• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC Chess Hustler Makes $400 a Day

NYC Chess Hustler Makes $400 a Day

October 29, 2017

The following story is from The New York Post

http://nypost.com/2017/10/28/inside-...chess-hustler/

I am not sure that I believe references to Nakamura and Lombardy, so you will have to see them in the original article. That $400 a day seems high too. If it is correct, let us throw down our day jobs and go to Union Square Park and make our fortunes!

NYC Chess Hustler Makes $400 a Day

By Melkorka Licea
    October 28, 2017

Six years ago, Ambakisye Osayaba made his big move — he quit his part-time city job cleaning Central Park and began playing chess full-time.

Now he earns up to $400 a day, taking on all comers from a 2-by-2-foot fold-out table, chairs and chess board he rolls in a metal shopping granny cart every morning to the southwest strip of Union Square Park.

“It’s the best living I’ve ever made,” said Osayaba, 59, known by the initials T.C., which stand for “teaches chess.”

Osayaba may be the top earner of the dozen players in the park, who have migrated there from Washington Square Park over the last few years because they realized Union Square gets more tourist traffic.

“There’s a reason why he’s called the Bobby Fischer of Union Square,” said one of his regular opponents, Mayer Lasry, 20.

Osayaba charges $3 for a no-wager game. If you want to bet, the winner gets $5. He offers 30-minute lessons for $20. He plays at the park year round, rain or shine.

“People walk by all the time wanting to learn,” said Osayaba. “I tell them, ‘Take a seat’ and before they know it, they’re coming back every day.”

The only way to get an appointment with T.C. is to show up at his table. “I threw my phone off the Brooklyn Bridge,” Osayaba said. “You need to give the game your full attention.”

Re: NYC Chess Hustler Makes $400 a Day

I dont know how many newspaper articles Ive read where hustlers claim to make inflated amounts of money hustling. Maybe their best efforts are translated to everyday income. I feel like Ive been wasting my time with certain readings.

Comment

About 10 years ago, my father's doctor closed down his medical practice and became a street musician. It was an unfulfilled dream -- something he had always wanted to do.

A tip of the hat and some well-deserved respect to anyone who can make a living playing chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
        I dont (sic) know how many newspaper articles Ive read where hustlers claim to make inflated amounts of money hustling.
        Well, the word "hustler" should be a clue, shouldn't it?

Comment

Working...
        X