchelov to check this. After checking the pairing was correct and correctly published went back and I saw that Zurab was talking to Kovalyov about the shorts and he decided to go out from the playing hall and finally he didn’t come back.

Interviewer: There is also the question why you didn’t warn him before. Because he was coming with the same shorts in the previous rounds. Why didn’t you ever ask him about the Dress Code rules before?

Chief Arbiter: This is the first time that I saw him. I acted today but not earlier. For me this is a very important event but I am first time in the World Cup and the second time in a FIDE tournament so I have a lot of other things to do. But now in the third round and less players and I have more possibility to control things and it was just nice to talk to Mr. Kovalyov if it was possible to change this.

Interviewer: So it was not possible…

The interviewer was Anastasiya Karlovich.

Comment

• Re: The Chess World Cup 2017

Hal and Vlad, get the lead out and get onto this matter a.s.a.p. Pretend you are Americans or Russians. This is quite unacceptable grandstanding by the pompous twits in FIDE. Outrageous.

Comment

Anton's version on CB indicates some pretty disgusting behaviour by Zurab. I think other stories in the past have also told of similar garbage.

Comment

This is just awful!
                          We're here to win - not short-changed!

Any non-chess 'violation' should have been addressed after
                          the game/round! Zurab's admitted comments are out of line.

Go Anton!

Over to you Mr. Bond:)

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
                            This is just awful!
                            We're here to win - not short-changed!

Any non-chess 'violation' should have been addressed after
                            the game/round! Zurab's admitted comments are out of line.

Go Anton!

Over to you Mr. Bond:)
                            "Go Anton"???? What the f*ck are you talking about?...he left the venue and is on his way home! You should be proud of your idiotic support of this group of thugs during the 2014 FIDE elections.
                            http://danailov-for-president.com/?p=3339"]
                            Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
                            What is your opinion? From Facebook today. Anton Kovalyov 23 mins · I wanted to wait a little till I calm down, but I'm tired of seeing lies everywhere. So here's what happened: The issue were not the shorts but how I was treated. I came to the game and was approached by the arbiter asking me to change (first time). I told him that I don't have pants with me, and then I noticed that I was playing black instead of white, which came as a surprise for me and asked him to check that. He and the other arbiters checked and confirmed to me that I'm playing with black, we talked a little and everything was fine. Then came Zurab, he was very agressive, yelling at me and using the racial slur "gypsy" to insult me, apart from mentioning several times that I will be punished by FIDE. I told him that I had asked before at the previous world cup if what I was wearing was OK and I was told by somebody from the organization that yes. Zurab, in a prepotent way, said he doesn't care, he's the organizer now. At this point I was really angry but tried not to do anything stupid, and asked him why he was so rude to me, and he said because I'm a gypsy. So imagine this, the round is about to start, I'm being bullied by the organizer of the tournament, being assured that I will be punished by FIDE, yelled at and racially insulted. What would you do in my situation? I think many people would have punched this person in the face or at least insulted him. I decided to leave. Worth pointing out, I didn't take any pants with me because I gained some weight and they were to tight. If the organizationof the tournament would have warned me sooner I would have taken a cab to the mall and bought pants, without any problems whatsoever, but instead I was treated like garbage. I was too stressed out by the way I was treated and the threats of being punished by FIDE no matter what I do, so I choose to leave before I do anything stupid. Another point worth pointing out, Zurab never asked me to go and change, the conversation consisted of threats, insults, and agressive behavior from Zurab. He was clearly provoking me. I will not appeal anything. I am disgusted by this type of people. I don't want the money. I'm coming back home.
                            Here is an interesting piece about Zurab's history, he is a thug just like his boss Kirsan. I absolutely believe every word Anton said is true. The CFC and other federations supported a known thug (who naturally has other thugs on his team) these are the horrible consequences that chess fans and players now deal with,.... the fall out from chess federations idiotic support of thugs. http://danailov-for-president.com/?p=3339[/URL]
                            Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Saturday, 9th September, 2017, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Sharpe View Post
                              Anton's version on CB indicates some pretty disgusting behaviour by Zurab. I think other stories in the past have also told of similar garbage.
                              Unfortunately, Azmaiparashvili is well known for this sort of arrogant, racist behaviour, relying on the protection of his sponsor, Kirsan.

Comment

The Chess World Cup 2017

September 9, 2017

The statement of Kovalyov, and photos of him (in his shorts) getting in to a taxi and leaving.

https://chessdailynews.com/official-...-cup-incident/

Comment

Working...
                                X