Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FIDE, CFC and USCF ratings

I don't really need governors' approval to tweak the bonus point system:
    Handbook Article 414: "The numerical values in the bonus point equation may be adjusted from time to time by the Rating Auditor as deemed necessary and in consultation with the CFC Executive.[/I]"

Increasing the bonus for lifetime high for players below 1200 is an interesting idea that I will look at.

This is a separate topic from Victor's issue that CFC ratings are somewhat inflated compared to USCF and FIDE but increasing the bonus point formula for U1200 players might add to the problem Victor mentions because many of the extra rating points earned by the U1200 players will migrate upwards to the higher rated players.

Maybe the bonus point formula (with more points for lifetime high) should ONLY apply to U1200 players. Probably not popular but it might solve both "problems".

We need to be cautious in making changes to the rating system; it is in very good equilibrium at the moment. Any action to add points should be offset by another action to remove points.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Re: FIDE, CFC and USCF ratings

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      I don't believe that is correct. It certainly is not the Continental Chess Association procedure.
      If that's the case (and perhaps the CCA's rules re: selection of an entrant's ratings are too lengthy for you to quote), I wonder what Egidijus meant by: It seems [in the US] that the TD can choose one of those formulas for placing players into class sections. "... thus providing a degree of protection for the players with the established USCF ratings..."?

What kind of operators are some of our so-called friendly neighbours to the south?
      Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Tuesday, 15th August, 2017, 02:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Working...
      X