2017 Sudbury Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Sudbury Championship

Northern Ontario's strongest tournament (...I guess when we don't have the Canadian Open in the Sault lol) is back and stronger than ever.

Details are below. Pre-registration by email or replying to this thread is requested. A little bit short notice this year. Whoops.

2017 SUDBURY CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP

Dates
    Saturday Nov 4/Sunday Nov 5

Place : Laurentian University, Sudbury, ON

Classroom Building

Room C-306

Rounds : 5

Type : Regular Swiss

Times : Sat 9, 1:30, 6:30

Sun 10, 3:30

TC : Sat 30/75, SD/60

Sun 30/90, SD/60

EF : $35

JrSr $20

Sec : Open

Prizes : $BEN

Reg : Sat Nov 4 at site 8-8:45 am

Org : Bob Kiviaho

kiviaho@hotmail.com

( cell ) 705-919-8900

Misc : Max 2 byes Rds 1-4

Time adjustment for players having to take public transportation Sun morning.

Bob Kiviaho

Re: 2017 Sudbury Championship

Matthew I thought I'd beat you to posting here this time but I guess not! I will come down for this one. I see I missed a performance for the ages at the last active.

If anyone else is thinking of coming from out of town please post here.

Comment

Going to be great to have you there Alex! You always add an extra layer because you're a realistic threat to upset the top guys ;).

Comment

IM Brian Hartman ... plans to play.

Organizer Bob Kiviaho noted that IM Brian Hartman, coming out of retirement, plans to play.
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: IM Brian Hartman ... plans to play.

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
          Organizer Bob Kiviaho noted that IM Brian Hartman, coming out of retirement, plans to play.
          Yup! Pretty exciting! I'll try to compile a preregistration list over the next week or so. Going to be a great event.

Comment

Re: IM Brian Hartman ... plans to play.

Okay here's a rough attempt at a pre-registered list! A lot of locals just show up on tournament day and register there, so I've put an asterisk beside the "maybe" names.

Will update periodically.

- IM Brian Hartman 2411
            - NM Matthew Nicholson 2315
            - NM Bob Kiviaho 2125
            - Mavros Whissell* 2072
            - Michael Guignard 2067
            - Eric Ning 1969
            - Ken Robinson 1864
            - Ephraim Mothupi 1862
            - Patrick Lafreniere* 1811
            - Alex Lambruschini 1792
            - Roger Sukoluk* 1683
            - Ralf Meyer 1671
            - Glen Schmiege 1668
            - Evan Kilroy 1643
            - Craig McGilly 1479
            - Derek Chen 1427
            - Simon Cloutier 1150
            - Martin St. Jules 879
            Last edited by Matthew Nicholson; Friday, 3rd November, 2017, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Only a week away!

Comment

Bump! Looks like this weekend will be the strongest/largest sudbury Ch to date. Exciting stuff.

Comment

Bumping one last time. Just completed what will be the final update of the pre-registered list. One "maybe" name came off and half a dozen or so out of towners were added.

It can be a tiny bit tricky finding the tournament hall (big, sprawling university) so we'll try to put up a few signs. Arriving a little early wouldn't be a horrible idea though.

If you get lost I leave my phone on until right up to the start of the first round. My number is (705) 207-6819. You can call/text and I'll come find you.

Comment

Only two rounds down and some insane stuff has already happened.

Ralf Meyer (1600) had an advantage with black against IM Brian Hartman (2400). The game ended in a draw.

NM Bob Kiviaho fell for an opening trap against Joe Dumontelle (1700) and got his queen trapped... And then won anyways!

Yours truly gave up a draw to Evan Kilroy (1600) who never gave me a chance to make the game interesting at all.

And Simon Cloutier has the biggest upset prize so far! He (1100) beat Ken Robinson (1800) convincingly in a positional crush.

Players all the way from SSM Michigan to Chapleau to North Bay to Toronto have travelled to sudbury for this event, and what an event it has been. Three rounds to go...

Comment

I was home visiting family two weeks ago and dropped into the North Bay Chess Club (Tuesday evenings at the Canadian Legion on Main Street).
                      There were a dozen players including Ken Robinson with whom I had spoken on the phone to determine the time and place.
                      They seemed to be a very friendly group.
                      I played a challenging game against Evan Kilroy, a promising junior and although I won, I wouldn't hesitate to say that he was playing significantly above his rating.
                      I hope he does well in Sudbury.
                      Given enough notice, I'll try to get to Sudbury next year.
                      Paul Leblanc
                      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

A huge congratulations to IM Hartman and NM Kiviaho for their shared victory! And congratulations to Evan Kilroy for winning the U1800 prize and picking up an estimated 196 rating points along the way!

More details to follow...

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Nicholson View Post
                          A huge congratulations to IM Hartman and NM Kiviaho for their shared victory! And congratulations to Evan Kilroy for winning the U1800 prize and picking up an estimated 196 rating points along the way!

More details to follow...
                          My game against Bob as black, not so happy for me :) 15...d5 was my undoing, completely missing all the threats against Re8 because my rooks weren't connected.

1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 e5 4. Nf3 Nbd7 5. Bd3 Be7 6. O-O O-O 7. h3 c6 8. Be3 Re8 9. Qd2 Qc7 10. Rad1 Nf8 11. Rfe1 Ng6 12. a3 Bf8 13. Bg5 Nh5 14. Ne2 h6 15. Be3 d5 16. dxe5 dxe4 17. Bxe4 Nxe5 18. Nxe5 Qxe5 19. Bd4 Qg5 20. Qxg5 hxg5 21. Ng3 Nxg3 22. Bh7+ Kxh7 23. Rxe8 Bg4 24. Rxa8 Bxd1 25. fxg3 Bd6 26. Rxa7 Bxc2 27. Rxb7 *

Comment

Bob actually played that really well... Wow.

I'll write up my game against Hartman shortly but for now I'll just show my game against Ning because it was pretty funny.

Nicholson, Matt - Ning, Eric

1. Nf3 g6 2. e4 c5 3. d4 Bg7 4. dxc5 Nc6 5. Nc3 Nf6 6. Nd2 O-O 7. Nc4 b5 8. cxb6
                            Ba6 9. Be3 Nxe4 10. Nxe4 d5 11. b7 Rb8 12. Nc5 Bxc4 13. Bxc4 dxc4 14. Qxd8 Rfxd8
                            15. O-O Bd4 16. Bxd4 Rxd4 17. Rfd1 Rbd8 18. Rxd4 Rxd4 19. b4 Nb8 20. a4 Kf8 21.
                            a5 Ke8 22. b5 Kd8 23. a6 Kc7 24. Na4 Nd7 25. b6+ axb6 26. Nc3 1-0

Comment

Strong event! I look forward to playing next year. Paul it would be good to see you.

Comment

Working...
                              X