FIDE Album 2010-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE Album 2010-2012

FIDE continues a tradition of publishing "the official selections of the world's best and most representative chess compositions". FIDE Album 2007-2009 appeared in 2015, and the new FIDE Album 2010-2012 has been made available this fall.

"656 pages, 1402 diagrams, 294 authors. Comments, indexes, registers, statistics in English." I downloaded a sample and enjoyed reading through enigmatic descriptions like "Fivefold white Excelsior and promotion to nightrider, self-blocks" (?).

A section titled "Definitions of Fairy Pieces and Conditions" contains, among other entertaining stuff, a reference to a perfectly Canadian chess piece named Bishop-Moose. :p

Re: FIDE Album 2010-2012

I was about to recommend that a better choice was a Canada Bishop-Goose but that led me down somewhere dark and unpleasant.

Comment

Re: FIDE Album 2010-2012

Originally posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
      ... enjoyed reading through enigmatic descriptions like "Fivefold white Excelsior and promotion to nightrider, self-blocks" (?).
      Fivefold white Excelsior = 5 White pawns promote

nightrider = perhaps the most common fairy piece, a "super" Knight that can make one or a series of similar Knight moves,
      e.g. let N= nightrider (not S - that's for a regular Knight) then from a1 we have Nb3, Nc5, Nd7 are legit moves, as are Nc2, Ne3, and Ng4 are also legit nightrider moves (all from a1 in one move). The nightrider can, I think, make ordinary knight moves ... but why? heh.

The nightriders all block the White King's escape. I think that is self-block

(7 + 10) is the number of White (7) and Black (10) pieces in the problem

Finally ser.s#32 is 32 White moves followed by mate in 1 by Black

simple, really. lol. Unto Heinonen is a legendary composer.

Anyone who has a subscription to The Problemist [BCPS] would know all this, of course. I'm a neophyte in this stuff, but we have some fine composers right here in Canada.

Retro glossary
      Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Friday, 6th October, 2017, 01:19 AM. Reason: retro glossary link
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
      X