X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kovalyov Report

See article at chessbase:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/the-kovalyov-report

( Anton was not able to be reached for his comments, but apparently his comments will be included as soon as they can be obtained...)

pdf version of full report: http://en.chessbase.com/portals/all/...e%20Edited.pdf
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: The Kovalyov Report

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    See article at chessbase:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/the-kovalyov-report

( Anton was not able to be reached for his comments, but apparently his comments will be included as soon as they can be obtained...)

pdf version of full report: http://en.chessbase.com/portals/all/...e%20Edited.pdf

There seems to be a "crisis" in chess arbiting.

In the Noritsyn missing-Queen case, the arbiter explained that he could only keep his eyes on what was happening on the board, it was too much to expect him to also know Noritsyn's Queen was missing (held by Sambuev).

Now in the Kovalyov case, we have the following explanation for why Kovalyov was able to wear shorts the first 2 rounds of the event:

"Of course, not warning him until the third round was a mistake of arbiters supervising the game, but we have
    a lot of other jobs to do, especially me, so for the first two rounds I was concentrated on other things,
    that’s why I did not react. If someone, one of my colleagues or any other person had told me about this of
    course I would have reacted earlier."

Is it a case of arbiters being asked to do too much? Or is it just rampant incompetence?
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
      There seems to be a "crisis" in chess arbiting.

In the Noritsyn missing-Queen case, the arbiter explained that he could only keep his eyes on what was happening on the board, it was too much to expect him to also know Noritsyn's Queen was missing (held by Sambuev).

Now in the Kovalyov case, we have the following explanation for why Kovalyov was able to wear shorts the first 2 rounds of the event:

"Of course, not warning him until the third round was a mistake of arbiters supervising the game, but we have
      a lot of other jobs to do, especially me, so for the first two rounds I was concentrated on other things,
      that’s why I did not react. If someone, one of my colleagues or any other person had told me about this of
      course I would have reacted earlier."

Is it a case of arbiters being asked to do too much? Or is it just rampant incompetence?
      Good questions. Wouldn't the arbiters notice the players as they pass through the security scanning?

What surprised me about the report was that it seems to be several essentially random interviews with various people asking them what they saw/heard/think.
      I was sort of expecting an actual 'report' on the incident and both sides of the issue and (in my wildest dreams) some sort of response from FIDE about WHAT
      is going to be done or not done. I guess that is too much to expect. Duh. What the hell was I thinking?
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Follow the money.

Comment

Good questions. Wouldn't the arbiters notice the players as they pass through the security scanning?

What surprised me about the report was that it seems to be several essentially random interviews with various people asking them what they saw/heard/think.
          I was sort of expecting an actual 'report' on the incident and both sides of the issue and (in my wildest dreams) some sort of response from FIDE about WHAT
          is going to be done or not done. I guess that is too much to expect. Duh. What the hell was I thinking?
          Sure thing. But the flip side is that we also need some answers from Kovalyov himself:

-Is it true that he went to the world cup with only one pair of shorts in his luggage?
          -Is it true that he wanted to leave after the 2nd round anyways?
          -Was the world cup a priority for him, or did he make other plans for that month?
          -Is it true that he decided to leave, even though the officials were willing to accomodate him in some form?

Comment

I also noticed that they were all saying basically the same thing. One can hardly say that different perspectives were represented; it was merely a lot of people giving different variations of the same opinion.

Comment

And yet, y'all content to happily feed FIDE, applaud a junior's FIDE performance, use FIDE's chess game server ... on and on and on it goes.

And where's that robust letter of protest for the Chess Federation of Canada's missing 60k? Spineless!

Admit it ... you can't live without FIDE and your FIDE titles.

It's about time Canada came up with its own titles beyond just Master!

Prune our association and our talk FIDE this FIDE that!

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb Petersen View Post
                I also noticed that they were all saying basically the same thing. One can hardly say that different perspectives were represented; it was merely a lot of people giving different variations of the same opinion.
                And an independent observer might conclude that all those people were seeing an arrogant little prat, who brought most of the nasty stuff upon himself! Time to move on and not waste any more effort.......
                Fred Harvey

Comment

Neil you have hit the nail on the head. he beat a world champion and his rating jumped why risk losing. leave on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                    Neil you have hit the nail on the head. he beat a world champion and his rating jumped why risk losing. leave on a technicality.
                    ??? say what.

Comment

Working...
                    X