FIDE and the CFC and the upcoming Olympiad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FIDE and the CFC and the upcoming Olympiad

Actually, that's an interesting concept - an attire protest. The entire team wears Bermuda shorts as a sign of solidarity. Gets the message across without actually boycotting.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
      Actually, that's an interesting concept - an attire protest. The entire team wears Bermuda shorts as a sign of solidarity. Gets the message across without actually boycotting.
      A very good idea. I thought about something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
        Mathieu clearly thinks that Zurab's reprehensible behaviour at the World Cup was somehow Anton's fault.
        Nope. I think Zurab A. and Anton are two different guys.

Zurab's mental disorder has absolutely nothing to do with Anton. But there's a flip side to that argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
          A very good idea. I thought about something similar.
          That is an awful idea. Both Anton and Zurab were in the wrong during that incident. Maybe Zurab 10x moreso than Anton, but at the end of the day shorts are not acceptable. I hope this wasn't a serious suggestion.

In fact I hope this entire thread isn't serious. Zurab's behaviour is unacceptable without question, but he is correct about the shorts (despite the many flaws in his process of pointing that out).

Comment

"In fact I hope this entire thread isn't serious." Aman Hambleton.

Aman, I would like to share your optimism about this thread, but, as a realistic person, I could not do it. This thread was started by CFC president. I do believe, he was very serious. After CFC violated it's own rules about Canadian Closed and about Olympiad Selection - nothing will surprise me.

I have to say again that Olympiad boycott is an extremely bad idea. Unfortunately, it's a possible scenario for CFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
              "In fact I hope this entire thread isn't serious." Aman Hambleton.

Aman, I would like to share your optimism about this thread, but, as a realistic person, I could not do it. This thread was started by CFC president. I do believe, he was very serious. After CFC violated it's own rules about Canadian Closed and about Olympiad Selection - nothing will surprise me.

I have to say again that Olympiad boycott is an extremely bad idea. Unfortunately, it's a possible scenario for CFC.
              Totally agree. If CFC boycott the Olympiad, Canadian Chess will be brought back to Pre-Historic time and all forms of Chess tournaments will just collapse.

Comment

down with Calvin ball

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
                Totally agree. If CFC boycott the Olympiad, Canadian Chess will be brought back to Pre-Historic time and all forms of Chess tournaments will just collapse.
                There is a school of thought in which chaos is profitable and, therefore, a good thing. Those who sell weapons of war, for example, sometimes sell weapons to both sides in a conflict and make double profits. There are some, even on this issue, who, due to their malevolent political views, are in favor of chaos. If they can't have their way, then destroy everything. In politics they are called neo-cons and include people like G. Kasparov, Robert Kagan, Victoria Nuland, etc..

Interestingly, Kasparov later admitted that the establishment of a rival to FIDE was a mistake on his part. I don't know what more evidence people want.

The South African boycott was very successful and, together with the anti-apartheid struggle in southern Africa (South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, etc., etc.), carried the day. Such agreement is quite rare, however. The current Iranian boycott, e.g., of Israeli athletes, has no seconders, and the Western MSM seems to mainly try to ridicule or denounce their efforts.

I won't write more on this latter topic as my previous remarks here were censored.

To me, this current boycott idea is like Calvin ball. If they can't have their way, then they want to take the ball and go home. We rightly mock such conduct.
                Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

There's a really funny South Park episode called "Canada on Strike" where the entire country stops working or doing anything, and the world goes on as if nothing happened and nobody cares. Pretty funny - and probably exactly what's going to happen if we boycott the Olympiad.

If we don't have the power to make an impact in an official hearing or with social media then we certainly don't have any chance of making an impact with a staged protest.

Comment

There's something to be said for taking action because it's the right thing to do whether or not it is going to effect change.

I wouldn't necessary enact this protest just because of the Anton/Zurab issue (in the end, it was one rogue, and FIDE did provide an alley to appeal which "our side" chose not to pursue - you could certainly argue it was a fruitless alley to pursue, but it did exist), but whether or not Canada (or any country) should be supporting FIDE in any way is a very valid question. It is a completely corrupt and dishonest organization that brings nothing of value to the world of chess that couldn't be done better by almost anyone else.

Participating in the Olympiad brings nothing to Canadian chess - we were on board 1 in the last round of the last Olympiad, and chess in Canada did not grow one iota as a result, nor did our top players appear to generate any special benefit in terms of international prestige and invitations. Rather than talk about what the protest would accomplish, ask what participating will accomplish?

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                      There's something to be said for taking action because it's the right thing to do whether or not it is going to effect change.

I wouldn't necessary enact this protest just because of the Anton/Zurab issue (in the end, it was one rogue, and FIDE did provide an alley to appeal which "our side" chose not to pursue - you could certainly argue it was a fruitless alley to pursue, but it did exist), but whether or not Canada (or any country) should be supporting FIDE in any way is a very valid question. It is a completely corrupt and dishonest organization that brings nothing of value to the world of chess that couldn't be done better by almost anyone else.

Participating in the Olympiad brings nothing to Canadian chess - we were on board 1 in the last round of the last Olympiad, and chess in Canada did not grow one iota as a result, nor did our top players appear to generate any special benefit in terms of international prestige and invitations. Rather than talk about what the protest would accomplish, ask what participating will accomplish?
                      The higher up the CFC rating list that players climb ...the less Canadian they become ...and the more FIDE they become!
                      Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 16th October, 2017, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                        The higher up the CFC rating list that players climb ...the less Canadian they become ...and the more FIDE they become!
                        Not really a fair statement - once you get high enough on the ladder and decide this is your career, you are stuck within the monopoly of FIDE. I doubt if you gave any player in the top 500 on the rating list a pure truth serum and said "what do you think of FIDE" that you'd hear many positive responses. But if they do tell the truth, they get sent home with no prize money and no career. Pretty horrible.

Comment

Neil, I'm puzzled by your recent posts.

I've always understood your position to be that chess should be promoted for the masses, and that mainly means outside of organized chess, a la FIDE, the CFC perhaps even Chess n' Math. But a natural outgrowth of that is there will be increasing numbers of players who want to be the best at what they do. Surely there is nothing wrong with that.

But to "become the best" you have to compete against the best, which is why there are organized sports, and ranking systems, and competitions at various levels. Conversely, individuals who reach high levels help promote the game. How many kids playing hockey dream of being the next Sidney Crosby or carrying the Stanley Cup?

Given this, providing support and publicity to our top players should raise the visibility of chess in Canada. This has been demonstrated especially with the youth program, where youths who achieve on the world stage get newspaper and television attention. This in turn raises the public profile of chess.

I'm not saying that elite players should be idolized without question. Irresponsible and harmful behavior needs to be recognized and stop.

I'm also not against a program that focuses more attention on a grassroots level as opposed to focused on "elite players", if the results are more productive in getting more players to play.

But to denigrate all levels of players because want to play in FIDE rated events, or to equate a high rating as being un-Canadian cannot possibly help promote the game in Canada.

So where are you going with this?

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post

So where are you going with this?
                            There's a very big assumption in there....!
                            Fred Harvey

Comment

I would just send our best team and wear suits covered in Red maple Leaves. White Suits, White Shirts covered in Red Maple Leaves and a Red Tie with White Maple Leaves. Be proud you are Canadian and do well at the Olympics. Politics will always cause trouble. Be proud Canadians and show it.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                                I would just send our best team and wear suits covered in Red maple Leaves. White Suits, White Shirts covered in Red Maple Leaves and a Red Tie with White Maple Leaves. Be proud you are Canadian and do well at the Olympics. Politics will always cause trouble. Be proud Canadians and show it.
                                Eh... you want to protest against the fact that politics cause trouble... by wearing a very political outfit? Not sure I get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X