Airline ticket prices. Where's the logic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airline ticket prices. Where's the logic?

Two days ago I looked up the cost of traveling to Montevideo, Uruguay from Toronto for the WYCC dates (September 16 through September 27) and the price was $1100. Yesterday I looked and the price was in the $1400 to $1500 range. Today it was $888. Why the fluctuations?

Re: Airline ticket prices. Where's the logic?

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    Two days ago I looked up the cost of traveling to Montevideo, Uruguay from Toronto for the WYCC dates (September 16 through September 27) and the price was $1100. Yesterday I looked and the price was in the $1400 to $1500 range. Today it was $888. Why the fluctuations?
    Travelocity priceline and other sites reflect the supply and demand thus like any other commodity it will fluctuate. Twenty years ago this was unheard of in the airline industry but the internet has indeed forced a far more competitive marketplace then ever before.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
      Travelocity priceline and other sites reflect the supply and demand thus like any other commodity it will fluctuate. Twenty years ago this was unheard of in the airline industry but the internet has indeed forced a far more competitive marketplace then ever before.
      Perhaps they added additional flights in recognition of the WYCC. Monday and Tuesday's price was for a flight to Panama and then on to Montevideo. Today the flight is to Bogota and then to Montevideo. The first legs of the flights are all on Air Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
        Are you sure you had the same dates and flights? The difference in price is to big to be true.

https://skiplagged.com/flights/YTO/M...-14/2017-09-29

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
          Are you sure you had the same dates and flights? The difference in price is to big to be true.

Real-time analysis of supply and demand can lead to that kind of result. Especially when there's a huge time constraint like for an airline ticket.

Comment

Yep! Today the price dropped a dollar. There is a long layover at one point but flights without layovers (51 minutes which seems to me to be cutting it close) are $1100 today.

If you don't mind getting your teeth knocked out United is offering a flight for $1700.

Comment

Software Engineer here.

ALWAYS use incognito windows when using these websites. Why? Sites use cookies and store all your activity: search dates, destination, airline preference, etc. So next time you visit the site they might use that data against you and manipulate prices at their will.

When you use an incognito window all cookies are deleted when you close your browser.

My .2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Guillermo Mansilla View Post
                Software Engineer here.

ALWAYS use incognito windows when using these websites. Why? Sites use cookies and store all your activity: search dates, destination, airline preference, etc. So next time you visit the site they might use that data against you and manipulate prices at their will.

When you use an incognito window all cookies are deleted when you close your browser.

My .2 cents.
                I assumed Vlad knows this. Also try not to use Safari for booking flights and vacation. I read that Apple users are getting higher prices in their search list.

Comment

I've being using skiplagged.com few times and I saved hundred of $ . One example: direct flight Toronto to Dallas is $300 more than a flight Toronto to Kansas City with a stop in Dallas. The only catch: you cannot have checked luggages.

Comment

I assumed Vlad knows this. Also try not to use Safari for booking flights and vacation. I read that Apple users are getting higher prices in their search list.
                    I usually use a VPN especially when I'm in a hotel as I am now. I am not really looking for a flight. I just wanted to see what players can get flights for.

Comment

Working...
                    X