Lowest FIDE rating that has climbed all the way up to achieve an IM title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowest FIDE rating that has climbed all the way up to achieve an IM title?

Just curious, what has been the lowest FIDE rating that has climbed all the way up achieving IM title?

Since I am one of the strongest (if not THE strongest) 1400's player in Canada I might just give this a shot.

Re: Lowest FIDE rating that has climbed all the way up to achieve an IM title?

I assume you would mean as an adult, not a low-rated kid getting better?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Yes, as an adult.

Comment

I suspect you have a better chance of becoming president of FIDE:)

Comment

Silly questions deserve silly answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
            Just curious, what has been the lowest FIDE rating that has climbed all the way up achieving IM title?

Since I am one of the strongest (if not THE strongest) 1400's player in Canada I might just give this a shot.
            Clearly the answer is a FIDE rating of zero.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              Clearly the answer is a FIDE rating of zero.
              Technically a person was unrated. the lowest fide rating is 1100.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                Technically a person was unrated. the lowest fide rating is 1100.
                Well originally, if memory serves, FIDE only published ratings of 2200 and up. They kept lower ratings but these were not published until the holders advanced to 2200. Then they went to, if I recall rightly, 2000. Now they go much lower.

It depends on how you count "unrated". Everyone starts unrated. You may decide to count that as a 0 rating or in database terms as a null rating. So long as you are consistent both work. then the answer would be either 0 or null depending on your formality.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

I don't know your exact age, but you must be around 50. I doubt there has ever been a Canadian player who was 50, and rated below 2000, who eventually became an IM. Even if you fell short and became a Master from 1400 at age 50ish that would probably be unprecedented in Canada as well.
                  "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Perhaps now is a good time to call in those endgame lessons!?!

Comment

Working...
                    X