Canada's Largest Tournaments 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada's Largest Tournaments 2017

I thought it might be interesting to see where the largest tournaments were this year.
    Here's a preliminary list. Numbers may be out by a couple as I didn't search for floater duplication between sections. Let me know if I missed any events.

Trois-Rivieres 222
    Varennes 221
    Toronto Open 178
    Hart House 161
    Montreal 156
    Aurora Fall 154
    Victoria GPO 146
    Vancouver Keres 145
    Aurora Summer 144
    Laval 139
    Cdn Open 137
    Que Carnival 137
    Quebec Open 136
    Vancouver BC Open 132
    Pere Noel Montr 118
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Re: Canada's Largest Tournaments 2017

That must be the Pere Noel tournament from 2016 - the 2017 event hasn't been held yet.

I assume these are CFC-rated events only. - if so - Laval (38 players) and the Quebec Carnival(37 players) tournaments only had the top sections CFC-rated. I also don't see any CFC rating report for the 2016 Pere Noel event (Dec. 26-30, 2016).

What about the CYCC (about 260 players)? Were all sections CFC-rated?

The 2017 Quebec Chess Challenge had 438 players (rated by CMA).
    NB Provincial had 320 players (rated by CMA).
    There were several other CMA-rated events with more than 200 players since January.
    Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Saturday, 4th November, 2017, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Paul, I think you need to specify your list is largest adult tournaments.

Some of the largest Junior CFC rated events this year.

CYCC 260
      OYCC 180
      Mississauga Juniors 14 - 126
      Happy Life CYCC qualifier 182
      Franco-ontarien 318

and a monster that we were not able to include this week, hopefully next week.

Timmins, Ontario 522
      Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Saturday, 4th November, 2017, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Yes, as Hugh has mentioned, several CMA-organized events would be very high on this list:
        • 2017 Ontario Chess Challenge - Leslie Armstrong - CMA (Mississauga, ON) - 457
        • Défi échiquéen du Québec 2017 - 2017 Quebec Chess Challenge - Virginie Roux - CMA (Montréal, QC) - 438
        • New Brunswick Provincial 2017 - Pierre Lambert (Moncton, NB) - 320
        • Waterloo Regional Chess Challenge - Patrick McDonald - KW Youth Chess Club (Breslau, ON) - 308
        • Newmarket Optimist Chess Challenge - Leslie Armstrong (Newmarket, ON) - 226 joueurs
        • 2nd Ontario Chess Challenge Qualifier Tournament - Francis Rodrigues - Chess'n Math Association (Toronto, ON) - 207
        • Kingston Chess Challenge - Roman Polywkan (Kingston, ON) - 125
        • 2017 BC Chess Challenge. Regional Qualifier #3 - Maxim Doroshenko - Vancouver Chess School (Vancouver, BC) - 121
        • 29th Annual Canadian Chess Challenge - Larry Bevand - Chess'n Math Association (Toronto, ON) - 120

These numbers were achieved in four provinces!
        Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; Saturday, 4th November, 2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Indeed I only looked at CFC and FQE rated open tournaments.
          The Pere Noel event seemed was 30 Jan 2016 to 04 Jan 2017 according to the FQE website so I considered it as a 2017 tournament.
          Paul Leblanc

Comment

Hoping to add Hart House Holidays Open (Dec 15-17) to that list by the end of the year.
            Alex F.

Comment

Caissa seems alive and well - judging by the encouraging numbers at
              the above annual and seasonal events. For CMA Toronto (as Mr. Malmsteen
              has generously commented on), the challenge is to reproduce numbers in
              excess of 200-300, month after month! We just managed 218 players at
              our Halloween event last week, and have a Grand Prix looming in 3 weeks:)

Francis Rodrigues, LLB - Regional Director
              Strategy Games & The Chess'n Math Association
              tel: 416-488-5506; 416-486-3395; 647-232-6014 (cell)
              701 Mt. Pleasant Road, Toronto, ON, M4S 2N4
              fax: 416-486-4637; website: https://www.chess-math.org/

Comment

Calgary Chess Challenge was the largest in AB I believe with 104 players.

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
                  Caissa seems alive and well - judging by the encouraging numbers at
                  the above annual and seasonal events. For CMA Toronto (as Mr. Malmsteen
                  has generously commented on), the challenge is to reproduce numbers in
                  excess of 200-300, month after month! We just managed 218 players at
                  our Halloween event last week, and have a Grand Prix looming in 3 weeks:)

Francis Rodrigues, LLB - Regional Director
                  Strategy Games & The Chess'n Math Association
                  tel: 416-488-5506; 416-486-3395; 647-232-6014 (cell)
                  701 Mt. Pleasant Road, Toronto, ON, M4S 2N4
                  fax: 416-486-4637; website: https://www.chess-math.org/
                  When we looked at 2012 Windsor had the largest tourney:
                  http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...hlight=Largest

Yes, Francis I praise your large events because when I was a kid I felt energized by the large crowd to play more chess; No longer some strange hobby in isolation. I highly recommend to all Toronto chess coaches to send their competitive students to these large events.

Comment

Maybe Vlad can answer questions about the 1400-kid event in Windsor in 2012.

1) I assume it was an unrated event.
                    2) Were all the kids playing in the same building at the same time? If not - was there a chance that some/many may have played in multiple events? If so - was there room for the parents? Were they allowed in the tournament room(s)?
                    3) How were sections decided upon? By grade? Age? Swiss system? Round-robin? Number of rounds?
                    4) Were results well documented (e.g complete first and last names of all players, and complete crosstables)?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                      Maybe Vlad can answer questions about the 1400-kid event in Windsor in 2012.

1) I assume it was an unrated event.
                      2) Were all the kids playing in the same building at the same time? If not - was there a chance that some/many may have played in multiple events? If so - was there room for the parents? Were they allowed in the tournament room(s)?
                      3) How were sections decided upon? By grade? Age? Swiss system? Round-robin? Number of rounds?
                      4) Were results well documented (e.g complete first and last names of all players, and complete crosstables)?
                      Windsor has been running a big event since 1999. 2018 will be the 20th year.

In 2017, there were about 1450 players registered, plus (as I remember) about 12 walk-ins, minus about 30 no-shows, for about 1430 players who actually played.

To answer Hugh's questions...

1) Unrated. Most of these children play only one event per year.
                      2a) We have about 17,000 square feet in three halls at the Ciociaro Club. Half the kids play one day, half the next.
                      2b) Because the events are on school days, there are not many parents. Parents are allowed in the playing rooms, but not too close to the players.
                      3a) Players are divided by grade, and play in sections of about 16. In 2017 there were 92 sections.
                      3b) The event is an 8-round continuous-swiss ( a hybrid of swiss and round robin, devised by yours truly)
                      4a) Medal winners are published the same day of the event, a tradition. You can see medal winners and school standings for the last 10 years at www.chesschallenge.info The results links are in the left column.
                      4b) Gold and silver medal winners are invited to playoffs, which are held on a Saturday a few weeks after the main event. A couple of times the playoffs have been CFC active-rated, most recently in 2016. There are usually about 180 players at the playoffs.

Comment

Thanks John for the info.

Again - regarding my question 4 - were complete and accurate crosstables kept for posterity? Suppose you (or a parent) wanted to find out how player "x" had done within a group, or how someone had progressed over the years?

5) What was the female participation percentage (approximate)? I assume it decreased by grade.

Comment

I keep all the pairing cards for a year, by section. I get the occasional question right after the event, but no one inquires about previous years. Water under the bridge.

It is unlikely that someone would be interested in year-to-year progress, unless they were one of the top players, in which case their name would be among the medal winners or trophy winners each year.

I don't keep records of male/female participation, I've never really noticed. I could look at the player first names, which would (mostly) be a guide, but so could anyone who was interested. Go for it... http://www.chesschallenge.info/import1.php

Comment

I have been impressed by the Aurora team who seem to have created a new and successful event.
                            I must make a point to play in the next one.
                            Paul Leblanc

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                              I have been impressed by the Aurora team who seem to have created a new and successful event.
                              I must make a point to play in the next one.
                              Thnx. This year was really great. We had almost 100 players in spring. We'll see how the next year will go as we plan to move to a new location.

Comment

Working...
                              X