Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which rating should we use?

Hi Victor,

I don't know about all U.S. organizers but I know that when a Canadian youngster wins the top prize, Bill Goichberg gets massive complaints from American parents. Every year we (the Chess'n Math Association) send a large number of Quebec youngsters to the N.Y. State Championships. First I would like to thank Mr Goichberg for allowing our young players to participate in this great event! I have always had the utmost respect for the man! At the end of the day, Mr Goichberg does not need grief from complaining parents...so he boosts the ratings of our players to reduce the number of complaints from parents.

From my perspective, we are lucky to be able to participate in this event. If we win the top prizes (regardless of the rating they use), it is because we did better than anyone else!

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      I had a chance to speak with the FQE Executive Director, Richard Bérubé at the Quebec Open on the weekend. He made a clear distinction between "in what section a player is eligible to play" and what rating is used for pairing and (I assume) prize purposes. Soo...for whatever reason, a player may not be eligible for an under 1800 section because he or she has a rating somewhere above that mark...when it comes to the rating used for pairing purposes, his or her FIDE rating is the one to use if the section is FIDE rated. Is this how our experts understand things?
      For the sake of simplicity I would suggest using the FIDE rating. At the North American Youth we tried to integrate three rating systems and it resulted in the first round being late. It is far simpler to use the FIDE rating and be done with it in a FIDE rated tournament. With respect to unrated players many organizers simply say that unrated players are not eligible for class prizes. Someone who has an old FIDE rating should probably be considered unrated.

Comment

Thanks for your input!

Comment

I would suggest using the highest of USCF/CFC and FIDE.

Comment

It is entirely up to organizers to choose which rating to use for the players that enter their tournaments.
            To try and regulate this with a central policy would be folly.
            Paul Leblanc
            Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
              I would suggest using the highest of USCF/CFC and FIDE.
              And the CMA rating. Wherever the player is recently active. In Toronto we have had a 16xx CMA kid easily win the under 1600 section. But it takes time to check all those ratings at the last minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                when it comes to the rating used for pairing purposes, his or her FIDE rating is the one to use if the section is FIDE rated.
                I used CFC ratings for pairings though sections were CFC & FIDE rated, and only for some players without the CFC ratings their FIDE rating. Many years ago a gentleman from Germany came and had no FIDE rating only DWZ. It was good enough for pairings purposes too and have not heard complains from FIDE.

However, we force online gamers to start at the lowest section as unrated. At the end of the tournament they agreed that it was a good decision, as online and OTB are very different.

He made a clear distinction between "in what section a player is eligible to play" and what rating is used for pairing and (I assume) prize purposes.
                There could be an organizer's rule that the highest rating over the certain period would be used for sections prizes in a big Open, though an actual rating is used for pairings. I think similar rule is in World Open regulations.

Comment

Working...
                X