X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakville Winter Open - Feb 2-4, 2018

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
    Hi Gary ;
    I have noticed some groups are low will there be merges if the numbers stay low?
    It's very unlikely that we will merge the sections as it will be unfair to lower rated players. Are we not able to get at least 10 players per section ? That will be pathetic, isn't it ? I hope not

https://elevatemychess.com/wp-conten...ov-2-2017-.pdf
    Last edited by Gary Hua; Wednesday, 1st November, 2017, 09:26 PM.

Comment

We have just surpassed 50 players and there are more 2100 section players now.

Surprisingly, 1800 only has less then 5 players. Where are all these players hiding ? You have the chance to strike more than $ 1,000 if you perfect 5. You won't get a chance in other tournaments.

The other 3 sections ( U1500/U1200 and U900 ) have lots of players.

Stay tuned for the next list of pre-registered players this Thursday ( Nov 9, 2017 ) and hopefully we will reach 60.

Gary Hua

Comment

We spoke to the hotel for a possible additional room to accommodate more players.

We are tempted to accept their offer but it has to depend on the registration first. At least once we cross the 100 players mark in the near future, probably we will then commit another room. Never an easy decision.

Currently we have only 52 players on board and I think a lot of players are on the sideline waiting for the date to be nearer to register.

We want to have more players but same time, we can't over commit ourselves and then if the players who have said they will join but then NOT join, we will be in trouble.

Thanks to those who has registered so far and we really hope to achieve more than 180 players in our maiden tournament in Oakville ( first tournament ever in the town of Oakville ).

Check out our websites for more details of our tournaments :

https://elevatemychess.com/tournament/

Our success depends on your participation.

Cheers to Chess in Canada

Elevate My Chess Canada Inc ( EMC )

Comment

Hi Gary,

52 players three months in advance is very impressive. Most people tend to join last minute.
          I'll come and play too!
          Now I just need to find a ride :-)

Alex F.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
            Hi Gary,

52 players three months in advance is very impressive. Most people tend to join last minute.
            I'll come and play too!
            Now I just need to find a ride :-)

Alex F.
            Thanks Alex for your support. Hope to see you join soon.

We are closing on to 60 with a couple of registration last night. The venue is very walking distance to the go-train if you do decide to come by go-train. It is just minutes of walking only.

Check out

http://www.guestreservations.com/hol...centre/booking

Cheers

Gary Hua

Comment

We have another titled player just registered.

Newly crowned FM and current Canadian Junior Champion who is currently in Italy playing in the WJCC - Richard Chen.

This makes it 6 titled players of 8 players registered in the Championship section so far. 1 GM, 2 IMs, 2 FMs and 1 CM.

If you are really looking at playing in a tough and challenging field, this is it - try to learn and get experience out of them and points ( FIDE ) from them.

Cheers for Chess in Canada

Gary Hua

Comment

Won't know for sure until January-ish but you can tentatively count me in. This seems pretty interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Nicholson View Post
                  Won't know for sure until January-ish but you can tentatively count me in. This seems pretty interesting.
                  Thanks Matthew for agreeing to join but the early bird entry fee dateline is Dec 17, 2017. We would love to have you joining us but you have to register online and pay before you are counted as registered.

After Dec 17, the price goes up by $ 10 for all categories. This will be the regular entry fee until Dec 31, 2017. From Jan 1, 2018, the price will goes up again.

If you or anyone is really intend to play, we really hope you will register first. You can always withdraw 3 days before the tournament begins for a full refund. Why wait and then ask why you miss the dateline ?

One month to go before the early bird entry fee ends.

Latest pre-registered list will be out end of today or tomorrow morning.

Cheers

Gary Hua
                  Last edited by Gary Hua; Thursday, 16th November, 2017, 09:24 AM.

Comment

How about the free entry for GM/IM and discounted entry fee for FM, should those benefits also end on the Dec 17 deadline? Since GM/IM were given free entry fees, can they withdraw whenever they wish during the tournament in case they lost in the early rounds? Some players play in the OPEN section in the hope of playing high rated opponents to gain rating points. How do you address to make sure there are no early withdrawals from the benefit (free entry fee) that was offered?

Comment

How about the free entry for GM/IM and discounted entry fee for FM, should those benefits also end on the Dec 17 deadline?
                      >>Yes. Please check our website again. They will have to pay for the entry fee.

Since GM/IM were given free entry fees, can they withdraw whenever they wish during the tournament in case they lost in the early rounds?
                      >>They can withdraw but if they re-enter, they will have to pay the re-entry fee as anyone else

Some players play in the OPEN section in the hope of playing high rated opponents to gain rating points. How do you address to make sure there are no early withdrawals from the benefit (free entry fee) that
                      >> These players come from afar and if they want to withdraw, I can't stop them. Is there any tournament in the world or US that prohibits players from withdrawing. There can be many excuses from not feeling well, etc.

I hope I have answer your questions. No tournaments are perfect in the world.

One of the reason why we give free entry fee to GM/IM is that we recognize their achievements as it is not easy to achieve GM/IM and give them an incentive to come and play in our tournament so that rising juniors or other fast improving players will benefit from playing against them. I guess you must have also noted that titled players has not been playing regularly in GTA tournament in recent times.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
                        I guess you must have also noted that titled players has not been playing regularly in GTA tournament in recent times.
                        As I noticed there were always many IMs in Hart House opens.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                          As I noticed there were always many IMs in Hart House opens.
                          I should correct myself :

Tournaments in GTA other than Hart House and Aurora. GMs are still missing though.

:(

Comment

I should correct myself :

Tournaments in GTA other than Hart House and Aurora. GMs are still missing though.

:(
                            We don't attract many IMs too ;)
                            Though, there are no GMs in Toronto as I know: Mark retired, Bator emigrated though comes from time to time. That for weekend tournaments. The last week tournaments had more GMs and IMs. However, that was so long time ago ~2010 - Canadian Opens and Toronto Open.

Comment

One of the reason why we give free entry fee to GM/IM is that we recognize their achievements as it is not easy to achieve GM/IM and give them an incentive to come and play in our tournament so that rising juniors or other fast improving players will benefit from playing against them. I guess you must have also noted that titled players has not been playing regularly in GTA tournament in recent times.
                              That's very nice of you to recognize their achievements and me too but how about their commitments? You can give incentives to selected players, and that's fine. But, how about the expectations of the players who paid the entry fees in the simple hope of playing them (GM/IM). Do you think that is just fine for the paying public? I think, the paying public also deserve the value and worth of their entry fees. Where is the experience of not only rising juniors but adults of playing higher rated players if they can just withdraw whenever they want too? I think there should be control, that is to give their incentives only if they honor such commitment which is to play in your tournament without withdrawal. It's like paying a complete meal and after the eating the main course, and you're waiting and expecting your dessert and drink/wine but they were gone?!

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                                Hi Gary;
                                I noticed you post prizes for 5 placements 5,4.5,4,3.5,3 Yet you only are offering 4 prizes after the Championship section. Is this an error or do the lower groups get the same prize for 3.5 and 3 points.
                                I have to sit this one out. Good luck with your first attempt at this new style of chess for Canada.
                                I have to second John's observation here and also add another question. That is, why were the Under 2100, 1800, 1500 sections have different prizes when they are paying the same entry fees? That for me is not proportional, specially if the lower sections turn out to register the most number of participants.

Comment

Working...
                                X