6 GMs in 10th Calgary International

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 GMs in 10th Calgary International

There is still time to join the 10th Calgary International. 6 GMs are participating this year and GM/IM norms are available. Tournament participants include: Guinness record holder for blindfold simul-GM Timur Gareev, Women's US Champion WGM Sabina-Francesca Foisor among others. Visit www.calgary-international.com to find out all the tournament information.

Vlad Rekhson
    10th Calgary International
    Head Organizer

Re: 6 GMs in 10th Calgary International

A 7th if you count GM Gashgarian who is better known as GashMan!

Comment

It looks like a great opportunity for players building up experience against GMs. They're a big hole for IMs. Where are all the IMs - head to Calgary!

Comment

Won't the presence of half a dozen REALLY weak players have a deleterious effect on those hoping for norms?
        Paul Leblanc
        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
          Won't the presence of half a dozen REALLY weak players have a deleterious effect on those hoping for norms?
          Not really! You are allowed make one player the 'rating floor' which for an IM is 2050 and a GM is 2200. If you play 2 players under the rating floor, then you would have to use one of their ratings. See https://www.fide.com/component/handb...4&view=article Presumably if you beat someone under the rating floor, you would not have to play another such player, else, yes, it would make it very difficult.

Also, for an IM norm, you must play at least 3 players who are titled (IM, GM or WGM). Due to lack of gm's, you would need to play most likely 3 gm's. For GM norm, you need to play 3 GM's and your opponents avg rating 2380. IM norm the min avg is 2230.
          Also, you must play 2 federations besides your own.

I hope that answers your question Paul.

Comment

You are right Paul.

For someone looking for an IM or GM norm in a tournament with a sizeable % of players rated below 2000, it is vital that you win in round one when you are paired down and then at least draw and preferably win in round 2 when you are paired with one of the top seeds. If you don't you will likely get a pairing with a second lower rated player and that will make getting a norm very difficult. Ian is right about the boost to the ratings of lower rated opponents for norm purposes, but it only applies to one opponent. Thus getting paired with two sub 2000 players would make getting a norm quite difficult.

Ideally, I think the best sort of field for someone seeking a norm is to have a floor of 2000 or even better 2100 and to have lots of potential opponents for norm seekers in the 2300-2550 range.

Of course, there are other requirements as well pertaining to nationality and titled opponents.

Comment

I agree with Eric that this is not the ideal field to get a norm, however, still possible. For me to get an IM norm, it would have been nice to have some 'weaker' IM's in the field, but c'est la vie. I am grateful to play in a tournament where norm possibilities exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
                I agree with Eric that this is not the ideal field to get a norm, however, still possible. For me to get an IM norm, it would have been nice to have some 'weaker' IM's in the field, but c'est la vie. I am grateful to play in a tournament where norm possibilities exist.
                Agreed. Its good to have Canadian norm tournaments.

Comment

Thank you for the details Ian. The reason I'm curious is that we have great hopes for Jason Cao to get his 3rd IM norm in the Calgary International.
                  Paul Leblanc

Comment

Looks possible, but he also has to get his rating over 2400 to be eligible? There are so many regulations. I think he would have some time to do that.

Comment

Only 13 spots left.

http://www.calgary-international.com/registered.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
                        Does posting on Chesstalk get those spots filled?

Has direct emails to masters been done (as should be done for all international events across the country)? On the FIDE list Canada has 16 active IMs (some just played in the CO or CC), 19 inactive. And there are 39 active FMs. Perhaps travel from the East is too expensive but maybe get some BC players? Bringing GMs without players who can get norms seems like a waste.

Comment

As far as BC is concerned, IM Bindi Cheng would have been an excellent choice but he hasn't been playing much lately. Not sure if he was invited.
                          BC Champion Jason Cao is already registered and needs a third IM norm. FM Tanraj Sohal definitely has IM potential but I'm not sure if he was invited either.
                          Our Olympiad Team members are missing in action again.
                          Paul Leblanc

Comment

Under the fees as published, a 2199 Adult Foreign player could enter for $70, but a 2200 Adult Foreign would have to pay $120. A change to one byte in the table would fix that.

Comment

Maybe to help our FMs get norms we need the foreign GMs to bring along IM Friends (who could share the same hotel room to reduce costs).

Comment

Working...
                              X