Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To our friends at the CFC

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
    Be careful folks.... rumor has it Bob uses a Red Swingline stapler.
    That guy is Bubble's twin brother!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Bubbl...w=1440&bih=791

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
      Good to read ... all though I'm cautious to believe you.

And what exactly gets automatically updated from the time an org fills out the online CFC cross table form? ...
      Neil, I think most organisers use tournament pairing software these days... there may be an "online CFC cross table form", but I should imagine it would be less efficent than just uploading the results directly Swiss-sys.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        Hi Fred,

We usually update ratings at CMA twice a week.

However, our ratings guy, Christian Lacasse, is on vacation from July 22 - Aug 6 so the updated list will appear shortly thereafter. In the old days at CMA, there was no such thing as holidays :).

Larry
        Thanks, Larry. Can't deny anyone their two week vacation :-)

Comment

It's super easy peasy, Fred. I have no idea what you mean "locked down"?

Either go the casual no code route (which I don't like*) as CMA does and put number of players into the same <td></td> tag (table data) as that of the tournament's Name.

CMA example:
          <td>Ottawa Summer Camp 2017 #1 - Drew Metcalfe - Chess'N Math Association / Association Échecs et Maths (Ottawa, ON) - 10 players</td>

*I don't like it because, a) it's separate data and deserves its own column b) CMA site is built on a 12 column grid (bootstrap?) ... super easy front-end stuff to work with!

FQE created their tables the better way:
          <thead>
          <tr>
          <th width="2%"></th>
          <th class="tournoi-nom" width="26%">Tournoi</th>
          <th class="tournoi-ville" width="12%">Ville</th>
          <th class="tournoi-org" width="25%">Organisateur</th>
          <th class="tournoi-arbitre" width="17%">Arbitre</th>
          <th class="tournoi-sec" width="3%">Sec</th>
          <th class="tournoi-type" width="3%">Type</th>
          <th class="tournoi-nbj" width="3%">Nb<br>Jrs</th>
          <th class="tournoi-date" width="9%">Terminé<br>Coté</th>
          </tr>
          </thead>

-------------------------------------------------

Either way, for the CFC, it is super easy to achieve, just depends on your perspective.

And of course, the ability of the president to get 'er done ;)
          A few of us know how to do simple HTML, that's not the problem. It would require hiring somebody to go in and learn how the whole Drupal code is written and find the relative sections, etc.

We can easily change content but not even trivial structure. This is why we appear to still have Active Chess Ratings and probably not the most useful defaults on rating searches.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
            Neil, I think most organisers use tournament pairing software these days... there may be an "online CFC cross table form", but I should imagine it would be less efficent than just uploading the results directly Swiss-sys.
            Thanks John, does that include payment? And are the other data tables, ie. Recent Tournaments and Ratings, automatically updated?

No more announcements of "rating date" ... I would like to know how antiquated processing Bob G. still must do?

Automatic system wide updating would be terrific stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
              We recognize SwissSys, Swiss Manager, and Swiss Assistant (which is a piece of cake if you don't need pairing software).

Any other form of input and Bob has to enter it manually and we charge you more.

Once a week the rating program is run, which sorts the events so they are rated in the proper order and then the ratings are updated.

I'm guessing that CFC memberships are entered manually, but Bob could confirm that.

Maybe there's a cut and paste shortcut for any of the manual stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                A few of us know how to do simple HTML, that's not the problem. It would require hiring somebody to go in and learn how the whole Drupal code is written and find the relative sections, etc.

We can easily change content but not even trivial structure. This is why we appear to still have Active Chess Ratings and probably not the most useful defaults on rating searches.
                I would think that it would be much easier to set up a separate page for simple queries of the ratings database. The ratings database can be accessed separately from the Drupal back end.

If you did that, you would not need to know or mess with the existing Drupal code. Sure you would not have for these pages the look and feel of the main site but you would gain tremendously in flexibility. There have to be any number of people who would be able and willing to write php code accessing the MySQL database directly for you.

Apart from the fairly low level request Larry made (he underestimates the time involved for the change at 10 minutes probably, but not by much), the Crosstable presentation is atrocious, and the ratings auditor has a pressing need for information to track the performance of the rating system. The CFC would be well advised to consider how it can implement these things efficiently.

Comment

We recognize SwissSys, Swiss Manager, and Swiss Assistant (which is a piece of cake if you don't need pairing software).

Any other form of input and Bob has to enter it manually and we charge you more.

Once a week the rating program is run, which sorts the events so they are rated in the proper order and then the ratings are updated.

I'm guessing that CFC memberships are entered manually, but Bob could confirm that.

well, although you recognize output from SwissSys et al, the files from those programs are still sent by the organizers by email from which Bob presumably downloads the files manually for each organizer and enters the filenames into your front end programs. That strikes me as being inefficient compared to the idea that files are uploaded by organizers onto a webform which generates a queue of all files received that week for Bob to initiate processing with one key stroke for the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                    well, although you recognize output from SwissSys et al, the files from those programs are still sent by the organizers by email from which Bob presumably downloads the files manually for each organizer and enters the filenames into your front end programs. That strikes me as being inefficient compared to the idea that files are uploaded by organizers onto a webform which generates a queue of all files received that week for Bob to initiate processing with one key stroke for the week.
                    Yes, you're correct Roger. We do not have the set-up to do that.

Comment

I would think that it would be much easier to set up a separate page for simple queries of the ratings database. The ratings database can be accessed separately from the Drupal back end.

If you did that, you would not need to know or mess with the existing Drupal code. Sure you would not have for these pages the look and feel of the main site but you would gain tremendously in flexibility. There have to be any number of people who would be able and willing to write php code accessing the MySQL database directly for you.

Apart from the fairly low level request Larry made (he underestimates the time involved for the change at 10 minutes probably, but not by much), the Crosstable presentation is atrocious, and the ratings auditor has a pressing need for information to track the performance of the rating system. The CFC would be well advised to consider how it can implement these things efficiently.
                      Thanks for your input Roger, maybe Bob, Paul, you and I can talk off-line.

Comment

Thanks for the info much appreciated, Fred ... and ya I thought as much. Still stuck in the last millennium ...sigh.

This is where the CFC online Cross Table submission form would really shine. And now that mention it Fred so too would a New Membership form. Everything done client side.

System wide, Recent Tournaments, Rating, automatic update is a no-brainer. Including working with your above mentioned apps ratings would update live ...recent tournaments would update live ...and of course tournament cross tables would also update live.

No need at all for the E.D. to do any of this grunt work. At the very most, one click on his iPhone app to approve Pending submissions.

Once this system wide live updating is operational (just a matter of creating a few forms and implementing some Js script to run everything in harmony) it will free up a ton of time for Bob G. to do other stuffs ... like go golfing.

Or, whatever.

Comment

Make a step farther and collaborate with Swiss programmers to have a click to send results to the CFC. Swiss-manager generates the CFC report. Though it easily uploads results to chess-results. Why not to the CFC too :)

Comment

Thanks for the info much appreciated, Fred ... and ya I thought as much. Still stuck in the last millennium ...sigh.

This is where the CFC online Cross Table submission form would really shine. And now that mention it Fred so too would a New Membership form. Everything done client side.

System wide, Recent Tournaments, Rating, automatic update is a no-brainer. Including working with your above mentioned apps ratings would update live ...recent tournaments would update live ...and of course tournament cross tables would also update live.

No need at all for the E.D. to do any of this grunt work. At the very most, one click on his iPhone app to approve Pending submissions.

Once this system wide live updating is operational (just a matter of creating a few forms and implementing some Js script to run everything in harmony) it will free up a ton of time for Bob G. to do other stuffs ... like go golfing.

Or, whatever.
                            All of this seems to presume that tournament reports are sent in "live" - whatever you think that means. Of course, in the real world, reports are sent in out of sequence, late, incomplete, with CFC membership numbers that are wrong, with people's names incorrectly spelled or last name first etc. There are likely innumerable problems and I am sure Bob G. has pretty much seen many of them first hand...

One thing I have always wondered about is what to do about rating events "in sequence" when a rating report comes in (say) a couple of weeks after the event. The actual event occurred at a very specific point in time and maybe the event should be rated in the correct sequence with respect to all other rated events? If ratings were already updated, I guess that is tough: the out of sequence event is rated based on when the report was received not when the event took place. I seriously doubt the ancient CFC software can 'roll back' some tournaments, insert a previously missed one and re-rate the lot... THAT would be impressive but unlikely. Maybe Bob can do that with a bit of manual intervention: rerun the rating update with a slightly different mix.

It would be wonderful if everything could be real time, but the reality is that it is NOT. I am sure organizers can regale you with incidents where people register without CFC membership (claiming sometimes that the cheque is in the mail...) and having to chase down people after the fact is a real nightmare and potentially holds up the processing of a large tournament while sorting out all the crap.

If only it was simply
                            (just a matter of creating a few forms and implementing some Js script to run everything in harmony)
                            OMG, I nearly blew my coffee out my nose when I read that... :)
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              ....I am sure organizers can regale you with incidents where people register without CFC membership (claiming sometimes that the cheque is in the mail...) and having to chase down people after the fact is a real nightmare and potentially holds up the processing of a large tournament while sorting out all the crap....

I think Neil already has that part figured out: he is going to build a big, beautiful WALL to keep out the illegal tournament immigrants, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

It will be a portable wall, likely made from recycled paper chess boards and plastic pieces.
                              Only the rushing is heard...
                              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                                I think Neil already has that part figured out: he is going to build a big, beautiful WALL to keep out the illegal tournament immigrants, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

It will be a portable wall, likely made from recycled paper chess boards and plastic pieces.
                                And on that note keep this in mind:

Distressed Jeans w/ fake mud: $400.00+
                                Distressed Sneakers: $600.00+
                                Distressed Paper Chess Boards: ???

Comment

Working...
                                X