Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 CAN CLOSED publicity.

Dear members,

This year I was surprised to hear about the Canadian Championships only AFTER the completion of the event. Was there a link about the event on the first page of the CFC website? How else were Canadian players notified and how much time in advance were they notified so that they could properly make plans? There are players that had missed out on the opportunity to play in that event. How could this have happened?

Re: 2017 CAN CLOSED publicity.

Originally posted by Edward Tang View Post
    Was there a link about the event on the first page of the CFC website?
    Edward, of course there was. The link was there as soon as the event was organized. The problem is that arm twisting is required to find an organizer, and that is because financing for the Canadian Closed is difficult. The next Zonal will be in 2019, preferably by April/May to meet all the FIDE deadlines.

I am considering a bid for 2019. But I got surprised recently by some of the demands from FIDE for a Zonal. Various fees and conditions from FIDE make this an even greater challenge. For example FIDE charges $75 USD per player amongst other demands. Ouch. Support will need to come from various corners of the chess community. I am looking for sponsorship pledges to keep the dream alive. So far, 2 pledges. Anyone else? Send me an email.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Sunday, 13th August, 2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Dear members,

This year I was surprised to hear about the Canadian Championships only AFTER the completion of the event. Was there a link about the event on the first page of the CFC website? How else were Canadian players notified and how much time in advance were they notified so that they could properly make plans? There are players that had missed out on the opportunity to play in that event. How could this have happened?
      If the organizer doesn't have the time, I would assume that the CFC masters rep would have emailed all the masters in Canada. I assume a regular flow of emails for all norm possible events. Right?

Comment

Dear members,

IIRC, there was a link on the CFC page, but the CFC main page is poorly organized. For example the link to the CFC discussion board is at the very bottom and the link itself is labelled "Learn more".

There were a couple of threads about it on here beforehand but a) threads on here can drop off the top very quickly sometimes; b) not all self-respecting chess players read ChessTalk (those without self-respect follow it religiously).

The only thread about it beforehand on the CFC discussion board (CFC News forum) is a single thread started by Vlad D. on May 17, which has no replies.

Interestingly there *is* a thread there started last night about N. Noritsyn's appeal to the Executive. No replies as of yet....

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
          IIRC, there was a link on the CFC page, but the CFC main page is poorly organized. For example the link to the CFC discussion board is at the very bottom and the link itself is labelled "Learn more".
          The CFC website's main page is in effect the face of the CFC, and for a long time it's looked more like a pizza than a face. :(
          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Dagnabbit, now I'm hungry!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post

There were a couple of threads about it on here beforehand but a) threads on here can drop off the top very quickly sometimes; b) not all self-respecting chess players read ChessTalk (those without self-respect follow it religiously).

The only thread about it beforehand on the CFC discussion board (CFC News forum) is a single thread started by Vlad D. on May 17, which has no replies.
              There were no replies on the forum but there were two replies via email. Expect most announcements of any significance to be found on the CFC forum. Sometimes we will follow up with a link on chesstalk but sometimes we won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                If the organizer doesn't have the time, I would assume that the CFC masters rep would have emailed all the masters in Canada. I assume a regular flow of emails for all norm possible events. Right?
                The CFC could have sent the mass email to all members (not only masters were eligible to play) and included the latest CCN with a big advertisement.

Comment

Dear members,

There was a post about it on the CFC Newsfeed, which has 670+ hits: http://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/959

And it was listed in the Upcoming Events post for June, which was a sticky at the top of the Newsfeed page for a month: http://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/962

And, FWIW, though I don't have the emails of all the players (or even all the top players) I emailed the ones I have who played in the previous Zonal.

Comment

The event was first announced on Chesstalk by CFC Executive Director, Bob Gillanders, on May 4, 2017:

http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...anadian+closed

Comment

. . .
                      And, FWIW, though I don't have the emails of all the players (or even all the top players) I emailed the ones I have who played in the previous Zonal.
                      Thanks for your emailing work. But shouldn't it be a priority to have the emails of all active masters and experts? Those who have dedicated many hours to succeed at chess. Perhaps make a list of all names you don't have and send to local organizers to collect from the strong players who enter their events.

The CFC has it backwards, having to have players look up websites. It is the organizers who need to contact the players, to email, letter mail, phone, chat at the club, to prod them back into their arena of excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                        Thanks for your emailing work. But shouldn't it be a priority to have the emails of all active masters and experts?
                        I have only the emails of players I've previously contacted to annotate games for the Newsletter and the Newsfeed, so I emailed them.

I suppose having a moasters mailing list should be the responsibility of the Masters rep.

AFAIK, the CFC tries to collect the emails of all its members, though that's easier said than done, since not all TDs collect emails when they get membership $$. A simple spreadsheet 'sort by rating' of the members list would make it easy enough to copy all the 2100+ players on a mailing list, which could then go to the Masters Rep.

Comment

Working...
                        X