Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: some comments about CFC meeting

Re: Treasurer's report, note 2 "Capital Assets":

What is the "National Library"? Where is it physically located, and is there a catalog of its contents? Does it accept donations?

Comment

what we don't have

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

What is the "National Library"? Where is it physically located, and is there a catalog of its contents? Does it accept donations?
      No shit. There are plenty of people who would donate to such an institution. Non-chess players even - those who simply love old books, ffs. Perhaps it's just the right wing view that hates history, and lives in an eternal present, who likes things the way they are: no CFC office, no library, and no dignity for chess players, etc. bleccch.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: what we don't have

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
        No shit. There are plenty of people who would donate to such an institution. Non-chess players even - those who simply love old books, ffs. Perhaps it's just the right wing view that hates history, and lives in an eternal present, who likes things the way they are: no CFC office, no library, and no dignity for chess players, etc. bleccch.
        I wouldn't say we like it that way but maintaining a CFC office gets expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
          How do I contact Paul?

Currently certain geographies have so few Quick tournaments that many juniors are 500+ underrated vs Regular. It would be good to have a regular floor adjustment for juniors e.g. within 200-300 points of Regular. Also having a higher k-factor has no net impact on ratings but brings juniors closer faster.

I personally believe 1-day tournaments will be what is required to expand CFC membership, and addressing quick ratings is important. Although there is currently significant tailwind from juniors entering the system, it will eventually reach equilibrium with a large number existing in the teenage/university years when full weekend commitments no longer possible.
          In PEI we have more Quick tournaments than Regular chess, so Juniors are typically higher in Quick chess. But we have a good enough mix that the ratings are reasonably close (probably a mix of 35-65 or closer is needed).

I will ask Paul to have a look at this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

I think we get this question every year. Bob will have to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              Regarding finances:

Contribution to Olympic team (note 10), however the note 10 is somehow general.
              "10. Notice to Reader
              These financial statements have been prepared by management from the books and records of the organization. They have not been auditied or reviewed by independent accountants"

FQE is mentioned once - "Add: contributions (FQE) -". Has FQE contributed over 2016/17? Is a contract over?
              Obviously the Olympic note is a typo.

Vlad is continuing to work with the FQE President concerning our contract. We received no contribution for the 2016/17 Fiscal Year.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                I wouldn't say we like it that way but maintaining a CFC office gets expensive.
                I'm not crapping on you, Vlad. You inherited a mess and did a reasonable job of cleaning things up. But an office, and an attached library, would be nice.
                Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

I'm not crapping on you, Vlad. You inherited a mess and did a reasonable job of cleaning things up. But an office, and an attached library, would be nice.
                  I didn't think you were crapping on me. I can take criticism. I too wish we could afford an office and employees and could do a lot more than we can do at the moment. The people who are engaged are mostly working to the limits of what they can do. A man's got to know his limitations and so does a non-profit corporation. Last year I went a bit beyond my limitations and paid a price for it and had to take some time off and recuperate.

Comment

In today's world a physical office for an organization with one paid employee makes no sense. I would consider the National Archives of Canada to be our Library for documents of historical importance. It is possible to go to the website search the contents for Chess related material.

Comment

Vladimir Drkulec: "Aris Marghetis has informed us that he needs to decline his nomination but will consider returning next year to the National Appeals Committee after a much needed break. This means that all of the other nominees will be joining the NAC. "

There are 6 persons willing to be on the committee. Only 5 spots. Voting is going. Aris' name is not on the list. Where is a mistake in your paragraph?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        Vladimir Drkulec: "Aris Marghetis has informed us that he needs to decline his nomination but will consider returning next year to the National Appeals Committee after a much needed break. This means that all of the other nominees will be joining the NAC. "

There are 6 persons willing to be on the committee. Only 5 spots. Voting is going. Aris' name is not on the list. Where is a mistake in your paragraph?
                        Someone already pointed this out and I edited my post. Aris was on the original list of nominees.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
                          How do I contact Paul?

Currently certain geographies have so few Quick tournaments that many juniors are 500+ underrated vs Regular. It would be good to have a regular floor adjustment for juniors e.g. within 200-300 points of Regular. Also having a higher k-factor has no net impact on ratings but brings juniors closer faster.
                          I think perhaps a higher bonus or k for juniors who haven't played in a rated event for 6 months or a year. Often that's when they are severely underrated. They may have been very active at school and have been coached.
                          Last edited by Erik Malmsten; Thursday, 24th August, 2017, 01:19 PM. Reason: Cut quote

Comment

Working...
                          X