Ilyumzhinov: "It's frustrating that Azmaiparashvili lost his temper"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ilyumzhinov: "It's frustrating that Azmaiparashvili lost his temper"

FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov expressed dissatisfaction with actions of Chairman of the organizing committee of the World Cup in Tbilisi and expressed his regret that such unpleasant situation has occurred.

Recall that Canadian chess player Anton Kovalev left the World Cup without playing in the third round match. The reason for the demarche was the aggressive actions of the head of the organizing committee Zurab Azmaiparashvili, who insulted Kovalev.

- Kirsan Nikolayevich, Kovalev played in shorts in the first two rounds. Was it possible that arbiters could not notice this during the game?
    The organizers had to decide on the spot. I do not interfere in this matter. President of FIFA does not interfere in the work of arbiters during the game.

- Do rules of FIDE stipulate how to dress?
    Under the dress code, player should wear a suit. It is like an official event. It is recommended to play in suit or else they may come in underwear (laughs). This is usually stipulated in the contracts of chess players.

- Did Kovalev violate the rules of FIDE?
    The situation is extremely unpleasant. Organizers should have told him about the way he was dressed before.

- According to Kovalev, Azmaiparashvili nearly attacked him...
    It was ugly on the part of Zurab. Kovalev was offended at the way he was talked to. Sometimes words may hurt a lot. If I do not confuse anything, he has not received a fee for participating and winning the competition. He would have received a certain amount for two rounds. Zurab should not behave this way.

- Will FIDE initiate proceedings on this issue?
    Kovalev should write to the commission on ethics about this. Even football judges can be penalized for swearing. There were witnesses. The disciplinary body of our organization will consider this situation.

- Was there something like this in the history of chess?
    There were no such incidents, but there were times when chess players did not shake hands before the game. Later, it was decided that player must be considered as defeated for showing disrespect to his opponent.

- What is your attitude to what happened?
    - I am upset that Zurab Azmaiparashvili lost his temper.

Re: Ilyumzhinov: "It's frustrating that Azmaiparashvili lost his temper"

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    There were no such incidents, but there were times when chess players did not shake hands before the game. Later, it was decided that player must be considered as defeated for showing disrespect to his opponent.
    He erased Elista'06 from his memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      He erased Elista'06 from his memory.
      It seems those memories have been flushed away.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
        It seems those memories have been flushed away.
        Just like Chess Federation of Canada's $60,000.00 from Kirsan Ilyumzhinov!!!

Comment

I know I am going to be taken to task on this board for saying this, but Kirsan's response actually looks to be balanced. Anton should have dressed better, but Zurab should not have done what he did, Zurab should be disciplined, Anton should receive his money for winning the 2 rounds, and Anton should write to the FIDE ethics committee. As i believe Hal is already doing this on Anton's behalf, I am hopeful that there will be some positive outcome, namely awarding of Anton the full money he would normally get for winning the first two rounds as well as disiplinary actions against Zurab.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
            I know I am going to be taken to task on this board for saying this, but Kirsan's response actually looks to be balanced. Anton should have dressed better, but Zurab should not have done what he did, Zurab should be disciplined, Anton should receive his money for winning the 2 rounds, and Anton should write to the FIDE ethics committee. As i believe Hal is already doing this on Anton's behalf, I am hopeful that there will be some positive outcome, namely awarding of Anton the full money he would normally get for winning the first two rounds as well as disiplinary actions against Zurab.
            There's absolutely no question that Anton should be paid for winning two rounds. He showed up, he played some great chess: pay that man his money.

I believe this will amount to 16k minus 20% for tax purposes. Remove the travel and accomodation and he should get around 10k. Then, maybe he'll be able to afford a 100$ pair of pants for the next World Cup.

Comment

Kovalev ??

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
              FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov expressed dissatisfaction with actions of Chairman of the organizing committee of the World Cup in Tbilisi and expressed his regret that such unpleasant situation has occurred.

Recall that Canadian chess player Anton Kovalev left the World Cup without playing in the third round match. The reason for the demarche was the aggressive actions of the head of the organizing committee Zurab Azmaiparashvili, who insulted Kovalev.

- Kirsan Nikolayevich, Kovalev played in shorts in the first two rounds. Was it possible that arbiters could not notice this during the game?
              The organizers had to decide on the spot. I do not interfere in this matter. President of FIFA does not interfere in the work of arbiters during the game.

- Do rules of FIDE stipulate how to dress?
              Under the dress code, player should wear a suit. It is like an official event. It is recommended to play in suit or else they may come in underwear (laughs). This is usually stipulated in the contracts of chess players.

- Did Kovalev violate the rules of FIDE?
              The situation is extremely unpleasant. Organizers should have told him about the way he was dressed before.

- According to Kovalev, Azmaiparashvili nearly attacked him...
              It was ugly on the part of Zurab. Kovalev was offended at the way he was talked to. Sometimes words may hurt a lot. If I do not confuse anything, he has not received a fee for participating and winning the competition. He would have received a certain amount for two rounds. Zurab should not behave this way.

- Will FIDE initiate proceedings on this issue?
              Kovalev should write to the commission on ethics about this. Even football judges can be penalized for swearing. There were witnesses. The disciplinary body of our organization will consider this situation.

- What is your attitude to what happened?
              - I am upset that Zurab Azmaiparashvili lost his temper.

Where was this quoted from, Larry? The author can't even get the guy's name right... talk about adding insult to injury. It's K-O-V-A-L-Y-O-V!

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                First off Kirsan said that under the dress code players should wear a suit although the dress code calls for no such thing. In fact the dress code specifically cites Bermuda shorts as acceptable attire. No doubt Kiran wishes that wearing a suit was in the dress code but it is not. Surely you don't believe bold faced lies are consistent with a "balanced response". Of course why expect truth from a man who is a former dictator where journalists were murdered by his former aides. A man who claims he was abducted by aliens.
                Why should FIDE have to wait for a complaint to fire someone? That is about the only form of "discipline" that would satisfy the Association of Chess Professionals . As for Anton getting paid for the first two rounds that is way too little, too late. I doubt if he will ever play another game of chess in his life. I don't blame him. "Balanced response"....not! As long as FIDE is under the control of thugs Anton will serve as a warning to young people not to pursue chess at a professional level. Anton did not work all his life at chess for a lousy few thousand dollars in prize money for rounds 1 and 2. He had a dream to be the world's best and while on the cusp of realizing that dream he was robbed! To some it may seem like Anton was deprived of a bit of prize money but to Anton it was countless hours of effort destroyed.
                Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Wednesday, 13th September, 2017, 12:02 AM.

Comment

I was under the impression that that dress code document was already adopted but apparently it is just a proposed dress code. Still even if Anton was unknowingly violating the unspecified dress code there is no excuse for what happened at the beginning of round 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                    I was under the impression that that dress code document was already adopted but apparently it is just a proposed dress code. Still even if Anton was unknowingly violating the unspecified dress code there is no excuse for what happened at the beginning of round 3.
                    Agreed! Do you know of any player contract that Anton would have signed? I have seen Kirsan mention it and also Joel Benjamin mentions it on his ICC weekly recap where he gives his opinion on 'Pantsgate'.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                      I doubt if he will ever play another game of chess in his life. I don't blame him.
                      Good lard. What an overreaction. Is that just your speculation? Because if Anton leaves chess over such a trivial issue...

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
                        Agreed! Do you know of any player contract that Anton would have signed? I have seen Kirsan mention it and also Joel Benjamin mentions it on his ICC weekly recap where he gives his opinion on 'Pantsgate'.
                        Here is a link to the player's contract (at least the copy on FIDE website) - I found this following a link at the start of Wayne's thread about the World Cup

http://www.fide.com/images/stories/N..._World_Cup.pdf
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
                          Good lard. What an overreaction. Is that just your speculation? Because if Anton leaves chess over such a trivial issue...
                          As far as I know, Anton has a chess scholarship to the University of Texas at Dallas, and he was wearing their chess team sweater to the World Cup. So I don't think he will retire yet.

Comment

Re: Kovalev ??

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
                            Where was this quoted from, Larry? The author can't even get the guy's name right... talk about adding insult to injury. It's K-O-V-A-L-Y-O-V!
                            Kovalev and Kovalyov are two different and equally valid ways of transliterating his name from Russian. This is hardly a big issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
                              It is not a trivial issue. That said I hope Anton does not stop playing over this.

Comment

Working...
                              X