International Chess Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Chess Day!

Happy International Chess Day ... patzers :)

So, what date should we choose for our own Canada Chess Day?

Re: International Chess Day!

July 1st?!:o

Comment

Fwiw, there once was a National Chess Week proposed 10 or more years ago, I think as a Governor's motion with the idea having nationwide simuls for a week, but I recall the idea fell flat at the time.
      Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 20th July, 2017, 04:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Mr. Frarey,
        I do not know about the rest of the country, but in Saint John the date March 31st is very significant for chess. It was on March 31st 1883 that Charles Frederick Stubbs started his Chess Colum in the St. John Globe. I know this date was important to him because he made it a deadline in 1884 for submissions to a problem tournament he attempted. In the February 2017 issue of the Saint John Chess Player I honored this date by making it a deadline for submissions for a chess essay contest open to students. The first prize was a towering hand crafted chess piece trophy designed and made by local artisan and chess enthusiast Bill Ross. Mr. Ross is slated to receive this year’s Charles Frederick Stubbs Award for his promotion and contributions to chess in Saint John. Let others choose the date they want. I claim March 31st as the Saint John Chess Day.

Comment

Originally posted by John Torrie View Post
          Mr. Frarey,
          I do not know about the rest of the country, but in Saint John the date March 31st is very significant for chess. It was on March 31st 1883 that Charles Frederick Stubbs started his Chess Colum in the St. John Globe. I know this date was important to him because he made it a deadline in 1884 for submissions to a problem tournament he attempted. In the February 2017 issue of the Saint John Chess Player I honored this date by making it a deadline for submissions for a chess essay contest open to students. The first prize was a towering hand crafted chess piece trophy designed and made by local artisan and chess enthusiast Bill Ross. Mr. Ross is slated to receive this year’s Charles Frederick Stubbs Award for his promotion and contributions to chess in Saint John. Let others choose the date they want. I claim March 31st as the Saint John Chess Day.
          Good point! The fabric of Canada deserves as much. Let's keep this Canada Chess Day calendar upfront & center. We need suggested dates for: Cities, Provinces/Territories & Canada.

This thing is going to be wonderful!

For Ottawa, June 13th is the day the Ottawa Chess Club sat together for their first official club photo! June 13th 1867. Oldest known chess club photograph in Canadian history? Fortunately I have a copy of that momentous photo shoot :) What I find interesting about that photograph is their shoes/boots! Their faces and posture are full of pride, their clothing well dressed, their shoes/boots well worn! And yes, I fully understand that there other chess interests in Ottawa, but these guys cut the trail that those other chess interests today take for granted.

OK, so far we have...

City

Ottawa ... June 13th
          St.John ... March 31st

Province/Territory

Canada

July 1st
          Last edited by Neil Frarey; Sunday, 23rd July, 2017, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X