Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakville Winter Open - Feb 2-4, 2018

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    In the US, re-entries are not allowed in the top sections of FIDE-rated events (e.g. World Open). Supposedly - FIDE regulations do not allow for norm possibilities (and possibly other factors) if this is permitted. Also - a cunning player can manipulate his re-entry to his advantage as discussed here: http://boylston-chess-club.blogspot....ntroversy.html

The prizes in the non-Championship sections are too high. Have a maximum of $500 for first, and move more cash into the Championship section. Why encourage mediocrity? If a player wants "real" money, he has to compete for it among strong players.
    There are no norm chances in a 5-round event.

Note that the top prize is only for a perfect score and may not be claimed. In some sections first prize will likely be $500 each to players with 4.5. For an entry fee of $99+ the class prizes are appropriate. This is a sectional tournament, not a Championship such as the Canadian or Ontario Open.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
      Or,
      The prizes in the Championship section are too high. Have a maximum of $1,000 for first, and move more cash into non-Championship sections. Why discourage the participation of players rated below 2100?

Hugh, my comments are tongue in cheek, but I must push back against the question: Why encourage mediocrity? It should be obvious to everyone that organizers NEVER design the prize fund to encourage mediocrity. The prize fund is always designed with two key factors in mind. What is fair, and what will motivate the greatest participation. Answers to both questions are a matter of opinion.

Please stop asking the question: Why encourage mediocrity? As an organizer myself, I find this question rhetorical at best.
      If You are paying the same entry fee you should really get the same First Prize. Why not just give every section that pays the same entry the same prize fund. You want to encourage participation Right?

Comment

We should have our pre-registration list of players paid up within the next 1-2 weeks.

If you intend to play, we encourage you to sign up sooner than later. Success of the tournament depends on your participation.

Email me at ghua71ATyahooDOT.ca if you have any queries. The information on the website is very clear too and there is a FAQ as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Gary Hua

Comment

15 players registered at the moment. 3 titled players so far with a GM probably joining.

We have players in almost all sections now.

The list should be ready for viewing in the next few days.

I will be updating the pre-registered list on a weekly basis every Thursday. Once the page is ready, you can just view on our website page who is playing.

Cheers

Gary Hua
          Last edited by Gary Hua; Friday, 13th October, 2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Just some announcements and clarifications in view of some feedbacks from parents :

1. Our current arrangement with the two rooms ( combined together ) can fit in about 160 players. Max- probably 170 players.

2. We will allocate the player to the section currently registered but if your latest rating falls into another section( up or down ) , we will adjust you to the correct section accordingly. Either you get refund or you will pay the difference. Parents and players do not have to worry about that. If you have to play up later on, just email to us and you will have to pay cash for the playing up fee $ 10 at the venue then. Do not worry about the problem of playing in wrong section.

The last rating before the tournament begins holds and we will use that for the tournament.

The reason why we encourage the players to register earlier than later is because we cannot arrange another room at the last minute. If the registration reach 150 earlier on and looks likely that it will exceed the maximum number of players, we will get another room from the hotel at our own additional cost for the comfort of the players.

This also allows us to be more prepared earlier than at the last minute of preparation for equipment and for the TD to update all the details at one time. Please understand that there is a lot of preparation work involved.

Thanks to those who has registered and has supported us all this while. Bear in mind that what we are doing is just to make sure the best preparation for you guys - the players and parents. Register early and then you can sit back and we will keep update you accordingly.

I know it is still 3 months away from the tournament date but it never hurts to be better prepared. This maiden tournament in terms of score based prize is very important to us and we want you to feel good playing in this tournament as well.

3. First two or three boards in the Championship section - we will probably use the DGT board for live broadcast. Hope it materialize.

4. If you really need to cancel your registration, just let us know by email 3 days before the tournament begins and we will refund the entry fees to you.

Cheers

Gary Hua
            Last edited by Gary Hua; Friday, 13th October, 2017, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Are there any other sports, games, or activities which reward the non-elite with almost as much as the elite? There's no incentive to increase your rating in chess as long as there is lots of money (or any money at all) in non-elite clasees.
              +1. As they say in the post-game lobbies of my beloved Ps4 games: "Git gud skrub". Translation: If you want higher prizes play better chess.

Comment

Hi Gary;
                Aurora just finished and if you got the same numbers per section for your tournament this would be a good model for calculations.
                I'm making a big assumption that the same players would be willing to pay your larger entry fees, willing to travel to Oakville and the weather is perfect (which may or may not be possible).
                I'd suggest you pay out your suggested prizes based on Aurora's results. Then calculate your estimated expenses less the balance of entries and see if your tournament is going to be a success. If the figures show a plus then you'll be okay.
                Good Luck with your event.
                Last edited by John Brown; Monday, 16th October, 2017, 05:43 AM. Reason: typing error

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                  Hi Gary;
                  Aurora just finished and if you got the same numbers per section for your tournament this would be a good model for calculations.
                  I'm making a big assumption that the same players would be willing to pay your larger entry fees, willing to travel to Oakville and the weather is perfect (which may or may not be possible).
                  I'd suggest you pay out your suggested prizes based on Aurora's results. Then calculate your estimated expenses less the balance of entries and see if your tournament is going to be a success. If the figures show a plus then you'll be okay.
                  Good Luck with your event.
                  Thanks John for your concerns. It is within our expectations.

Response from parents and players has been very good during Aurora tournament and I would say all of them that I spoke to agreed to play which makes it really worthwhile to organize this tournament. In life or business, there is always a risk and we will take it. It is supposed to be a win win situation for both parents/players and the organizer if the turnout is good.
                  Last edited by Gary Hua; Monday, 16th October, 2017, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Pre-registered list of players ready as at Oct 16, 2017. We will update the list on a weekly basis.

http://elevatemychess.com/registered...kville-winter/

4 titled players including one of our most well known Canadian GMs - GM Bator Sambuev. 23 players on board so far. We encourage early registration so that we can add another room ( if necessary ). Capacity of current room is about 150-160

Cheers
                    Last edited by Gary Hua; Thursday, 19th October, 2017, 06:24 AM.

Comment

We have 27 players on board now and should reach 30 players by this weekend ( going by the trend ).

We just received the entry of Mississauga Chess Club 2016 champion, Benito Surya ( Mississauga local ) last night. We have players in ALL sections now.

http://elevatemychess.com/registered...kville-winter/

Cheers

Gary Hua
                      Last edited by Gary Hua; Saturday, 21st October, 2017, 04:28 AM.

Comment

IM Kaiqi Yang just signed up making a very interesting section to watch. He will be the player to watch in challenging our GM Bator Sambuev for the perfect 5 in the Championship section.

We are at 31 players now

Thanks to those who had signed up so far.

Cheers

Gary Hua
                        Last edited by Gary Hua; Tuesday, 24th October, 2017, 06:41 AM.

Comment

We are crossing 40 players now. List has been updated but did not include the latest entries. That will have to wait for next week. I am hopeful it will reach 50 by this weekend. Keep it coming

I received a couple of questions from parents and players and I would like to clarify :

1. Why are there 2 and 3 days ?
                          - It depends on your own time. If you have more time, you can opt to play on Friday night and then 2 games on Saturday ( morning and afternoon ). If you are busy on Friday, you dont have to take a bye on Friday but opt for 2 days schedule. You will be playing 3 games on Saturday ( just like other weekend tournament ). Both groups ( 2 days and 3 days ) will merge into one group for Round 3 and onward.

2. What is the re-entry purpose ?
                          - For players who intend to win the perfect score, they may want to re-entry again if they have a bad game in round 1. They will basically withdraw and re-enter again and start with a clean slate from round 1 again. That way, they may win 5 games in a row for the perfect score. It is very popular in USA.

3. What if I register and then find that I can't play in the tournament.
                          - We will refund you the full amount 3 days before the tournament begins which means last date to let us know is Jan 29, 2018 11.59PM. Feb 2 is the date we begin the tournament.

Please email to us if you have any further questions :

Many thanks to all who have registered to date.

Gary Hua

http://elevatemychess.com/wp-content...t-26-2017-.pdf
                          Last edited by Gary Hua; Friday, 27th October, 2017, 06:26 AM.

Comment

In the US, re-entries are not allowed in the top sections of FIDE-rated events (e.g. World Open). Supposedly - FIDE regulations do not allow for norm possibilities (and possibly other factors) if this is permitted. Also - a cunning player can manipulate his re-entry to his advantage as discussed here: http://boylston-chess-club.blogspot....ntroversy.html
                            Hi Hugh, we have checked with Hal Bond. If it is 9 rounds for norm, then the players are not allowed to re-enter but in this case, it is only 5 rounds thus it is ok. Thanks

http://elevatemychess.com/wp-content...t-26-2017-.pdf
                            Last edited by Gary Hua; Friday, 27th October, 2017, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Another IM and WFM just signed up making the numbers of players closing on to 50 now ( 1/3 of our target ). Help us to reach 60 by end of the week by registering earlier than later.

We have 6 titled players now and all the 6 sections are more evenly spread now.

New list of players will be out on our website on Thursday ( Nov 2, 2017 ).

https://elevatemychess.com/wp-conten...ov-2-2017-.pdf

Stay tuned.

Gary Hua
                              Last edited by Gary Hua; Wednesday, 1st November, 2017, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Hi Gary ;
                                I have noticed some groups are low will there be merges if the numbers stay low?

Comment

Working...
                                X