Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some numbers from the last Canadian Closed

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    First you have to actually run for the office AND get elected. I don't like your chances, but that is just my prediction.
    By all means go for it. The CFC needs help and if you are the chosen one you can have a turn at it.
    Thanks for your insight, Kerry.

When elected I'll personally put 5k towards next year's Canadian Closed. If that covers the lease of DGT boards great! I never want to see paper boards and plastic pieces at our best of the best event ...ever again.

Add that amount to my offer of doubling the membership numbers.

You say the CFC needs help ...here I am.

So, I'll repeat this one last time:

If the majority of the VMs want me to run I'll grab a membership and stand for pres. Some of you reading this post are VMs ... get in touch with your fellow VMs and we'll all meet here on CT.
    Last edited by Neil Frarey; Wednesday, 26th July, 2017, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

When elected I'll personally put 5k towards next year's Canadian Closed. If that covers the lease of DGT boards great! I never want to see paper boards and plastic pieces at our best of the best event ...ever again.

If the majority of the VMs want me to run I'll grab a membership and stand for pres. Some of you reading this post are VMs ... get in touch with your fellow VMs and we'll all meet here on CT.
      I like the idea of the Canadian Closed using DGT boards (not sure if anyone leases them, but...)

Running the CFC is not about a bunch of random single acts - I am sure any past CFC president (and the current one) can detail how much administrivia and other mundane issues take up enormous amounts of precious time. The reality is that chess players are cheaper than cheap and far too many are not willing to spend any money or, more importantly, TIME on the CFC.

It is extremely difficult to drum up volunteers for even the most specific tasks. There are competing factions: adult chess; junior chess; master and master+ level chess etc. Satisfying the demands of all the various factions becomes a delicate political dance where there is no winner and many losers. I am not trying to paint only a negative outlook but this is the reality I see. One sees the same reality on a micro scale in many clubs: there are a small number of volunteers doing all the work and most members would rather the club fold than have to spend more or do more (or do something...)

I wish you luck. You have some good ideas but I notice you don't have a good understanding of many of the issues facing the CFC; that may turn out to be an asset afterall.

I am not a voting member (or whatever they are now called) but I was a Governor at one time and got frustrated by the inability to generate enough interest across a huge list of Governors and the subsequent inability to accomplish anything at times. There has to be a team of people to take on this task and it will be formidable. Good luck.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Neil, am I reading you correctly here? Are you saying that if elected Prez of CFC, you will write a check of $5000 (Canadian) to whomever organizes next year's Canadian Closed? Or wait, maybe there isn't a Canadian Closed next year, is it every 2 years? Well, I believe Bob Gillanders has launched an effort to organize the 2019 Canadian Closed. So are you prepared to write a check to Bob Gillanders for $5000 which must all go towards the 2019 Canadian Closed if you are elected President of the CFC?

If so, does that $5000 have to all go towards leasing of DGT boards? Or would Bob Gillanders be free to disperse the money as he sees fit among all expenses, including prize monies?

Personally I don't see much if any ROI on leasing DGT boards. It's not like someone watching is going to think, "Wow, they're using electronic boards, this is really impressive" and do some sponsorship for some subsequent events.
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
          Neil, am I reading you correctly here? Are you saying that if elected Prez of CFC, you will write a check of $5000 (Canadian) to whomever organizes next year's Canadian Closed? Or wait, maybe there isn't a Canadian Closed next year, is it every 2 years? Well, I believe Bob Gillanders has launched an effort to organize the 2019 Canadian Closed. So are you prepared to write a check to Bob Gillanders for $5000 which must all go towards the 2019 Canadian Closed if you are elected President of the CFC?

If so, does that $5000 have to all go towards leasing of DGT boards? Or would Bob Gillanders be free to disperse the money as he sees fit among all expenses, including prize monies?

Personally I don't see much if any ROI on leasing DGT boards. It's not like someone watching is going to think, "Wow, they're using electronic boards, this is really impressive" and do some sponsorship for some subsequent events.
          Thanks for your interest! To be honest, I budgeted 10k in all. My commitment to double the membership (excluding Life & Honorary) stated that I'll pay to the Treasurer 1 dollar for every member that I fall short. So, worse case round up to 2k. 5k to the C.C. hopefully for DGT rental:

http://chess2inspire.ca/Chess2Inspir...uipment-rental

I have yet to contact them. But I was hoping that at least the top boards were done up proper. They come with extra queens ;) Paper boards & plastic pieces ripped my heart out.

So that's about 7k.

Add to that Garlz fantastic commitment ...I forget his exact wording. Something about 5 dollars for every member that is over the doubled number.

There's a lot that needs to be done, Paul. Including the refurbish of our national trophies ...now that I found them!

We'll have a line of CFC merch by Xmas!

--------

But I'm beginning to think nobody cares anymore ...which is a true shame.
          Last edited by Neil Frarey; Sunday, 30th July, 2017, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your interest! To be honest, I budgeted 10k in all. My commitment to double the membership (excluding Life & Honorary) stated that I'll pay to the Treasurer 1 dollar for every member that I fall short. So, worse case round up to 2k. 5k to the C.C. hopefully for DGT rental:

http://chess2inspire.ca/Chess2Inspir...uipment-rental

I have yet to contact them. But I was hoping that at least the top boards were done up proper. They come with extra queens ;) Paper boards & plastic pieces ripped my heart out.

So that's about 7k.

Add to that Garlz fantastic commitment ...I forget his exact wording. Something about 5 dollars for every member that is over the doubled number.

There's a lot that needs to be done, Paul. Including the refurbish of our national trophies ...now that I found them!

We'll have a line of CFC merch by Xmas!

--------

But I'm beginning to think nobody cares anymore ...which is a true shame.

I didn't see an answer to my questions there. Let's just talk about the $5K you are promising to the Closed for 2019 if you become CFC President.

So let's say you run against Drkulec in what, a few weeks from now? And you win. Do you immediately cut Bob Gillanders a $5K check of your personal money towards the 2019 Closed? If yes, does Bob have to spend it on DGT board rentals?

Don't be vague on the logistics of this, if you want people to vote for you. Rather than nobody caring, it might just be a lot of mistrust. If people knew that $5K of your money was going immediately to the Closed, and that it could be spent on any legitimate expense of the Closed including prize funds, you might get votes.

I understand your feelings about use of paper boards and plastic pieces... but think about what is really mattering to those elites who might want to play the Closed. $5K towards prize funds would do a lot more to get elite players to enter than DGT boards would do, imo.
            Only the rushing is heard...
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Re: CFC Foundation - a good thing!

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
              Neil, I would be quite interested in learning what investments you would make to increase revenue without excessive risk to capital. Perhaps I can apply them to my own personal investments as well. What is your strategy? Sector investments such as in energy or health care? Large versus small cap investments? Whether the stock offers a dividend? Do you invest in individual stocks or in ETFs? What would be your approach?
              There are a few chess masters who make their living off of stock analysis and could help grow the fund.
              In this last year investors could get 100% on Netflix or marijuana stocks.

A big boost was the acquiring of the Toronto housing fund collected from weekend entrants.

I think the fund needs new sources of revenue such as whenever there is sponsorship of the Canadian Open/CYCC there should be 2% of the budget donated to the Foundation.

I found this biography of Bernard Freedman in the March 1977 CFC Bulletin. (He paid for the expenses of the first Canadian Olympiad team in 1939.) "Freedman has only one regret: his plans for the Chess Foundation... whose trustees would be ... wealthy and influential people ... who could mobilize greater resources than the ordinary man."
              Last edited by Erik Malmsten; Sunday, 30th July, 2017, 11:33 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I don't think it is a good idea to make additional disincentives to organizing the Canadian Open.

With increased returns come increased risk. These risks can materialize as a significant loss of the capital of the fund which I don't think the CFC could afford.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                  I didn't see an answer to my questions there. Let's just talk about the $5K you are promising to the Closed for 2019 if you become CFC President.

So let's say you run against Drkulec in what, a few weeks from now? And you win. Do you immediately cut Bob Gillanders a $5K check of your personal money towards the 2019 Closed? If yes, does Bob have to spend it on DGT board rentals?

Don't be vague on the logistics of this, if you want people to vote for you. Rather than nobody caring, it might just be a lot of mistrust. If people knew that $5K of your money was going immediately to the Closed, and that it could be spent on any legitimate expense of the Closed including prize funds, you might get votes.

I understand your feelings about use of paper boards and plastic pieces... but think about what is really mattering to those elites who might want to play the Closed. $5K towards prize funds would do a lot more to get elite players to enter than DGT boards would do, imo.
                  Yes & yes. I'll etransfer money straight to him. And after talks with chess2inspire* hopefully we can do both boards and prize fund ...time we all came together on this event. Our next Canadian Closed should be a model for others to follow. I'm willing to step up ... anyone want to match me dollar for dollar? Garland?

So, as I have clearly stated three times before, I'm NOT going to run unless the majority of VMs want me to be their next president. Meet me here on CT, together we'll get past the Drkulec's of our world ...and start building a great brand.

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                  At some point things are going to go awry and we are looking at at least small deficits if everything stays the same.
                  How sad is that defeatism, Paul?

--------------

*http://chess2inspire.ca/Chess2Inspir...uipment-rental

Comment

"How sad is that defeatism."

It is not defeatism to be realistic. "If everything remains the same" is the key phrase here. There are trends that are working against us. We will need to engage in some countermeasures. The current administration has been careful not to overreach and do things which are not sustainable.

We saw how much buy in $40k bought in the Canadian Open at Sault Ste Marie. I don't think $5k will have quite the impact that Mr. Frarey seems to think it will.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      I like the idea of the Canadian Closed using DGT boards (not sure if anyone leases them, but...)

Running the CFC is not about a bunch of random single acts - I am sure any past CFC president (and the current one) can detail how much administrivia and other mundane issues take up enormous amounts of precious time. The reality is that chess players are cheaper than cheap and far too many are not willing to spend any money or, more importantly, TIME on the CFC.

It is extremely difficult to drum up volunteers for even the most specific tasks. There are competing factions: adult chess; junior chess; master and master+ level chess etc. Satisfying the demands of all the various factions becomes a delicate political dance where there is no winner and many losers. I am not trying to paint only a negative outlook but this is the reality I see. One sees the same reality on a micro scale in many clubs: there are a small number of volunteers doing all the work and most members would rather the club fold than have to spend more or do more (or do something...)

I wish you luck. You have some good ideas but I notice you don't have a good understanding of many of the issues facing the CFC; that may turn out to be an asset afterall.

I am not a voting member (or whatever they are now called) but I was a Governor at one time and got frustrated by the inability to generate enough interest across a huge list of Governors and the subsequent inability to accomplish anything at times. There has to be a team of people to take on this task and it will be formidable. Good luck.
                      This is an accurate analysis of the situation. Most of the job of the CFC executive is fighting entropy and putting out fires. This is true for local organizers as well.

Comment

You're thinking of this post.

http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...l=1#post112101

Offer still stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                          You're thinking of this post.

http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...l=1#post112101

Offer still stands.
                          Good stuff, thanks!

var VMs = 'majority';
                          if (VMs === 'majority') {
                          console.log('Neil is CFC president, CFC will see growth!');
                          } else {
                          console.log('CFC will see a deficit.');
                          Last edited by Neil Frarey; Sunday, 30th July, 2017, 06:16 PM.

Comment

I don't see anywhere that chess2inspire rents out DGT boards - only DGT clocks. However - there is a Montrealer who has (at least) four DGT boards, and he often rents them out with his services to Montreal and area tournaments.

In a restricted-entry "Closed" tournament, I'm sure the players would appreciate the $5k to be invested in prizes and/or appearance fees - rather than in DGT boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                              I don't see anywhere that chess2inspire rents out DGT boards - only DGT clocks. However - there is a Montrealer who has (at least) four DGT boards, and he often rents them out with his services to Montreal and area tournaments.

In a restricted-entry "Closed" tournament, I'm sure the players would appreciate the $5k to be invested in prizes and/or appearance fees - rather than in DGT boards.
                              $5K could buy a lot of extra Queens and other random pieces...
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: Re : Some numbers from the last Canadian Closed

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post

My post was not offensive at all. It was just about the unpleasant reality.
                                I have to agree. From experience I know that criticism, regardless of how it is formulated, is rarely taken positively as it should.
                                People that do not care do not criticize and they sometimes even praise to look good and "positive".
                                Keep trying Victor and disregard the personal attacks that this will invariably bring upon you.

Comment

Working...
                                X