Chess Canada News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Canada News

A new issue is now available to the public on the CFC website.
    It features a must read interview with Canada's newest GM Razvan Preotu.

Enjoy.

Re: Chess Canada News

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

Enjoy.
    Excellent !!!

Comment

Sounds like Razvan is in Dallas now...during the storm...

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        Sounds like Razvan is in Dallas now...during the storm...
        I don't think the storm is having much of an impact in Dallas. Texas is a very big state.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/da...orecast/351194

Comment

It will be awesome if we can have this interview and news of Razvan Preotu featured in the Canadian mainstream newspaper for example Globe Mail or Toronto Star.

The last GM we had was Eric Hansen and it was already a couple years back. It is really that hard to be a GM.....

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
            It will be awesome if we can have this interview and news of Razvan Preotu featured in the Canadian mainstream newspaper for example Globe Mail or Toronto Star.

The last GM we had was Eric Hansen and it was already a couple years back. It is really that hard to be a GM.....
            Hopefully we will have another GM soon with Aman Hambleton who has two norms of the three required.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
              Hopefully we will have another GM soon with Aman Hambleton who has two norms of the three required.
              I am hopeful that it will be very soon that we will have another GM.

Refer to the interview with Razvan - it will be such a waste if this piece of news ( so well written by John Upper) is confined to current chess player or CFC members only. We should take advantage of this opportunity to spread across more people/players. We should not preach only to the converted ( someone in the CFC executives quoted this ) as they are already convinced but to newcomers as well.

We had Qiyu Zhou who not too long ago became Canada WGM (I think few months ago ).

It takes a long time to have a Grand Master ( man or women ) but it is a splendid achievement as that is the highest title one can achieve unless you are talking about Super GM. By the way, is there a title call Super GM or is it just a name to differentiate the Best and the average ?

Comment

I thought the interview was very interesting, and what the CFC newsletter needs. It's the kind of thing that even if you had already heard about Razvan getting his title (who hasn't?) that is still very informative.

Refer to the interview with Razvan - it will be such a waste if this piece of news ( so well written by John Upper) is confined to current chess player or CFC members only. We should take advantage of this opportunity to spread across more people/players. We should not preach only to the converted ( someone in the CFC executives quoted this ) as they are already convinced but to newcomers as well.
                The newsletter is available on the website to anyone who wants to go there to read it, but I don't see why anyone other than members or former members would have access to it (knowledge that chess.ca exists) or be interested in finding it or searching through it. It would be a great idea to get it published somewhere else (except for the fact that the news is a bit old) if that is at all possible.

By the way, is there a title call Super GM or is it just a name to differentiate the Best and the average ?
                There is no official title of super GM, but it is generally used to refer to players above 2700 to, as you have said, show there is a difference between GMs.

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb Petersen View Post
                  I thought the interview was very interesting, and what the CFC newsletter needs. It's the kind of thing that even if you had already heard about Razvan getting his title (who hasn't?) that is still very informative.

>> It's still not too old a news. Of course it is not freshly baked from the oven....

The newsletter is available on the website to anyone who wants to go there to read it, but I don't see why anyone other than members or former members would have access to it (knowledge that chess.ca exists) or be interested in finding it or searching through it. It would be a great idea to get it published somewhere else (except for the fact that the news is a bit old) if that is at all possible.

>> That is what I am trying to say. CFC ( as the highest authority in Canada Chess ) should take this initiative to spread to general public. How nice if I could read in the weekend news of Globe Mail.

There is no official title of super GM, but it is generally used to refer to players above 2700 to, as you have said, show there is a difference between GMs.
                  >> Again that's the point...Achieving GM status is something big...the highest title you can get playing chess recognized by the FIDE ( World organization ) Basically Razvan has achieved his dream of being a GM. Only difference between super GM and other GM is the elo points that they have.

Comment

CAN will have soon a new IM - Michael Kleinman got his norms, now only needs to boost his rating :)
                    http://chess-results.com/tnr284339.a...&wi=984&snr=85
                    (the site has several his games)

Found this picture in the tournament albums https://goo.gl/photos/4hZpejtn6G6xWycd7

Thnx to Mike Ivanov for pointing the fact.

--

As for News - a nice issue, just rename to History LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

Enjoy.
                      Just FYI, I have not received any email about this being available - of course, that is not a big deal since I read about it here.

Also, the newsletter archive (said to be here: http://chess.ca/cfc-newsletter-archive ) only goes to 2015 at the moment...
                      a friend of mine asked me last night about the newsletter and how to get it - I advised him to send the CFC office his email
                      (he said he gave his email address when he renewed his CFC membership severals months ago at the Hamilton Club)

I told him where the current issue is but I told him I had no idea how to get old issues...
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        Just FYI, I have not received any email about this being available - of course, that is not a big deal since I read about it here.

Also, the newsletter archive (said to be here: http://chess.ca/cfc-newsletter-archive ) only goes to 2015 at the moment...
                        a friend of mine asked me last night about the newsletter and how to get it - I advised him to send the CFC office his email
                        (he said he gave his email address when he renewed his CFC membership severals months ago at the Hamilton Club)

I told him where the current issue is but I told him I had no idea how to get old issues...
                        Bob will be updating the Archives page when he can squeeze in the time. Your friend can find a complete list of issues on the CFC Newsletter facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=0de6a870c2

Comment

A really excellent last issue John! Well done and congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                          X