2 IM'S Confirmed for 2017 Banff Open - breaking news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 IM'S Confirmed for 2017 Banff Open - breaking news

I am pleased to announce International Master Brian Hartman from Sequin On and International Master Mark Ginsburg from Las Vegas NV will be attending the 2017 Banff Open.

Brian has represented Canada at the Olympics and won the Canadian Open. He obtained his IM title in 1992.

Dr. Mark Ginsburg has his PHD in Information Systems. He obtained his IM title in 1982. He won the Manhattan Chess Club Championship twice and has many outstanding videos on chess.com.

This year promises to be bigger and better than any previous year! I encourage you to register on our website http://www.albertachess.org/2017BO.php

Re: 2 IM'S Confirmed for 2017 Banff Open - breaking news

Congrats!!!

Comment

Brian played in a tournament in Vancouver in August.
      It's great to see him back in action.
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

If not for a chance to play an IM, you should come to this tournament to see the most spectacular view from a playing hall of a chess event that I have ever seen:

https://www.facebook.com/AlbertaChes...type=3&theater

Comment

I am happy to announce that more rooms have been set aside for Banff Open. My wife (Madame President) promises they will be able to accommodate all chess players who wish to stay there.

Accommodation: Special chess rates at Banff Centre. $125 for double occupancy, add $20 for a additional person, up to max of quad plus applicable taxes. Guestroom rates are subject to a facility fee of $15.00 plus GST per person, per day. This fee includes: campus-wide Wi-Fi, phone calls across North America, access to Sally Borden Fitness and Recreation facilities, parking, access and borrowing privileges at The Banff Centre library and archives, and access to complimentary arts and programmed events when available. Call a toll free number 1-800-884-7574 and mention the 2017 Banff Open Chess tournament to book. The booking ID is BOC1711. The number of rooms is limited so please book early.

Comment

I am happy to announce the entry of WIM Agnieszka Matras Clement into the Banff Open. Currently we stand at 24 advanced entries. We really want to have 40 players this year, so please enter soon. I encourage you to register on our website http://www.albertachess.org/2017BO.php Also take advantage of the great hotel rates. Should you have a problem getting a room there, please email me directly at ianfindlay2314@gmail.com.

Given the magnificent playing site with the view of the majestic Rockies, the free coffee and snacks before each round, and the catered wine and cheese party with the Mayor of Banff attending, plus chess fortune cookies, provided by the Society of Chess Aficionados, I cannot think of better playing conditions for a tournament.

Comment

Sounds like it is going to be a great event. I would like to play this year but I am not sure if my work will get in the way. I hope to at least visit at some point during the weekend. Best of luck Ian!

Comment

Yes, the holiday being on Saturday was not the best for us. Next year we will probably have a late Friday round. Consider yourself invited to the Wine and Cheese party on Saturday night. I also recently learned that you were ED of the ACA many years ago.
                You can also take up to 2 half point byes, but I know that is not what most people want to do. If you drive in Saturday, there will be a Remembrance Day Parade in Banff, so lots of traffic in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
                  Yes, the holiday being on Saturday was not the best for us. Next year we will probably have a late Friday round. Consider yourself invited to the Wine and Cheese party on Saturday night. I also recently learned that you were ED of the ACA many years ago.
                  You can also take up to 2 half point byes, but I know that is not what most people want to do. If you drive in Saturday, there will be a Remembrance Day Parade in Banff, so lots of traffic in the morning.
                  The 2 half point byes option is what I had to go with, but I think that its still worth it to play in this event!

Comment

Thanks Ian, will try to make it.

Comment

I am delighted to report that we have a new #1 seed. FM elect, Gary Ng at 2426. He is just ahead of IM Brain Hartman at 2411 and IM Mark Ginsburg at 2358.

Comment

Final Standings.

1st place with 5.5 / 6 Mark Ginsburg Tuscan, Arizona $600
                        2nd- 5th with 4.5 / 6 Ian Findlay Banff, AB $100 each
                        Agnieszka Matras-Clement Leduc, AB
                        Georgi Kostadinov Calgary, AB
                        Jerry Kobalenko Canmore, AB

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
                          Final Standings.

1st place with 5.5 / 6 Mark Ginsburg Tuscan, Arizona $600
                          2nd- 5th with 4.5 / 6 Ian Findlay Banff, AB $100 each
                          Agnieszka Matras-Clement Leduc, AB
                          Georgi Kostadinov Calgary, AB
                          Jerry Kobalenko Canmore, AB
                          The most awesome tournament, thank you for hosting it again Ian, and I didn't even win!

Comment

This was definitely one of the most enjoyable tournaments I’ve played in, especially with the gorgeous views from the playing hall. Thank you Ian for organizing!

Comment

Working...
                            X