Kovaliov playng in the World's Cup in Giorgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kovaliov playng in the World's Cup in Giorgia

I'm going to have to partly side with Vlad on this one, although Bob's post was pretty mild. Persons in the employ of the CFC need to recognize that when they speak of matters like this, their words and actions reflect on the CFC itself. As such their posts need to show restraint and decorum.

Having said that, I would expect to see such behavior from the entire CFC Executive, and see it applied to non-FIDE related matters. Being the public face of any organization makes this necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
      I'm going to have to partly side with Vlad on this one, although Bob's post was pretty mild. Persons in the employ of the CFC need to recognize that when they speak of matters like this, their words and actions reflect on the CFC itself. As such their posts need to show restraint and decorum.

Having said that, I would expect to see such behavior from the entire CFC Executive, and see it applied to non-FIDE related matters. Being the public face of any organization makes this necessary.
      Yeah, unfortunately Bob is actually paid by the CFC so I guess he has to play by whatever rules they dream up from time to time... I can see Vlad's point about presenting a unified front but Bob's post was clearly as chess-player Bob NOT CFC E.D. Bob - but perhaps that should have been clearer or (as Vlad is suggesting) refrain from commenting when there is a conflict of interest.

I am not paid by the CFC and therefore I can post whatever I like - only Larry can censure posts on this board and he does so when it suits him (and I have no choice but to agree)
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Hartman View Post
        Dear Vlad, I respectfully disagree. Regardless of the past politics, which is now blood under the bridge, Anton was undermined by a person i witnessed in 2004 as unsavory. It reminds me somewhat of one of the times during the 2004 Olympiad during one of the times our team was on the stage, playing against a particular team, when their captain and "assistants" were standing behind our players and clearly deliberately attempting to interfere. I complained to the arbiters, and, luckily I found one who wasn't corruptible, who joined me in physically blocking these instigators. I so wish i was at the World Cup as an "assistant" to stand in between once more.

I applaud any public or private outrage over this. Unfortunately, given the state of FIDE corruption, there is no chance of recourse and certainly no remedy for Anton. Since we live in a free state, the least, and perhaps the most we can do, is to exercise our right to free speech and condemn the instigators. Perhaps one day with sufficient public outcry such nonsense and its instigators will be thrown out, with the full historical context they deserve.

Brian
        Hi Brian,
        Good to hear from you. The reality is that Anton was assured by Zurab that he would be "punished by FIDE" for breaking a regulation that does not exist and moreover was routinely broken by other players in the World Cup if it did exist. Anton had no idea what the "punishment" was and given that he did not want unlimited liability he had no choice but to leave. As far as Anton was concerned the "punishment" could have been 25K a day, he really had no idea.
        So effectively FIDE forced him out of the tournament with no justification whatsoever. The remedy should be that he gets an automatic participation in the candidates given that he was deprived of competing for his place in the candidates with the other players. So yes, there is a remedy and if it is not adhered to Federations around the world should consider withdrawing from FIDE and together with ACP form a new sporting organization for chess.
        Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Friday, 15th September, 2017, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
          GM.Zurab Azmaiparashvili's latest statement in the press (Chess Daily News):

https://chessdailynews.com/world-cup...lso-apologize/
          Seems this one was completely ignored by everyone. And even if I don't like the guy at all, it's interesting to hear his side of story. Or at least what he pretends is his side of the story.

Azmaiparashvili says Anton was warned in round 2 to show up with pants for round 3. Anton told him the shorts was the only thing he brought [side note: Anton didn't deny that in his own response]. Apparently, when Zurab insisted, Anton told him he was expecting to leave after round 2 anyways, because he had more important business to attend to. Zurab told him he wouldn't get his prize money if he left the tournament (common practice). So Anton shows up for round 3, with his shorts and then the proverbial shit hit the fan (we know that part of the story).

Now, let's all keep in mind it's only Zurab's side of the story. He might be lying, for all we know. But...

1-Anton went to the World Cup with only one pair of shorts, really? For an event that might last almost a month? And Anton didn't deny that part in his statement, by the way.
          2-Anton knew he played Anand in round 2.

Now, keeping in mind only the two points above, which are simply factual (#2) or confirmed by both sides (#1)... is it possible that Anton simply decided to 'travel light' because he was expecting to be out in round 2? Which lead to the warning (as per Zurab) and the eventual confrontation and threats.

I'm certainly not trying to support Zurab's reprehensible behaviour there. I'm just honestly interested in gathering all the information before forming an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
            Azmaiparashvili says Anton was warned in round 2 to show up with pants for round 3.
            I don't see that in the statement.

imho, Azma got mad after seeing the Anton's interview after he beat Anand in the match -- in shorts, saying that he came for a short time just with shorts, not much preparation, eager to go home. However, he told at the end - he will stay as long as he can (by beating others). Then the evil plan came to Azma's mind and history was made.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              I don't see that in the statement.
              Here is the quote from Zurab:
              It is not appropriate for a chess player to declare a day before that he intentionally came with only one shorts and that he is ready to leave, because he has other more important obligations.
              That conversation happened before the well known events. When exactly? I don't know. But it seems Anton's shorts were a subject of discussion at least a day before round 3. According to Zurab, of course.

And, seriously, I have a hard time believing that a GM can show up with only ONE pair of shorts at the biggest tournament of his chess year, a month long event with a 1.6M prize fund. But maybe it's just me. I mean, he's gonna have to go to the laundr-o-mat at some point, right? What's he gonna wear while his shorts are being washed?
              Last edited by Mathieu Cloutier; Friday, 15th September, 2017, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
                Here is the quote from Zurab:

That conversation happened before the well known events. When exactly? I don't know. But it seems Anton's shorts were a subject of discussion at least a day before round 3. According to Zurab, of course.

And, seriously, I have a hard time believing that a GM can show up with only ONE pair of shorts at the biggest tournament of his chess year, a month long event with a 1.6M prize fund. But maybe it's just me. I mean, he's gonna have to go to the laundr-o-mat at some point, right? What's he gonna wear while his shorts are being washed?
                That text was in the interview and not a talk between Zurab and Anton.
                Anton explained that his pants did not fit him anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                  Bob, this will not help our case. Please refrain from such comments. I, Hal and the members of the Directors get to make the incendiary comments.
                  Saying someone doesn't acknowledge bad behavior is hardly incendiary.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    That text was in the interview and not a talk between Zurab and Anton.
                    Anton explained that his pants did not fit him anymore...
                    First, as I said, the round 2 conversation is all according to Zurab. Anton didn't mention it in his statement.

But the pants that don't fit anymore... It's on Anton. So he's showing up for the most important tournament of the year, a month long event with a prize fund of 1.6M... and all he's gonna bring is... one pair of shorts?

I can't believe so many people are defending this. Forget about Zurab, forget about the whole controversy. Anton showed up at the World Cup and all he brought was one single pair of shorts. I can't even believe that. I would actually be glad to hear a statement from Anton saying he had, like, 3 pairs of shorts in his luggage.
                    Last edited by Mathieu Cloutier; Friday, 15th September, 2017, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• Re: Kovaliov playng in the World's Cup in Giorgia

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post

Yeah? Where were you when Vlad Drkulec, President of the CFC, publicly posted here on ChessTalk in violation of Canadian hate laws? You know damn well what I'm talking about, you sanctimonious phony. You and all other voting members did NOTHING! Restraint and decorum.... shove it where the sun don't shine!

You want to get my respect back, you do something about Drkulec immediately. This Kovalyev incident, despite unfortunately harming an innocent and very respectable young Canadian chess player, is nevertheless KARMA for Canadian chess for allowing such a person as Drkulec as President!!!

I only hope Bob Gillanders now sees the error of his ways, working for Drkulec, the very antithesis of everything Bob stands for.* It's KARMA, Bob! Get used to it.
                      Last edited by Paul Bonham; Saturday, 16th September, 2017, 01:28 AM.
                      Only the rushing is heard...
                      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
                        Thank you Garvin. I did consider my post quite restrained especially by Chesstalk standards.
                        Just adding my voice to the protest. Is not a protest movement only strengthened by many voices?
                        Oh well, I guess they don't need my help.
                        Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Saturday, 16th September, 2017, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Dear Paul,

If you care to research this site you will find many times where i have posted my concerns directly to the CFC President, how as the face of the CFC many of his posts in my opinion harm the image of the CFC. My previous post was a reflection of this, especially the last sentence. Perhaps you missed its intent. In terms of "doing something about Drkulec", perhaps you can educate me on what I can do. I certainly have no intention of running for the CFC Presidency, at least not for another 10 years, and for the past 2 years no one else has run for office. Resigning from voting member status would not help either.

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
                            Saying we should ban Kirsan and Makro is somewhat incendiary particularly when what Kirsan said was somewhat encouraging. I have a response written with some help and tweaking from the executive, John Upper and Vadim Tsypin. It should be ready later today. A few more tweaks are necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                              Thank you Garvin. I did consider my post quite restrained especially by Chesstalk standards.
                              Just adding my voice to the protest. Is not a protest movement only strengthened by many voices?
                              Oh well, I guess they don't need my help.
                              If you had limited your sanction list to ZA, I probably wouldn't have complained but we will need those other two individuals if we are going to be able to resolve this situation. Perhaps Brian Hartman and others are right and our quest for justice is an "Impossible Dream" but we do have to try. They are already trying the "hey look over there" strategy lets not give them any more over there's to distract us.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                                Saying we should ban Kirsan and Makro is somewhat incendiary particularly when what Kirsan said was somewhat encouraging. I have a response written with some help and tweaking from the executive, John Upper and Vadim Tsypin. It should be ready later today. A few more tweaks are necessary.
                                Kirsan Ilyumzhinov owes the Chess Federation of Canada $60,000.00 ... how encouraging is that???

Comment

Working...
                                X