Does your chess club have its own in-club rating system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your chess club have its own in-club rating system?

Just curious as to how many chess clubs have their own in-club rating system?

London Chess Club

http://londonchessclub.ca/
    http://londonchessclub.ca/?page_id=2

Chess Ratings
    We have an in-house rating system.
    See ‘Ratings’ in menu at top of page.
    The CFC provides a national rating service; go to chess.ca

Re: Does your chess club have its own in-club rating system?

I know Brampton Chess Club has it's own rating system for blitz, rapid and classical. KW chess club (my main club) uses CFC.

Comment

I think a local rating makes a lot of sense for small towns where the guys mostly play against each other on a weekly basis, and not that often in CFC/FQE rated events. Saves a ton on rating/membership fees.

And on the same basis, I always thought it doesn't make much sense to use FIDE ratings in local/provincial events with no international players.

But yeah, people are obsessed with ratings.

Comment

How are these rating systems implemented? Can they use them with tournament software?

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
          How are these rating systems implemented? Can they use them with tournament software?
          Hi Garland:

Most pairing software can import data from a file (dbase, delimited text, etc.). Those files can be created by exporting from an Excel spreadsheet (for example).

There's probably some freeware out there that will implement a simple rating system. It may even be built into some of the current pairing software (I haven't looked at them in several years, but I believe that SwissManager is able to calculate a post-event rating.)

In any event, for a small club, it wouldn't be too hard to implement one by hand. Assign new players ratings (invent a number or use an existing rating in another system. At the end of a tournament (either a weekend event or the usual one night a week for x weeks), manually calculate the new ratings and save them to the appropriate database file. The Chess 'n Math system is straightforward and can be found here: https://chess-math.org/scholastic-rating

Alternately you can just plug the numbers for each player into a ratings calculator (such as the CFC's).

It would be a fair bit of work to do it for a large group and you would almost certainly want to use software.

I'm sure others (i.e. Mr. Zeromkis) are more current with existing pairing software and/or aware of what tools are out there.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
            Hi Garland:
            Most pairing software can import data from a file (dbase, delimited text, etc.).
            Or just type "elo rating calculator" into Mr. Google....

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
              Or just type "elo rating calculator" into Mr. Google....
              Yup, that'll work too :-)

Comment

After a bit of rummaging that that Internet thing, I found this: http://www.garnergaggle.org/papa/chess/ELORater/

It looks like it would do the trick but it is ancient so heaven knows whether it would work on 64-bit systems with a current version of Windows. There's probably others out there.

Steve

Comment

My hometown chess club used to have inhouse blitz ratings. The club was small (~20) and it was not a big deal to quickly calculate ratings after the RR or the match. However, the drawback was that players started to look more carefully what tournament or match to play...

At the beginning at Aurora chess club, Graeme tried to calculate ratings in rapid/blitz tournaments. However the number of players in the Swiss was large, and it took him more time than he wanted to waste on that. Now, I don't bother with updates for rapid/blitz tournaments; only regular tournaments are rated by the CFC.

I don't know a single software what could be used to manage ratings and players in the club.

Comment

Brampton CC had it's own rating system at least as far back as the late 1970's, i.e. in the pre-commercial rating software days. Fwiw, Hart House of U of T also had a bughouse rating system around that time, if not before then too.
                    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      My hometown chess club used to have inhouse blitz ratings. The club was small (~20) and it was not a big deal to quickly calculate ratings after the RR or the match. However, the drawback was that players started to look more carefully what tournament or match to play...

At the beginning at Aurora chess club, Graeme tried to calculate ratings in rapid/blitz tournaments. However the number of players in the Swiss was large, and it took him more time than he wanted to waste on that. Now, I don't bother with updates for rapid/blitz tournaments; only regular tournaments are rated by the CFC.

I don't know a single software what could be used to manage ratings and players in the club.
                      I used to use an excel spreadsheet to calculate the ratings. Our tournaments were round robins so I just entered the ratings and players into an input range and then the spreadsheet would do all the calculations and the crosstable could even be published in a newsletter with a copy and paste. We used the old calculation which was (W-L)*16+0.04(Rating Difference up to 350 points in each game) so you always got at least two points for a win.

Comment

For years I did blitz ratings for the Montreal area - at times there were 4 or 5 a week. Until the later years, all were round-robins (biggest was 36 players!). I created my first program as an assignment for a COBOL course in 1971. Regular weekly blitzes stopped about 10 years ago, but the FQE uses my ratings for the few blitz tournaments that get rated by them (22 last year; 20 so far this year)..

Comment

The Victoria Chess Club has a rating system with standings regularly posted on the club's website, maintained by club President Roger Patterson.
                          Paul Leblanc
                          Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Interesting.

To make this all worth the effort, I think you would need at least a spreadsheet (perhaps a database program), where one could enter players and their initial ratings or unrated, and after each tournament update the ratings (presumably using an ELO system?). This in turn needs to be easily imported/exported into Swiss-sys (home brew system), so the program can do the pairings, track results, and then transfer tournament results to the database. What I don't want is a program that requires an hour of data entry each week. Just enter names into a player database one time, select players from the database to enter each tournament, and then let the software do the pairings and the rating updates and reports.

For those of you who have already accomplished this, I would love to see working copies of what you use and how you do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                              Interesting.

To make this all worth the effort, I think you would need at least a spreadsheet (perhaps a database program), where one could enter players and their initial ratings or unrated, and after each tournament update the ratings (presumably using an ELO system?). This in turn needs to be easily imported/exported into Swiss-sys (home brew system), so the program can do the pairings, track results, and then transfer tournament results to the database. What I don't want is a program that requires an hour of data entry each week. Just enter names into a player database one time, select players from the database to enter each tournament, and then let the software do the pairings and the rating updates and reports.

For those of you who have already accomplished this, I would love to see working copies of what you use and how you do it.
                              er... What I have for the Victoria Club is a MySQL database containing all rated tournament results with software written in php to handle all the necessary functions (all software written by me). http://www.victoriachess.com/db/ Details of how the rating system works are posted on the club website http://www.victoriachess.com/db/description.html . Entering a new tournament is pretty straightforward (although manual) but then, I'm biased. I maintain a master copy on my own computer which I used to enter new events and then transfer a SQL dump to the server. I could in principle set up to manipulate the server database copy directly.

It only handles completed events.

Apart from rating players, it is also a convenient way to store and display crosstables from club events which is useful. http://www.victoriachess.com/db/Rati...pe=xtable_list Copies of the database produced crosstable can be pasted into event reports and have links for individual players to look up their past performance.

It also allows for being able to demonstrate to sponsors just what activity there is in the club and how many people are active in the club, also useful information on occasion.

The RA club, of which you are a member, used to have a rating system for it's blitz events. This was implemented in Excel by a friend of Doug Burgess but was pretty unwieldy and required regular maintenance. I guess the RA club no longer maintains a rating system since I left. Understandable, as it requires someone with some computer smarts and the will to put some amount of work into doing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X