Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why clubs don't meet on weekends?

Hello guys.

I'd like to know your opinion on this topic.

In my personal experience I find it very difficult to play a classic game on a week day after a long day of work. My brain is already exhausted by 6 pm.

I think we can have a better performance if we play on a weekend with a fresh mind.

Re: Why clubs don't meet on weekends?

Two reasons that quickly come to mind:
    - rent is higher on weekends (and Friday nights)
    - most people like to spend the weekend with their family

Comment

Yeah, that makes sense. Although I'd be willing to pay more if my club decides to increase their rates.

As for family time, I don't think 3 hours (assuming games run from 9 to 12) is a big sacrifice. However, I think this could be a problem for organizers as they would need to "work" on weekends. Unless there are multiple organizers and there's a rotation.

Comment

During my youth, the Saint John Chess Club met on Friday evenings followed by junior chess at the Y on Satuday mornings.

Comment

RA Chess club meets on Sunday afternoons. But I don't go Sundays, only Thursdays. Weekends are my family time, as Sam mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Guillermo Mansilla View Post
            Hello guys.

I'd like to know your opinion on this topic.

In my personal experience I find it very difficult to play a classic game on a week day after a long day of work. My brain is already exhausted by 6 pm.

I think we can have a better performance if we play on a weekend with a fresh mind.
            In addition to what others have posted, most tournaments involve a weekend, so clubs that meet on a weekend might see their attendance drop significantly when there is a local or regional tournament.
            When I was in high school, the Scarborough Club used to meet on Tuesday nights and Sunday afternoons... Tuesday night was the main event - Sunday was another day the club was open for mostly casual
            or drop-in activities.

Club rental fees are becoming a limiting factor - the days of getting a couple of evenings at a venue for cheap are long gone...
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
            X