Quarterly for Chess History, Volume V, No. 18, 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarterly for Chess History, Volume V, No. 18, 2017

This publication continues to bring little known information to its readers/subscribers.

I note in this latest volume some Canadian material. I don't know if any of this has been published elsewhere, but here is what I see in this volume.

In the section Chess Miscellany:

a) Canadian Championship, Toronto, 1908-1909. 13 games from this event.

b) Telegraphic Matches in Canada 1871, 3 games involving Toronto, Hamilton and Seaforth.

c) Zukertort in Quebec, February 19-21, 1884, the invitation, offer of tickets and results from The Quebec Daily Mercury.

Available from: http://www.moravian-chess.cz/

Current issue has 591 HC pages. Loaded with material.

Re: Quarterly for Chess History, Volume V, No. 18, 2017

a) a dozen games are in CANBASE, they can also be readily found in the Globe of the period.

b) there were many such matches in the 1870s and 1880s - one of these days I'll write something about them when I have the time.

Comment

Re: Quarterly for Chess History, Volume V, No. 18, 2017

This has me revisiting a section of my chess library: antique newspaper periodicals which have a chess column.

Here's a very brief (but notable) sample:

The Illustrated London News

Nov.22, 1856

Correspondents Chess
      Chess Puzzle

[And below, this remarkable announcement to the world (which BTW I have never seen published in book form of Paul Morphy's games)]

"A youthful Chess Player

Sir - For years past Mr. Rousseau, on account of important and arduous duties, and myself, a votary of rural life, have given up playing chess. My nephew, Paul Morphy, who is incontestably our superior, now holds the scepture of Chess in New Orleans. In May 1850, when only thirteen years of age, he played three games with the Hungarian player Lowenthal of which one was drawn and the other two won by Master Paul. You have herewith one of those games, unfortunately the only one recorded. - Yours, &c, Ernest Morphy"

Ernest Morphy submitted a chess game of that encounter with moves annotated of 1850 Morphy vs Lowenthal 1-0

And another game with annotations which Morphy gives Queen Knight odds to Le Carp/Maurian - draw

Dec.26, 1857

Correspondents Chess
      Chess Puzzle
      Chess in the United States of America

2 chess games with annotations: Paulsen vs Morphy 0-1, Stanley vs Morphy 0-1

Aug.14, 1858

Correspondents Chess
      Chess Puzzle
      10 game match games with annotations: Lowenthal vs Morphy 2 - 7 - 1

Nov.6, 1858

Correspondents Chess
      Chess Puzzle
      Chess in Paris

Chess games with annotations: de Riviere/Journoud vs Morphy 1-0, Morphy vs de Riviere draw, Morphy vs Barnes 1-0

And this gem...

The Illustrated News of The World

CHESS

Correspondents Chess
      Chess Puzzle
      Blindfold Chess simultaneous 4 boards

Chess in Canada

Canadian Chess Association

A.T. Davison (Toronto) vs J.E. Narraway (Ottawa) 0-1

Game score with annotations.

Ottawa Chess Club

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Friday, 25th August, 2017, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X