My Boycott of CFC Active events continues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Boycott of CFC Active events continues...

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
    Does your normal CFC membership not allow you to play in active events? Never heard of anybody caring about their active rating at all. Find this to be quite bizarre.
    Sorry, Lucas what I meant to say is that the rating fee for CFC events are too expensive for Non-CFC members. Also I believe there is a $3 rating fee per tournament for the CFC as well.

As for caring about ratings... mine is too low to care about either regular or active rating!

Comment

chuck the active ratings and the fees.
      i rep back 3+

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Me View Post
        chuck the active ratings and the fees.
        Might you be saying, in other words, the CFC should have nothing to do with Active chess?!
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Hi Kevin:

I would note that " rapid " chess is becoming more and more prevalent at the top levels of chess - top level rapid matches; some rapid tournaments; a rapid world championship.

Maybe CFC should hang in on active, since it seems to be gaining more prominence, and may become more popular. The problem with active ratings is the meagre number of tournaments organizers are organizing, which makes active ratings out of sync often with normal ratings, where more games are being played more often.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Hi Kevin:

I would note that " rapid " chess is becoming more and more prevalent at the top levels of chess - top level rapid matches; some rapid tournaments; a rapid world championship.

Maybe CFC should hang in on active, since it seems to be gaining more prominence, and may become more popular. The problem with active ratings is the meagre number of tournaments organizers are organizing, which makes active ratings out of sync often with normal ratings, where more games are being played more often.

Bob
            It's possible many of the (probably decreasing number of) organizers of regular CFC events saw themselves as being stretched by organizing Active events as well in past years, and so many organizers stopped holding CFC Active events. I kind of doubt there were many organizers who specialized in holding CFC Active events.

So, if the CFC wants more Active events held, it needs more organizers, which is what ails the CFC in other ways. How to get more organizers? I've written about that already: local organizers have to step up and recruit more organizers in their area. This is not something the CFC can do anything about directly (except for the fact that some local organizers are Governors), but it can indirectly. It could create better policies (e.g. reduce fees, correct the CFC Active rating system's deflation, etc.), try to create better public relations for itself, and throw in the necessary step of re-structuring itself as well.

In the past I have agreed with Tom that the CFC would be better off as a professional business rather than as a volunteer organization, but if it must remain a volunteer organization then it must find ways to try to limit the damage caused by any ill-suited volunteers.
            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 9th July, 2009, 01:41 PM.
            Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
            Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Working...
            X