Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turkey for Thanksgiving

Originally posted by Hal Bond
    Contrary to Mr. Belzberg's comments, I still believe that EC would have ruled on the matter fairly if they could gather first hand evidence from Anton, ZA and the Chief Arbiter. They needed a clear reconstruction of those few minutes. The unofficial sentiment was with Anton but we will never know what might have been.
    What I already quoted from Spraggett's blog in my previous post clearly show's that the ethics committee has a long history of corruption and they just handed you yet another lame excuse and a pile of malarkey. Good thing you don't run a real store because you just gave the proverbial store away mate! A store, that is not even your's to give away. When FIDE pisses on the CFC don't come back and tell us it's raining yellow drops! You should be telling them that in your considered opinion they are frauds and that this opinion in addition to their historical track record of fraud will be widely reported to the entire world. Not, that they are nice guys! You need to grow some balls and learn how to negotiate with thugs.You are clueless in this area.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are just naively stupid but not corrupt. Given that you participated in the process in 2014 that got these crooks and absolute dregs of humanity elected in the first place after you declared publicly you were conflicted out of participating in such a process in 2010 I have no doubt that many here are beginning to think about you differently then I am.
    Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Saturday, 14th October, 2017, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
      What I already quoted from Spraggett's blog in my previous post clearly show's that the ethics committee has a long history of corruption and they just handed you yet another lame excuse and a pile of malarkey. Good thing you don't run a real store because you just gave the proverbial store away mate! A store, that is not even your's to give away. When FIDE pisses on the CFC don't come back and tell us it's raining yellow drops! You should be telling them that in your considered opinion they are frauds and that this opinion in addition to their historical track record of fraud will be widely reported to the entire world. Not, that they are nice guys! You need to grow some balls and learn how to negotiate with thugs.You are clueless in this area.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are just naively stupid but not corrupt. Given that you participated in the process in 2014 that got these crooks and absolute dregs of humanity elected in the first place after you declared publicly you were conflicted out of participating in such a process in 2010 I have no doubt that many here are beginning to think about you differently then I am.

Anyone who is part of the chess establishment and who is not completely anti-FIDE is part of the problem and not part of the solution. There will be no solution coming from FIDE -- ever.

But the worst part of it all is that organized chess doesn't offer itself up to other solutions. It isn't just a matter of money, it's the bigger matter of public and commercial perception of chess. FIDE has helped to make that perception mostly negative, probably 90% or so negative. Therefore chess is in reality stuck with FIDE, and actually is in the unfortunate position of having to be thankful that FIDE even exists at all. There isn't a Mark Cuban or any other "shark" who is going to come along and rescue chess. So Sid, I have to say, when you say as you have in other posts that some alternative to FIDE needs to come along, aren't you being as naively stupid as Hal Bond is in thinking FIDE might change their ways? What would it take for YOU to bring about that alternative to FIDE? What would it take for Rex Sinquefield (sp?) to do it? Money alone won't solve the problem. The general public has to want chess before chess can be run as a business.
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Sid, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and suggest that you are ill informed. Your reference to the Kasparov -Leong deal is a case in point. Ethics found them in violation and to Garry's chagrin, Leong took the case to the CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport) in Switzerland. The EC's decision was upheld. So there is no kangaroo court card to play there. Garry was also involved in the infamous law suit against FIDE in the 2010 FIDE elections, where Karpov's team was nit picking about the eligibility of one of Kirsan's team. After FIDE shelled out a million dollars (every Federation paid the price), the Karpov ticket was guilty of the same technical infraction.

I don't know what Spraggett says or thinks he knows, but you are dead wrong about the FIDE Ethics Committee - at least under its last two Chairs. Roberto Rivello and Francois Strydom have been exemplary. Another Kasparov supporter, Silvio Danailov, was busted under Strydom's leadership and at this Congress we learned that the Bulgarian Government has disbanded the Bulgarian Chess Federation in this connection.

There are bad people everywhere. I have said repeatedly that FIDE is far from perfect. Some characters are unsavory and I am frequently disappointed. There are many more devoted contributors who are great people by even your standards.

By the way, I was a lone voice from the floor of the Executive Board who asked Kirsan to give it up. I voted in favour of the motion which asked him not to run in 2018. Even if he can clear his name with the US Treasury Department I do not endorse him.

Comment

Hi Hal:

Thanks for your informed and detailed opinion......helps us plebs sort the wheat from the chafe.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond
            Leong took the case to the CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport) in Switzerland. The EC's decision was upheld. So there is no kangaroo court card to play there
            So let's take a look for a moment at what exactly the CAS found Leong "guilty of".

"The CAS held that Mr Leong “was committed to voting for Garry Kasparov. He sold his vote. There can be no finessing that conclusion no matter how indulgent an interpretation is taken of the Agreement” (§ 53 of the judgement).

The CAS further held as follows: “[Ignatius Leong] sold his vote to Garry Kasparov, and while he did not take personal benefit, clause 4 of the Agreement sets up the indirect benefit for him through the funding of ACA [Asean Chess Academy]".

Leong "sold" his vote for funding of a chess academy in Asia. Wow Leong wanted money for chess for Asian school Children and the Kasparov Chess Foundation obliged.... how terrible!

Can you explain to us how that is different from the CFC "selling their vote" to Kirsan in return for 80k of funding for FiDE tournaments in Canada? Interestingly only 20K was received(so we are told). Unlike the CFC Leong was smart enough to get the Asian Chess academy funding up front. The list of Chess Federations that "sold" their votes to Kirsan for various benefits is so long that I have lost count! Why has the CFC not lodged a complaint with the Ethics committee for not getting the 60K from Kirsan that was promised them?...Oh I forgot it is considered unethical to "sell votes". I recall you characterized the Kirsan/CFC deal as a failed "election promise". At least you could learn from the CAS that views a direct benefit to the voter as different then a general election promise that benefits everyone involved. One is a sale of a vote while the other is a campaign promise.

Perhaps you would like to explain why something changed in 2014 for you from 2010 where you yourself in 2010 publicly declared yourself conflicted out from participating in the CFC FIDE presidential endorsement because of direct and or indirect benefits you get from FIDE but suddenly in 2014 you were very much involved. Of course you are not much different then the so called "Ethics" committee who for years together with Kirsan's cronies have been his ass kissing sycophants.. Only after the court of real world opinion exposed Kirsan for the gangster he is did Kirsan's executive board turn against him 37-20 ...(seems you were not the lone voice) like a bunch of rats jumping from a sinking ship.
            Oh...I get it you were the lone voice that wanted him out whether or not the sanctions issue are resolved! Where were you hiding in 2014 when all of these issues surrounding Kirsan were clearly pointed out by many good and well informed people here on Chessstalk? You pride yourself in being so well informed but were you some how" ill informed" back then???
            As for being dead wrong about the FIDE ethics committee Spraggett eloquently pointed out that the Ethics committee had overwhelming evidence from Zurab himself(reread my original post) so Anton's testimony was of no relevance at all. Spraggett also brought up a legitimate question about the Ethics committee's bias in not taking FIDE organizers and insiders to task.
            Wake up and see the world the way it really is. Then and only then , maybe, together we can change it, for the better.
            Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Sunday, 15th October, 2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Re: More on Kovalyov...

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              I am not sure I would go quite that far; Anton certainly did not help his own case and I guess we can say HE got what HE wished for (apparently). Failing to authorize the CFC to act on his behalf and refusing to at least video conference meant he had no case.
              Anton DID authorize the CFC to act on his behalf via an email. The point is that we weren't going to be able to do much without some testimony from Anton since we cannot testify directly as to what happened because none of us were there. The whole issue of written authorization is a bit of a red herring. We could and would have overcome it if it had been relevant in the end. We could overcome it now and submit a new case to the ethics commission but they will again insist on testimony from the player and the organizer.

Comment

Kirsan already had the CFC vote by a vote of the CFC executive before there were any discussions of funding FIDE tournaments as I recall. As John Upper pointed out elsewhere many people were of the opinion that FIDE would implode if a certain world champion were at the helm. Behavior during the 2014 campaign did not provide any counter evidence to this supposition. There is no point in trying to re-litigate the 2014 FIDE election.

We probably would have gotten more of the FIDE funds if we were not so slow off the mark in organizing the tournaments.
                Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 15th October, 2017, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec
                  Kirsan already had the CFC vote by a vote of the CFC executive before there were any discussions of funding FIDE tournaments as I recall.
                  Respectfully, you are mistaken. The CFC's endorsement for Kirsan was only after he agreed to pay the 80K for FIDE sponsorship of tournaments. This is well documented in online discussions that one of the online voting members saved and forwarded to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                    Duly noted Vlad. Just like Trump voters. ;)
                    They got what they wanted and the results so far seem to be on target. Trump seems to be strategically dismantling Obama's legacy by simply refusing to continue with the illegal executive actions of Obama. This was always the Achilles heel of Obama's reliance on executive decrees in the absence of supporting legislation.

Back to the CFC I don't think the CFC would survive very long with someone like Neil in a position of responsibility. He would definitely increase the frustration factor and you would see volunteers leave.

Comment

Respectfully, you are mistaken. The CFC's endorsement for Kirsan was only after he agreed to pay the 80K for FIDE sponsorship of tournaments. This is well documented in online discussions that one of the online voting members saved and forwarded to me.
                      The endorsement may have come afterward but the vote had already gone against Kasparov. I remember that pretty clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                        The endorsement may have come afterward but the vote had already gone against Kasparov. I remember that pretty clearly.
                        The endorsement is what Kirsan wanted and agreed to pay for. The propaganda value of having an endorsement from a North American western democracy was huge and as it turned out he was right at the time! By the way the records show that the executive vote also was post the 80k offer.

Comment

The endorsement is what Kirsan wanted and agreed to pay for. The propaganda value of having an endorsement from a North American western democracy was huge and as it turned out he was right at the time! By the way the records show that the executive vote also was post the 80k offer.
                          I doubt very much Drkulec & Co. can run far enough or fast enough away from that matter, Sid. Even in this very thread Drkulec & Co. are trying desperately to twist timeline facts and put distance being them and FIDE! Drkulec should simply resign ... he is such an embarrassment to chess in Canada.

And BTW ... $60,000.00 is still outstanding ... with not one peep of protest from Drkulec & Co. ...I wonder why?

But what really bugs me Sid, even in today's CFC/FIDE climate the current/ongoing touting of chess events as being FIDE rated. How many upcoming CFC events are also being FIDE rated?

The Chess Federation of Canada should unplug from FIDE on a local level by refusing to FIDE rate all CFC local tournaments! Unplug from FIDE chess server! And before it's too late press Kirsan for our missing $60,000.00 ... right NOW is a great time to do just that!

Proactive ... move forward.
                          Last edited by Neil Frarey; Sunday, 15th October, 2017, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                            I doubt very much Drkulec & Co. can run far enough or fast enough away from that matter, Sid. Even in this very thread Drkulec & Co. are trying desperately to twist timeline facts and put distance being them and FIDE! Drkulec should simply resign ... he is such an embarrassment to chess in Canada.

And BTW ... $60,000.00 is still outstanding ... with not one peep of protest from Drkulec & Co. ...I wonder why?

But what really bugs me Sid, even in today's CFC/FIDE climate the current/ongoing touting of chess events as being FIDE rated. How many upcoming CFC events are also being FIDE rated?

The Chess Federation of Canada should unplug from FIDE on a local level by refusing to FIDE rate all CFC local tournaments! Unplug from FIDE chess server! And before it's too late press Kirsan for our missing $60,000.00 ... right NOW is a great time to do just that!

Proactive ... move forward.
                            Originally posted by Neil Frarey
                            Drkulec should simply resign ... he is such an embarrassment to chess in Canada.
                            He made a mistake in supporting Kirsan and I was very angry about it for quite sometime. However, I believe in forgiving and forgetting and looking forward with new ideas. Vlad put a lot of energy into chess and I think we should all work together to channel that energy in a positive way if we are all finally united in seeing things the same way ( Chess without FIDE!).

Comment

He made a mistake in supporting Kirsan and I was very angry about it for quite sometime. However, I believe in forgiving and forgetting and looking forward with new ideas. Vlad put a lot of energy into chess and I think we should all work together to channel that energy in a positive way if we are all finally united in seeing things the same way ( Chess without FIDE!).
                              He made a mistake in supporting Kirsan and I was very angry about it for quite sometime. However, I believe in forgiving and forgetting and looking forward with new ideas. ( Chess without FIDE!).
                              Even though a snake can shed its skin ...it's still a snake.

I'll follow your lead, Sid.

Comment

Refusing to FIDE rate all CFC Local tournament would discourage players who are interested in establishing their FIDE rating. I already know of two players who are not interested in playing in the Almonte Open because it is not FIDE rated, and we are talking about a small town weekend swiss.

Comment

Working...
                                X