Team Canada at the 2017 WYCC in Uruguay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Team Canada at the 2017 WYCC in Uruguay

Tuesday, September 26, the last round. In Rd 11 Team Canada achieved 9/16. Svitlana Demchenko and Richard Chen showed amazing tenacity and finished as the highest-ranking Canadians in this WYCC.
    • In U-14 Girls, WFM Svitlana Demchenko wins on Board 3 against a Bulgarian FM rated 344 points higher, which allows her to finish tied for the 5th-8th places and to become the 6th on tiebreak.
    • In U-16 Open, CM Richard Chen overcomes a 126-point rating handicap and beats an Argentinian FM, which allows him to finish tied for the 6th-8th places and to become the 7th on tiebreak.

I will post a detailed wrap-up later today. For now - thank you Team Canada! All of us at home are proud of you. Enjoy the closing ceremony and have a safe trip home! Hope to see many of you doing post-WYCC chess talks and simuls in your communities.

Comment

Unofficial results by winner federation:
      Code:
      Category	Gold	  Silver	Bronze
      U-14 Girls	India	  Russia	Russia
      U-14 Open	Mongolia  India		Poland	
      U-16 Girls	USA	  Russia	Russia
      U-16 Open	Russia	  China		Poland
      U-18 Girls	Slovenia  India		Puerto Rico
      U-18 Open	Peru	  Russia	Ecuador
      Champions come from six different countries.

Comment

Let's play "I Spy" with this news report by a Uruguayan TV channel. :) I was able to see at least two Canadian players (Emma He and David Macarczyk), a Canadian flag, a Canadian souvenir pen, and a Canadian player's card.

Comment

The road to Montevideo started in Sault Ste. Marie. Thank you again Roman, Andrew, Hal, Aris for an excellent CYCC that saw great participation and allowed best Canadian juniors to become official players for the WYCC.

Then, thorough planning and substantial financial help by the CFC, wonderful team spirit, camaraderie among players, exemplary leadership by the HOD, tireless work of dedicated coaches, support by parents on site and at home - all of it enabled the Canadian players to have the most successful WYCC in the last three years.

Everyone demonstrated solid play and didn't flinch in the face of supposedly more skilled opponents. Everyone surprised their adversaries with at least one memorable upset - and was extremely humble about it, in a typical Canadian fashion. Everyone experienced setbacks along the road but was able to bounce back. Bravo!

By placing 6th, WFM Svitlana Demchenko repeated the achievement of now-GM Razvan Preotu at the 2015 Porto Carras WYCC, which remained the best Canadian finish ever since. CM Richard Chen came seventh and posted a FIDE rating gain of 122.80 points. Thus, we had two Canadians finishing in Top-10, which never happened even in our glory years of Harmony's and Qiyu's wins. To find a previous double Top-10 finish, we'd need to go all the way back to Maribor 2012 (Richard Wang and Harmony Zhu), but it was well before the split into "cadets" and "juniors". A remarkable achievement by a small 2017 team.

Nine Canadian players are at 50% or better but 14 out of 16 have double-digit rating gains, with Jiaying Wang not far behind Richard, at +96.80 points.

Enjoy the photos from the awards ceremony (courtesy Christina Tao and Bo Peng), look at the happy faces of our players. Everyone punched well above their weight. Go to the aptly named "Victory Day for Team Canada".
          Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; Tuesday, 26th September, 2017, 09:15 PM. Reason: Discussed history.

Comment

I used to be a collector as a child. I inherited my great grandfather's collection. Lots of depression era stamps, including a 100,000,000 Mark stamp from Germany.

Comment

How much of a success was there (for the various federations, not just ours) in terms of norm or title hunts? Congratulations to those who were in running, by either hiking their rating a bit or by placing well in the final standings, as I'm guessing there were probably a couple who had a couple of norms (perhaps http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=150277 of Russia or WCM Ehsani - not sure if she's high enough in R[perf] for any WIM norm or if the WCM or WFM titles use norms to count toward a "master" status), but not yet their 3rd to catch any title upgrade before the start of it.

Well done to Richard Chen, Svitlana Demchenko, Rohan Talukdur and all the others I may have missed a mention of. As well, thanks to Hal bond, the country federation and our coaches visiting for another great event. Did they play a "coaches' tournament" (like a while back in Durban)?

-----

Also, please don't trust my "math" on these, either:

Noboa: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=158455 (because he got bronze in U-18 - http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...9&view=article )

Zapata: http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=141607 (IM norm?! http://chess-results.com/tnr297054.a...flag=30&wi=821 if I did my handbook calculation correctly R[perf]= 2456>2450; avg opposition>2230; score 7.5/11 against 6 FM (but Martinez Alcantara would be IM elect for 3 total IMs/GMs, because of his tournament win?!), 1 IM, 1 GM - Article 1.4)

-----

Originally posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
              The World Youth Chess Championship (WYCC) takes place in Montevideo, Uruguay, on September 16-25, 2017. Here is the organizer's site.

The Head of Delegation for Team Canada is the inimitable Christina Tao. We have 16 players in all six categories.
              Code:
              U14 Open
              CM  Talukdar Rohan	2132
                  Noritsyn Sergey	2038
                  Gaisinsky Adam      1965
                  Feng Richard        1648
                  Makarczyk David     1385

U14 Girls
              WFM Demchenko Svitlana  1985	
                  He Emma             1664

U16 Open
              CM  Chen Richard        2189	
                  Liang Hairan        2131 
                  Liu Zhanhe          1912 
                  Li Eric M           1844

U16 Girls
                  Tao Ellen           1561	

U18 Open
                  Zhu Brandon	        2015	
                  Li James            2013
                  Zhong Joey          1984

U18 Girls
                  Wang Jiaying        1822
              The Chief Arbiter is Canada's very own IA/IO Hal Bond.

You can have a bird's eye view of the results for the whole Canadian delegation by constructing a link such as this.

All the best to players, coaches and officials! Good luck to all parents!
              Last edited by Kai G. Gauer; Wednesday, 27th September, 2017, 03:38 PM. Reason: Grammar, added a link or 2

Comment

Originally posted by Kai G. Gauer View Post
                How much of a success was there (for the various federations, not just ours) in terms of norm or title hunts? Congratulations to those who were in running, by either hiking their rating a bit or by placing well in the final standings, as I'm guess there probably a couple who had a couple of norms, but not yet their 3rd to catch any title upgrade before the start of it.
                This is a great question, thanks Kai.

As you pointed out, in theory, in a tournament such as the WYCC there would be three ways to earn a title or a norm:
                • Direct titles/norms awarded to Top-3 finishers, depending on the category. Since July 01, 2017, FIDE rules have been modified and such awards are now condiitonal on rating, though still 200 points lower than in "regular" circumstances (see Article 0.62).
                • CM/WCM/FM/WFM title earned by achieving a minimum rating required at any time during the event, which is 2200/2000/2300/2100.
                • IM/WIM/GM/WIM norm performances.

To be continued...
                Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; Wednesday, 27th September, 2017, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                  I used to be a collector as a child. I inherited my great grandfather's collection. Lots of depression era stamps, including a 100,000,000 Mark stamp from Germany.
                  Wow, a keepsake of the Weimar Republic hyperinflation! That surely is special. What was depicted on Canadian stamps during the 1920-s and 1930-s, just the King and the royals, or they have already become more varied?

Garland, last spring a well-respected chess teacher in Montreal was considering a sale of his entire collection of chess-themed stamps. Supposedly three big albums. I don't know whether it's still available but if you are interested, I can e-mail you so that the two of you get in touch.

Comment

According to _unofficial_ rating calculations by Swiss Manager, the Canadian laureate Richard Chen has fulfilled the conditions required to obtain the title of FIDE Master (FM):
                    Code:
                    SNo		Name		RtgI	FED	K	rtg+/-	Group
                    30	CM	Chen Richard	2189	CAN	40	122.80	U16_Open
                    2189 + 122.80 = 2311.80 ≥2300 (Article 1.31).

Hope everything checks out and Canada gets a new titled player when the October FRL is published. Congratulations!
                    Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; Wednesday, 27th September, 2017, 11:27 AM.

Comment

A good report by John Upper on the event from the Canadian perspective appears on the CFC website at: http://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/1004

Comment

Originally posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
                        According to _unofficial_ rating calculations by Swiss Manager, the Canadian laureate Richard Chen has fulfilled the conditions required to obtain the title of FIDE Master (FM):
                        Code:
                        SNo		Name		RtgI	FED	K	rtg+/-	Group
                        30	CM	Chen Richard	2189	CAN	40	122.80	U16_Open
                        2189 + 122.80 = 2311.80 ≥2300 (Article 1.31).

Hope everything checks out and Canada gets a new titled player when the October FRL is published. Congratulations!
                        The October FRL was published and even with a loss of 3.20 points in the Toronto Open, Richard's FIDE rating went up all the way to 2309, giving him the FM title.

Thanks to the usual excellent work of Canada's FIDE delegate, Richard's FIDE Master title has already been paid for, approved and posted.

Congratulations to Richard Chen, the 2017 Canadian Junior Champion, and his parents!

Comment

Working...
                        X