Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turkey for Thanksgiving

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
    Even if they are technicalities, in a reasonable court the judge would grant a delay in the hearing to give the defendant time to obtain such a signed document. Even 72 hours would have been more than enough time.
    I don't think either Hal or I took the October 2nd deadline or the demand to fly Anton to Turkey seriously as it was simply impossible even before this most recent issue of Turkish visas when travelling from the U.S. If the permission slip was the key issue then it would have been done. It was not the key issue. At this point it is just an excuse they are using to kick the can down the road. Presumably we could get that permission signed and reactivate our request but they would then shut it down because Anton (understandably) does not trust the process and doesn't want to participate. Hal will exhaust all the possibilities in Turkey and at that point we will have some decisions to make if we are not happy with the result of those efforts.

Comment

Doesn't change the fact that you almost have to fight with Anton to convince him to defend his own cause...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Zurab A. is a bully. These guys have a predator-like mentality. They can smell the odor of a potential victim from miles away. So my advice to Anton would be: stop acting like a victim and the bully won't have any power on you. I know it sounds rude, but that's the sad truth.

Comment

Re: More on Kovalyov...

Anton is a grad student trying to make good grades in a difficult program who already missed some school due to his participation in the world cup. Asking him to fly to Turkey to deal with this was just unreasonable.

I am used to absurdity. Not everyone is. A rational response to absurdity is to remove yourself from the absurd situation and concentrate on what is important to you. Anton has been fairly consistent in this regard. He did not create this situation. It is not about the shorts or the dress code. I want to see him continue to play chess even if it is strictly outside of FIDE. I believe that he will do so. Perhaps some new leaders will arise within FIDE to make it less absurd at which point it will be possible that Anton will even return to FIDE play.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          Anton is a grad student trying to make good grades in a difficult program who already missed some school due to his participation in the world cup. Asking him to fly to Turkey to deal with this was just unreasonable.

I am used to absurdity. Not everyone is. A rational response to absurdity is to remove yourself from the absurd situation and concentrate on what is important to you. Anton has been fairly consistent in this regard. He did not create this situation. It is not about the shorts or the dress code. I want to see him continue to play chess even if it is strictly outside of FIDE. I believe that he will do so. Perhaps some new leaders will arise within FIDE to make it less absurd at which point it will be possible that Anton will even return to FIDE play.
          That's actually a fair point. I agree the situation is absurd. But my point still stand. In the very little interaction Anton had with FIDE officials, he acted like a victim. I understand that he wants to move away from the absurdity, but even then, you have to be careful on how you're going to move away. If you act like a victim, you're gonna be treated like a victim by some bullies.

Comment

François Strydom, Chairman of the FIDE Ethics Commission:
            "You must not pull a sad face."

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              Link to Anton's Facebook post:

https://www.facebook.com/anton.koval...10351083998619

Some interesting points in there - including Anton's assertion that he DID give permission to the CFC to represent his interests and received no paperwork about it.

(I decided not to paste the text of his post here since I do not have permission to do so and anyone who is interested can look at it on FB;
              I am not a big fan of FB but there it is and I hope it does not require a FB login to read the post.)
              Anton says that he never got any papers to sign!

Add to that, Drkulec posted here on CT that the CFC was pleased to have overcome such an important hurdle of receiving Anton's permission!

The paperwork never got done because of the ethics committee requests which I believed asked for some kind of notarized permission coupled with a somewhat ridiculous timeline. We received their request on Thursday September 28th and we were being asked to organize everything for Monday October 2nd.
              This from FIDE's official statment on why the Chess Federation of Canada formal appeal failed to be heard:

"On 27 September 2017 the EC received a formal complaint against the organiser of alleged breaches of the FIDE Code of Ethics from the Chess Federation of Canada (CFC). The CFC asserted that it was acting “in and for itself and on behalf of GM Anton Kovalyov”. The complaint was not supported by any statement by the player.

The EC chairman requested from CFC a power of attorney or letter of authorisation under the signature of the player enabling the CFC to represent his interests. The CFC’s submissions were also sought on the issue of whether CFC in its own capacity enjoys standing to act as the complainant."

https://www.fide.com/component/conte...lyov-case.html

Power of attorney or letter of authorization could have been easily prepared and E-Signatures are legally binding and quickly used every > single > day.

I was away that weekend playing in a tournament and the email arrived during a self imposed disconnection from internet distractions...
              Whinny about a 4 DAY timeline ... would rather play in a tournament ... self imposed disconnection from internet distractions.

Wow!!!

Now we know why it was soooo easy for FIDE to simply brush off the CFC's formal complaint!

Staggering stuff for chess in Canada to endure such an embarrassment which could have been so easily avoided.
              Last edited by Neil Frarey; Friday, 13th October, 2017, 02:06 AM.

Comment

My internet is working again so just quickly before we go back into session - Anton's permission to act on his behalf came in email correspondance with him. The legal jargon was less important because it all came down to EC being able to interview the relevant parties. I met with Francois Strydom for half an hour on the day before the EC meeting and he invited me to the meeting where I was invited to comment, as was the Chief Arbiter.

Contrary to Mr. Belzberg's comments, I still believe that EC would have ruled on the matter fairly if they could gather first hand evidence from Anton, ZA and the Chief Arbiter. They needed a clear reconstruction of those few minutes. The unofficial sentiment was with Anton but we will never know what might have been.

Comment

I look forward to NJF running for an exec position of the CFC in 2018. He is a fabulous Monday morning quarterback.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                    I look forward to NJF running for an exec position of the CFC in 2018. He is a fabulous Monday morning quarterback.
                    Perhaps he is just emulating his idol: The Trump
                    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                      He has to become a member of the CFC first. This seems to be a significant barrier to entry for him.

Comment

As previously stated, I am happy to pay for Neil's CFC Membership. However I believe Neil will not put his name up until he has a majority of voting members stating publicly that they will vote for him.

Ahhh what the heck! Neil, apply for any role in the CFC and I will give you my vote of support.

Somebody pass the popcorn.

Comment

As previously stated, I am happy to pay for Neil's CFC Membership. However I believe Neil will not put his name up until he has a majority of voting members stating publicly that they will vote for him.

Ahhh what the heck! Neil, apply for any role in the CFC and I will give you my vote of support.

Be very careful what you wish for. You might get it.

Comment

Duly noted Vlad. Just like Trump voters. ;)
                            Last edited by Garland Best; Friday, 13th October, 2017, 06:08 PM. Reason: Insert humor here.

Comment

Another option I'd consider is if you ran for Vice Pres ...I'll run for Pres. We have a lot of work to do on several fronts.

Anything elitist we'll trust to Drkulec & Co. ...whom I have full confidence in that regard. Except for two items; FIDE chess server & our missing $60,000.00.

Comment

Thanks for the offer, but my current 50-60 hour work schedule prevent me from taking on executive duties. I'm considering it once I retire, but that's a decade from now.

Comment

Working...
                                X