• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn. Kevin Pacey

To: toronto@strategygames.ca
    Sent: Sunday, October 1, 2017 8:00 PM
    Subject: Kevin Pacey's email?

I used to play at the Brampton chess club when Kevin was club President.
    I'm looking for a good chess coach. Found one internationally but can't figure
    out how to set up Skype, which is essential. Any chance you could ask him to
    contact me? I'm the guy with the red hair who used to hang around with Peter Hasen.

Many thanks.
    - Michael

Michael Bennett
    647-520-5600

Re: Attn. Kevin Pacey

Hi Francis

I was actually Brampton chess club tournament director in the 1980s (maybe some of the late 1970s, too), when the club didn't run CFC rated events. That was before I moved back to Ottawa in 1989. I think I remember Mike. Please pass on that I'm not interested in coaching anyone at this point in time. Fwiw, I tried to give lessons in that club (for free) briefly to a small group, but I didn't feel I was good at it, and I was a master even then.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

You are probably better at coaching than you think you are. In everything, the perfect is the enemy of the good.

Comment

I was up late last night and failed to notice Mike's email was included in Francis' post. I'll send Mike an email myself, to say hello as well.

My skills at explaining anything complex in general (i.e. teaching) seem to be limited, Vlad. My life has also been somewhat complicated for a long time now, for spiritual reasons that aren't so easy to believe (some might prefer schizophrenia as an explanation). What I could do is refer Mike to the CFC website's list of chess instructors, in case that would help. One guy that might be suitable to recommend for Mike is IM Tom O'Donnell, as I think he is heavily into email coaching.
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Working...
        X