Canada at World Junior Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada at World Junior Championship

Just wondering why Canada has not been represented at the World Junior (U-20) Championship for the past five years. Lack of support... lack of interest... failure to qualify?

Re: Canada at World Junior Championship

Err ... Canada has been sending representatives to the World Junior - last year it was B.C.'s own Davaa-Ochir Nyamdorj.

Comment

The Canadian kids tend to concentrate on WYCC and WCCC. Someone goes to the World Junior when we have interested players. There is usually only one or two ever expressing interest.

Comment

I remember Zhe Quan at the 2004 World Junior and he scored high. If ever anybody was on track to becoming a GM it was Zhe Quan. Whatever happened to him?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
          I remember Zhe Quan at the 2004 World Junior and he scored high. If ever anybody was on track to becoming a GM it was Zhe Quan. Whatever happened to him?
          Sadly, that is a big question about almost all of the promising junior players... a very small fraction become IMs or GMs and not even all of them continue playing (see: Pascal C., Mark B., etc)

I am certain it is almost impossible to make a living as a chessplayer in Canada (even if you teach chess pretty much full time) so I definitely can understand, but it seems so sad to achieve a GM title and then not be able to at least continue playing regularly or semi-regularly.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

This year Canada is sending two official players Richard Chen and Cynthia Cui to WJCC in Italy.

It will be a huge experience for both of them.

Wish them all the best and who knows their Fide rating will jump up after the tournament.

Gary Hua

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              Sadly, that is a big question about almost all of the promising junior players... a very small fraction become IMs or GMs and not even all of them continue playing (see: Pascal C., Mark B., etc)

I am certain it is almost impossible to make a living as a chessplayer in Canada (even if you teach chess pretty much full time) so I definitely can understand, but it seems so sad to achieve a GM title and then not be able to at least continue playing regularly or semi-regularly.
              Yes, the great majority go on to university and when they try to get the GM title later it is much harder. I have respect for the rare minority (like Aman Hambleton) who relentlessly pursue the GM title.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
                Err ... Canada has been sending representatives to the World Junior - last year it was B.C.'s own Davaa-Ochir Nyamdorj.
                Right, I see that now -- the 2016 World Junior in India, won by Jeffery Xiong of the USA. But nothing else after 2012, when Eric Hansen, Aman Hambleton, and several other Canadians took part.

Comment

Richard Wang took part in 2013. No Canadian participation in 2014 and 2015.

Comment

Working...
                  X