Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kovaliov playng in the World's Cup in Giorgia

Zurab Azmaiparashvili’s Statement:
    "From 2012, when I became the Deputy Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs of Georgia, till nowadays, I have brought around 20 million USD for chess: We have organized top events like Grand Prix, Women Grand Prix (twice), Women and Individual European championships, European Youth and World Cadets Championship, FIDE World Cup and next year we are going to organize the Olympiad…
    When a country and private sponsors invest such a big amount in chess, it is expected that it will be respected from all chess community and especially from the professional chess players who are the beneficiaries of the prize fund. Especially at the FIDE World Cup, for which we did anything possible (even took the loan from the Bank) to secure the chess players’ prize fund 4 months in advance.
    When we are asking for sponsorship and big prize funds then the professional chess players and their unions should also bear the responsibility to protect these investments.
    It is not appropriate for a chess player to declare a day before that he intentionally came with only one shorts and that he is ready to leave, because he has other more important obligations. Indeed, he left the tournament as he stated that he wished to do so only one day before! (http://chess-news.ru/node/2368 1)
    This is a top level tournament with 1,6 million prize fund and it is part of the WC cycle.
    It is not a private or local tournament! It is not a youth event!
    Such attitude is harming the organization through media and is preventing any future sponsor to invest in chess. This is a big damage to chess and its funding.
    I have to dispel the confusion and say that nobody had told the player that he should be forfeited or that he could not play the game. Mr. Kovalyov was instructed by the Сhief Arbiter as well as by the organizers, that according to the regulations he should have been dressed appropriately. But he was being ignorant. If he had just simply asked for our help, we would have sent a car to bring him some more clothes at our expense or even drive Mr. Kovalyov after the game to choose it by himself. What would be the problem in showing some respect to the organizers?
    If I said some words, during a minute of an emotional conversation which followed, that insulted Mr. Kovalyov, I am ready to apologize and I would do it here as well as, in front of him if he were here in his position, playing his games, as he was supposed to do. I have always been ready in my life to correct any mistake and I have no problem to do it in this case as well.
    But the truth is that nobody told that he should be forfeited, nobody told him that he could not play and nobody told him to leave the tournament. This was only his intention which he revealed one day earlier.
    And so, he left an empty board, a chess player without an opponent, damaging again the FIDE World Cup and its sponsors.
    In social media, this fact has caused, in my opinion, incomprehensible reactions. Even a conspiracy theory was created – that all this was the reason Mr. Kovalyov left the tournament. It is absurd and even commenting on this subject is unnecessary. We respect each and every participant and naturally, we expect and demand from them the same respect and attitude towards the organizers and their colleagues. In spite of the fact, that Mr. Kovalyov’s attitude towards such a prestigious tournament was frivolous to begin with (changing the flight dates in a force majeure situation), nobody had even reprimanded him.
    I am waiting for Mr. Kovalyov to also apologize for this disrespect towards the organizers and towards his colleagues for withdrawing from the tournament and affecting its results.
    So, I want to ask any interested party, in your opinion is it worth for sponsors to put such amounts of money for prize funds, promoting their image, when chess players have such behaviors and attitude?
    And I also want to say that if Mr. Kovalyov denied receiving his share of the prize fund this makes no difference for us. We have already paid 1.776 million to FIDE and we need to present to our sponsors what is the service that they paid for.
    And finally, I would like to say – I’ll do my best to improve the image of our sport and the way chess top events look through mass media, including TV.
    If we wish the sponsors to fund our tournaments and the media to promote them, we are all responsible to have an appropriate dress code for at least the official Chess World Championship Cycle competitions."

Comment

Originally posted by Brent Golem View Post
      Fischer had a nickname as the Corduroy Killer, for his refusal to wear anything but corduroy pants and striped sport shirts. Fischer was known to dress atrociously until Benko convinced him otherwise.
      True, but that is not the whole story. It must be remembered that Fischer was raised by a single mother. He did not have much spare cash, and what he did have went on chess literature. But after getting an advance from Simon & Schuster for his first chess book, he was finally able to afford some decent clothes. Benko's role was connecting Fischer with a reliable tailor. The results may be seen on the cover of the February 1960 issue of Chess Review.

Comment

Anyone expecting a genuine apology from Zurab.... Again, the issue is Zurab's conduct in castigating, threatening and insulting one of the world's top players just minutes before his game.

Comment

This article is taken from Greg Shahade's blog:
          "Azmaiparashvili is a Cheating Scumbag.
          SEPTEMBER 9, 2017 / CURTAINS20
          I’m writing this blog out of rage for the injustice that was just suffered by Grandmaster Anton Kovalyov.
          Anton just forfeited from the FIDE World Cup after an incident involving his clothing choices, despite having worn the same clothing for the first two rounds without issue. Below is a brief snippet of his post game statement:
          “The issue were not the shorts but how I was treated. I came to the game and was approached by the arbiter asking me to change (first time). I told him that I don’t have pants with me, and then I noticed that I was playing black instead of white, which came as a surprise for me and asked him to check that. He and the other arbiters checked and confirmed to me that I’m playing with black, we talked a little and everything was fine. Then came Zurab, he was very agressive, yelling at me and using the racial slur “gypsy” to insult me, apart from mentioning several times that I will be punished by FIDE. I told him that I had asked before at the previous world cup if what I was wearing was OK and I was told by somebody from the organization that yes. Zurab, in a prepotent way, said he doesn’t care, he’s the organizer now. At this point I was really angry but tried not to do anything stupid, and asked him why he was so rude to me, and he said because I’m a gypsy.”
          This is what happens when you allow well known cheaters and unethical people to have such major involvement in your chess events. They end up using racial slurs to intimidate and harass the players.
          If you go to the following link, which is titled “cheating in chess”, you can read about how Azmaiparashvili created a tournament out of thin air in order to reach the chess elite. He gained 50 ELO points in a fabricated tournament with 3 other players. The tournament was a sextuple round robin, in which everyone faced everyone else 6 times. Azmaiparashvili finished with 16/18, and another player rated 2400, Rolando Kutirov, finished with 11.5/18, enough to get his GM title. Meanwhile the two 2500+ rated GM’s, Kurajica and Rashkovsky, finished with 4.5 and 4 points out of 18.
          Here’s a link to the crosstable and the fabricated games.
          Here is a quote from Veselin Topalov, for why he withdrew from the Grand Prix cycle in 2017.
          “The last degradation of the FIDE happened during the Opening Ceremony of the World Blitz and Rapid Championship 2017 in Qatar. The person appointed by FIDE to open the Championship was no other than Zurab Azmaiparashvili, ECU President with a large record of unethical and even criminal acts during his career. These unethical acts he committed both as a player and as a FIDE official include buying an entire tournament in Strumica 95, and the case of sexual harassment in Mexico in 2007.”
          So to sum it all up, we have a guy who is well known by everyone to be a massive cheater, was thrown out of a hotel in 2007 for sexual harassment, and has committed many other unethical acts during his career in chess, and yet somehow he is named as an official for the FIDE World Cup?
          There is nothing less surprising than hearing that he called Kovalyov a gypsy on multiple occasions, because this is how Azmaiparashvili behaves. He says and does whatever he wants without any repercussion. He made up a tournament to reach the world elite and later went on to become FIDE Vice President.
          What should happen now? This is a difficult question, but one in which I believe in my answer.
          The top players in the world should band together and refuse to play until Azmaiparashvili is removed from his role as organizer and is forced to leave the premises. I admit it’s very unlikely that this will occur, as the elite chess community has a rich history of turning a blind eye to the corruption and greed that is so evident at the top of the FIDE food chain. It’s understandable, they love chess and FIDE does provide them generous sums of money to play at the highest level. Is it really worth it to risk your reputation and career for something like this? While I think that the answer is yes, I’m not going to hold it against everyone for staying quiet and continuing to play chess under the auspices of known cheaters and bullies.
          I also hope that organizers around the world show Kovalyov some love and give him invites to a few major tournaments. When one of the top players in the world is treated in such an unfair manner by a top FIDE official, the chess community should band together to make sure that this player knows that we don’t think that what happened was okay. Good for Anton for not debasing himself and playing in a tournament where he was treated in such a manner. He could have won a lot of money, but his dignity was worth more to him.
          Meanwhile Azmaiparashvili should be asked to resign from any official role he has in the chess world. This guy has been a cheater for decades now, it’s getting boring already. Just go away and keep getting crushed by me online."

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
            If you want to be a pro, dress like a pro. Fischer understood that. Kasparov, too. Both are among the greatest GMs ever. And the FIDE didn't tell them how to dress.

1) Both Fischer and Kasparov had short hair.

2) Therefore all chess players should have short hair.

As a logical argument, it is less than compelling.

Comment

Having followed further, to be honest, I am starting to come around a bit to FIDE's side.

FIDE portion of the argument:
              1) Anton was not forfeited - he was asked to change, and when he said he was unable to, by all accounts (including both Anton's and the Chief Arbiters) there were no plans to forfeit or punish him in any way that day.
              2) However unclearly the wording is written, I don't think any reasonable person would consider his attire of the standard you'd want to see at this level; that he had worn it without admonishment previously makes his clothing choice understandable but still wrong.

Azmai portion:
              1) Azmaiparashvilli has ZERO reason to approach Kovalyov at this point; the issue has been discussed and resolved properly with the arbiter. There was no cause to escalate the problem, and nothing good was going to come of it.
              2) When Azmaiparashvili told him he should change, the proper response should be "Already discussed with Arbiter, not an issue for future rounds but no time right now". Anton does talk (properly) about the lack of respect Azmaiparashvili showed him, but I do think there is something of a case to ask Anton to show a modicum of respect to the organizer of the event and the event itself.

In the end, everyone comes off looking badly, other than the chief arbiter, who by all accounts seems to have handled the situation perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                1) Both Fischer and Kasparov had short hair.

2) Therefore all chess players should have short hair.

As a logical argument, it is less than compelling.
                I'm a bit surprised Roger, assuming you do not believe in the FIDE rule that players must have proper attire. With NN you were quick to point out it was his duty to know and follow the rules by stopping the clock to promote, but here you do not seem to agree with the rule on attire, so your argument of the player's duty to follow rules has changed? Or is it because this rule on proper attire doesn't really exist and its a FIDE on-the-fly rule?

Mavros

Comment

Originally posted by Mavros Whissell View Post
                  I'm a bit surprised Roger, assuming you do not believe in the FIDE rule that players must have proper attire. With NN you were quick to point out it was his duty to know and follow the rules by stopping the clock to promote, but here you do not seem to agree with the rule on attire, so your argument of the player's duty to follow rules has changed? Or is it because this rule on proper attire doesn't really exist and its a FIDE on-the-fly rule?

Mavros
                  I'm pointing out the logical fallacy involved in invoking Fischer into this conversation.

And has been pointed out previously, Bermuda shorts appear to be allowed attire.

Comment

the rule on attire
                    Please cite it.

Comment

The latest message from GM.Anton Kovalyov is as following:
                      Anton Kovalyov
                      5 mins ·
                      I am closing my facebook account. I don't want this to be more distracting than it should. Thank you all for the support.

Comment

Mavros
                        FIDE is a joke; the women had to wear the hijab at their event and I could clearly see one of the men in attendance ( probably an arbiter or FIDE official ) dressed fairly casually. Forcing the women to wear the hijab was a much more serious issue then whether men wear shorts or not. In any event, I think the sport of chess is in decline and any young person of talent should consider a better pursuit. The CFC isn't as bad at the moment but has had its moments in the past. It often seems like people scrapping over limited resources and gaming the system is inevitable, as is trying to win chess competitions away from the board ( e.g. questioning player skills and potential, gender politics, provincial rivalries ). The CFC needs to focus on making the sport enjoyable for those who choose to compete and support the young players who face numerous obstacles in Canada if they pursue high goals. I just don't know if the CFC/FIDE world is a good place to be these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                          I just don't know if the CFC/FIDE world is a good place to be these days.
                          An extremely rare instance of us being in agreement.

Comment

My question is whether the 'dress code' for the World Cup 2017 was ever specifically published in advance, and whether this had been agreed, among FIDE and the sponsors and hosts. If so, the players are responsible for knowing and following it. If not, then it seems reasonable to give players some benefit of the doubt, should questions arise. It was not as if GM Kovalyov turned up to play without a shirt! That would have been inappropriate. It is such a shame that this had to end the way it did; GM Kovalyov was playing fantastic chess in this event! He had defeated former World Champion GM Vishy Anand in the second match series!! :)

Other individual sports such as golf and tennis do have dress codes for competitions. For example, male professional golfers are NOT allowed to wear shorts in tournament rounds, except on the Australasian PGA Tour. Some events now allow them to wear shorts in practice rounds. Male amateurs CAN wear shorts with specified lengths in high-standard amateur events. At the Wimbledon tennis Grand Slam tournament, ALL players MUST wear white outfits. Women professional golfers can wear shorts and skirts in tournament play, but they do have some recently imposed regulations for dress, in the wake of Paige Spiranac (who is lights-out gorgeous) stretching the limits in that regard.

Comment

i invite all to read John Upper's entry on the CFC newsfeed.

http://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/1000

The Association of Chess Professionals (ACP) is circulating a letter of protest in support of Anton.
                              I just signed it, I encourage everyone to sign it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                                Please cite it.
                                Sorry Egidijus, I think I was trying to say they are making up the rules. There is no citation I know of. I just wanted to know what Roger was getting at, and he explained it.

Mavros

Comment

Working...
                                X