Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An Open Letter to FIDE from the CFC

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    I share the outrage, but threatening something that is not going to happen is Trumpian.
    I do not think anyone at FIDE would read anything past such a statement.
    Other than the CFC chickening out, why could it not pull out of FIDE? I personally have little use for FIDE as an average player. Elite Canadian players who still wish to possibly be abused in the world championship cycle like Anton was (if FIDE does nothing about it) could play for the spots in whatever new zone FIDE might create by merging Canada's old zone with the US or Americas. Other than that, the CFC would no longer get monetary 'gifts' from FIDE, but after all, where is the outstanding promised $60,000 cash that we seem to be rightly owed that Neil keeps nagging the CFC Executive about? Let's face it, FIDE right now is crooked and incompetently run, too, like the UN; it only seems to reason in 'morality' by dollar terms. Perhaps the best reason for the CFC never pulling out of FIDE would be that the CMA might be given the rights to our current zone by FIDE, and then the 'best' reason for CFC's existence (instead of the CMA eventually replacing it) disappears.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
      Other than the CFC chickening out, why could it not pull out of FIDE? I personally have little use for FIDE as an average player. Elite Canadian players who still wish to possibly be abused in the world championship cycle like Anton was (if FIDE does nothing about it) could play for the spots in whatever new zone FIDE might create by merging Canada's old zone with the US or Americas. Other than that, the CFC would no longer get monetary 'gifts' from FIDE, but after all, where is the outstanding promised $60,000 cash that we seem to be rightly owed that Neil keeps nagging the CFC Executive about? Let's face it, FIDE right now is crooked and incompetently run, too, like the UN; it only seems to reason in 'morality' by dollar terms. Perhaps the best reason for the CFC never pulling out of FIDE would be that the CMA might be given the rights to our current zone by FIDE, and then the 'best' reason for CFC's existence (instead of the CMA eventually replacing it) disappears.
      I agree Kevin: FIDE is useless and corrupt. I too have no use for FIDE anything but I was simply commenting on the likelihood of the CFC withdrawing from FIDE. I cannot see that happening unless there is a complete new slate of people running the CFC. Even the ACP (association for Chess Professionals) was not able to exert any real influence against FIDE - the top players in the world will simply stay with the status quo because that is the only place they get butter for their bread. (I don't see any alternative top level chess events ever available outside FIDE).

I *wish* FIDE would suddenly transform into a proper international body without IllusionOf and his cronies but I don't see that happening.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

PS: the $60,000 was simply IllusionOf bullshit money. It never existed and the CFC took the bait.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Other than the CFC chickening out, why could it not pull out of FIDE?

Our players would no longer get to play in FIDE tournaments like World Cup, Olympiad, U16 Olympiad, WYCC/WCCC, or any tournament for that matter where the organizers pay for food and accommodation. Our top players love to play chess and the only place where they can play on the international stage is FIDE.

The titled and stronger players do not want us to severe our ties with FIDE. Our top players would change federations and it would be very difficult to put things back together again.

Why would CMA want to take over the FIDE relationship? It is a pretty expensive thing to maintain. They might like the youth side where we have been pretty successful but I don't get the sense that they would be interested in the adult side of things.

Unfortunately we all have to live in the real world and not the make believe world of the Frarey's and Bonhams who I don't normally read unless they are quoted by someone who I do read.
          Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 20th September, 2017, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            Our players would no longer get to play in FIDE tournaments like World Cup, Olympiad, U16 Olympiad, WYCC/WCCC, or any tournament for that matter where the organizers pay for food and accommodation. Our top players love to play chess and the only place where they can play on the international stage is FIDE.

The titled and stronger players do not want us to severe our ties with FIDE. Our top players would change federations and it would be very difficult to put things back together again.
            Exactly right, and there are no international/global monopoly laws that prevent what FIDE has over chess. That's why overly forcible language would really get us nowhere in a hurry. We can yell and kick and scream in a letter, and they might crumple it up and laugh. They hold most of the cards here, especially outside of legal action. Threatening to leave FIDE is just bogus because we end up harming our own top players irreversibly if we do. They will all migrate to FIDE accepting countries anyway, as they need to play. Canada would lose the top players it has, and also the draw for any future top players.

So we are stuck with the very difficult task of trying to get FIDE to examine itself. The best you can hope for is internal politics where one FIDE official does not like another, and therefore that official jumps on board with Canada and the ACP. Failing that, I really do not see any change coming.

Comment

If the CFC ever pulled out of FIDE, and some/many top Canadian players switched federations so as to play in FIDE events, there's no reason why those players wouldn't be welcome to continue playing in purely Canadian events, as rated by the CFC, too. Also remember that elite players are only a very small percentage of the CFC membership, and their drawing power for getting weaker players to come to local Canadian events is likely overrated. Some of our elite players already play only outside of Canada, if at all, too.

The CFC's mandate would become to promote chess within Canada, at least until such time as FIDE gets its act together. On the plus side, a silver lining is that this would conserve a lot of CFC resources. Also, I'm not sure that a significant portion of elite Canadian players don't feel that something very strong should be done to prevent the possibility of continued intermittent bullying of Canadian representatives in important events abroad, that is with FIDE doing little to nothing about it every time. If FIDE won't act, why not pick up our marbles and go home? We just had one of our best players quit because of this! In any case, right now FIDE sucks for more than one reason, as I alluded to earlier.
              Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 20th September, 2017, 04:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
              Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
              Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

If the CFC ever pulled out of FIDE, and some/many top Canadian players switched federations so as to play in FIDE events, there's no reason why those players wouldn't be welcome to continue playing in purely Canadian events, as rated by the CFC, too. .....

Unless FIDE decided to declare such players suspended from FIDE. There is nothing to stop them from doing that.

This all serves as a good argument for young players to just stop being serious about chess. Follow Anton's example. There are far more interesting and rewarding things to use your brains for. And let's be real, it isn't just FIDE that is corrupt, your own CFC is in the same boat as the Noritsyn episode showed us ("no appeal because we would burn capital with FIDE").
                Only the rushing is heard...
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Realistically speaking the best outcome we can have any hope for here is probably a) He gets his money and b) he gets a spot in the next World Cup. Even that probably won't happen but I doubt there's any chance at all of getting more.
                  Christopher Mallon
                  FIDE Arbiter

Comment

At the very least the CFC should closely align itself with the US Chess Federation, especially in all things concerning FIDE. Including the IMMEDIATE unplugging from FIDE's chess server and instead use chess dot com or ICC as does the US Chess Federation. In the long run build our own chess server so that we will be able to harvest all that critical personal player data for our own gains. Just imagine the membership offerings we could promote if only we had our own chess server.

I think Drkulec is an elitist, and as such will always lust after FIDE.

As for the outstanding 60k ...it seems other chess feds were paid in full according to Silvio Danailov, President of the Bulgarian Chess Federation. So, from Drkulec not even a disgruntled whimper back at his FIDE love for the (still) outstanding $60,000.00!

If it were me, I would go public on the CFC facebook, create a YT vid, post on most every relevant chess forum! Instead, what do we get from Drkulec ...perhaps another excuse?

The heart and soul ...the raw passion... left the Chess Federation of Canada a long time ago.
                    Last edited by Neil Frarey; Thursday, 21st September, 2017, 12:13 AM.

Comment

FWIW, My understanding was once a year Canada would create a tournament strong enough to generate GM or IM norms. These tournaments would be in addition to the Canadian Open and Closed. In return we would get $20,000 to support each tournament. The CFC managed to get the first tournament off the ground, but has not organized a similar tournament since. No tournament = no money. If my understanding is incorrect, I would appreciate being corrected.

So, instead of asking why FIDE has not sent us $60,000, ask why these tournaments have not been organized.

Comment

IMO the letter focuses way too much on the dress code. The arbiter advised Anton that the clothes he was wearing were too informal, but that there was no intention to stop him from playing or censure him in any way, which seems to be a perfectly reasonable way for the arbiter to handle. There's no indication that I've seen that indicates Anton was planning to leave before ZA interfered.

The entire focus of the letter should have been on two things:

ZA inappropriately inserting himself into the discussion, when he had no place to do so. The arbiter had already resolved the situation.

ZA's actions after doing so. They were offensive and intolerable.

Requested resolution:

1) Anton be paid his rightful prize winnings, plus reimbursed the cost of his travel, and seeded directly to whenever the next FIDE world cup is
                        2) ZA banned for some time period (let's say 2 years) from serving as arbiter or chief organizer of any FIDE event
                        3) Neil Frarey issued $60,000 cheque directly from Kirsan's personal bank account (just kidding)
                        Last edited by David Ottosen; Thursday, 21st September, 2017, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                          IMO the letter focuses way too much on the dress code. The arbiter advised Anton that the clothes he was wearing were too informal, but that there was no intention to stop him from playing or censure him in any way, which seems to be a perfectly reasonable way for the arbiter to handle. There's no indication that I've seen that indicates Anton was planning to leave before ZA interfered.

The entire focus of the letter should have been on two things:

ZA inappropriately inserting himself into the discussion, when he had no place to do so. The arbiter had already resolved the situation.

ZA's actions after doing so. They were offensive and intolerable.

Requested resolution:

1) Anton be paid his rightful prize winnings, plus reimbursed the cost of his travel, and seeded directly to whenever the next FIDE world cup is
                          2) ZA banned for some time period (let's say 2 years) from serving as arbiter or chief organizer of any FIDE event
                          3) Neil Frarey issued $60,000 cheque directly from Kirsan's personal bank account (just kidding)
                          Resolution #3 ...doable for me!

Comment

Working...
                          X