Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The decline of Canadian chess?

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    I don't see the benefit of a private forum. The voting members forum makes sense when discussing sensitive stuff. The members of the executive are accessible via email or public forums. We do not really fully use the forums we have now.
    I'm pretty sure he meant it so that non-CFC members wouldn't be allowed in, thus removing a couple of particular people from discussions...
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
      I'm pretty sure he meant it so that non-CFC members wouldn't be allowed in, thus removing a couple of particular people from discussions...
      Those people aren't a problem over there and if they were, I would have no trouble removing them.

Comment

One benefit to a private members' forum might be that members could discuss with each other (along with any CFC officers who might look) their views on CFC matters without anything negative appearing to the eyes of non-CFC members. That's if they wished to. This might also increase traffic to the CFC Discussion Board, which is badly needed. It doesn't take much effort to create a private forum, at least.

There could conceivably be other benefits to a private members' forum, if not now then later (e.g. link into special members only services from within the forum, or sub-forums available only to members). I didn't reject the thought out of hand when it occurred to me, thinking the idea might be worth something down the road. Plastic was discovered first by someone who thought it was worthless goop, so he didn't pursue the idea.

http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/bc/ahp/..._polymers.html
        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 19th November, 2017, 11:33 PM. Reason: Adding link
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

13. I don't think we need any global warming or Trump threads on the CFC forum. There are lots of other places where you can discuss that.
          As I wrote earlier, there is at least one precedent for sub-forums about non-chess subject matters on a forum that's otherwise for chess (that would be OzChess, Australia's board). I recall Hugh, for one, has posted on chesstalk that he finds the Canadian chess community's particular opinions on non-chess topics can be of interest - one cannot isolate this group of people's opinions on non-chess topics otherwise. Certainly this is tolerated on the ever-popular chesstalk, which lacks the organized breakdown of chess and non-chess topics into sub-forums. The problem is, it's often up to just one overall administrator to decide what's best for his or her general forum, interests of the bulk of the users (which admittedly may change over time) not always being sought out.

http://www.aussiechess.com.au/
          Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 20th November, 2017, 11:05 AM. Reason: Adding link

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
            Technically Chess960 is a variant, but one that we have held the occasional tournament for at the RA Chess club during my tenure as club president. So it's close enough that I was willing to give it a go on a tournament level. However the more the rules are changed from the original game, the more it is a variant.
            I'm convinced the standard setup position for orthodox chess is the best one possible, when using the standard chess pieces and rules (including chess960's castling rules). However, chess960 is certainly a way to get out of the books, and fewer people may have chess960 software available to them that may allow for greater chances of undetected computer assisted cheating. Also, if FIDE is desperate to save chess from over-analyzed opening theory at some point in time, chess960 would seem to be a more or less adequate modification to the game for that purpose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess960
            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 20th November, 2017, 12:40 PM. Reason: Adding link

Comment

I've added a link re: chess960 to my previous post. Note that if the starting position ('setup') were not randomly selected at the start of every game, and it was to be the setup in games played for, say, 100 years, then the opening theory of all chess960 setups might be exhausted after 96,000 years, whereas if the starting positions for individual/(a whole tournament's) games were always to be randomly selected, as per strictly the present rules of the variant, then the opening theory of all chess960 setups therefore might well never be exhausted, by humans at least. :)

Comment

Interesting search result when one Googles "Canadian bughouse tournaments 2016". I wonder how many of the participants are currently not CFC members:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=canad...w=1280&bih=682

P.S.: here's result for Canadian speed chess tournaments 2016:

https://www.google.ca/search?source=....0.3VFavugEJgg
                Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 22nd November, 2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                  Chess Federation of Canada must become data driven.
                  What likely benefits might you see if that happens, Neil?

Comment

Neil strikes me as someone who reads the buzzwords of the day and has to regurgitate them like the autistic young man repeated the baseball sports broadcast in my doctor's waiting room some thirty years ago in an almost perfect recreation of the original. Neil's version is not quite so impressive or memorable.

Comment

Neil strikes me as someone who reads the buzzwords of the day and has to regurgitate them like the autistic young man repeated the baseball sports broadcast in my doctor's waiting room some thirty years ago in an almost perfect recreation of the original. Neil's version is not quite so impressive or memorable.
                      Did you just manipulate a young man inflicted with autism???

You didn't just do that ...did you Drkulec?

To the other Executive members of the Chess Federation of Canada who have a good conscious ...remove Vlad Drkulec from your Executive.
                      Last edited by Neil Frarey; Wednesday, 22nd November, 2017, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonely boy Neil Frarey View Post
                        Did you just manipulate a young man inflicted with autism???

You didn't just do that ...did you Drkulec?

To the other Executive members of the Chess Federation of Canada who have a good conscious ...remove Vlad Drkulec from your Executive.
                        The term is "good conscience" not "good conscious". Trying to use words you don't understand leads to malapropisms which make you appear comical and not intelligent. I did not "manipulate a youth man with autism" but related an incident from my past where a young man repeated a sports broadcast perfectly like other people might make a photocopy of a page of text. It was a moment of wonder which contrary to your usual practice showed that there is far more magic in the world than is dreamed of in your philosophy (Horatio).

Comment

The term is "good conscience" not "good conscious". Trying to use words you don't understand leads to malapropisms which make you appear comical and not intelligent. I did not "manipulate a youth man with autism" but related an incident from my past where a young man repeated a sports broadcast perfectly like other people might make a photocopy of a page of text. It was a moment of wonder which contrary to your usual practice showed that there is far more magic in the world than is dreamed of in your philosophy (Horatio).
                          And yet even though you clearly understood my meaning (and thanks for the correction) ... you continue to manipulate those who are inflicted with autism by comparing those folks to ...me, and me ...to those folks!

Instead ...you chose not to debate Kevin's question to me about the benefits of mining data.

Rather ...you manipulated a young man inflicted with autism.

Please do the right thing Drkulec ...simply resign.

And if not ...then I hope those on the Executive with "good conscience" will force you out.
                          Last edited by Neil Frarey; Wednesday, 22nd November, 2017, 05:11 PM.

Comment

And yet even though you clearly understood my meaning (and thanks for the correction) ... you continue to manipulate those who are inflicted with autism by comparing those folks to ...me, and me ...to those folks!
                            Neil, Neil, Neil, Neil. For all your posturing you completely missed the boat. You show that you and the other trolls of chesstalk are brothers in levels of intellectual attainment, reasoning and debate tactics. There is nothing disrespectful to that wondrous individual who is probably now in his fifties. He is a shining example of what the human mind is capable of. Yours not so much. You are the pointy haired boss of chess talk, spouting phrases like magical incantations without understanding them.

Instead ...you chose not to debate Kevin's question to me about the benefits of mining data.
                            "THE POWER OF THEMASWOT
                            NF
                            New Life Foundation

Vernon Howard's
                            SECRETS OF LIFE (R)

**********************************************************************

"THE POWER OF THEMASWOT

How many times have you found yourself involved with a person or
                            event only to later regret it? This exercise keeps you out of
                            trouble in the first place.

The whole idea is for you to be on guard against invitations and
                            suggestions that look like fun at first but which turn out to be
                            painful traps. A person will get you involved in something, then
                            suddenly lose interest in it, leaving you with the responsibilities
                            and even the debts. Such a person is a hit-and-run artist.

Employ the power of Themaswot. This special word was created to
                            help you recognize a trap when meeting one.

Themaswot means, 'Themaswot makes the suggestions are the ones who
                            must do the work, make the decisions and pay the money.' Let this
                            be your attitude toward deceptive people. Stay away from their
                            lures. Do not let them unload their follies onto you. Let their
                            problems remain their problems. The person who causes grief is
                            the person who must suffer from it and correct it. This is a
                            Law of Life.

These sly invitations are far more numerous and dangerous than
                            you may now see. Become aware of them; then let Themaswot keep
                            you safe."

Practical Exercises for Inner Harmony, # 4

Rather ...you manipulated a young man inflicted with autism.
                            So that remarkable young man of those many decades ago has achieved the status of "He who shall not be mentioned or named" in your philosophy?

It probably is the right thing from my self interest point of view though I am no quitter. Just because I resign doesn't mean that the voting members would be silly enough to elect you. Necessity would raise up a hero to save the CFC from the looming abyss represented by you or one of your stand ins.

And if not ...then I hope those on the Executive with "good conscience" will force you out.
                            They can't, at least not easily. It would have to be unanimous (to remove a president who would continue to serve on the board as a regular board member) and would have to be ratified by the voting members. Of course the voting members could remove me very simply with a simple majority of the votes cast at the next AGM. If any one of the members of the current board wanted to be president, I would probably support them at the next AGM. There are even some voting members or non-voting members who I would support. Its unlikely that any of them are interested in the position.

Comment

• Vlad the Impaler

Neil, Neil, Neil, Neil.... You are the pointy haired boss of chess talk, spouting phrases like magical incantations without understanding them ...
                              Nice! A buried treasure! I may have to borrow that one.
                              Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

This isn't about me Drkulec.

It's about you and your manipulation of a young man inflicted with autism.

They can't, at least not easily.
                                And you know this well, don't you Drkulec! Doesn't give you license to abuse those who are inflicted with autism ...or any other infliction for that matter!

BTW, sorry to see folks like Nigel failing to step up for those who have been manipulated by Drkulec.

I guess I read you all wrong Nige. You much rather side with an abusive manipulative belittling person. Sid mentioned that you ran for public office ...and lost.

I'm really thankful you didn't get elected!

They read you right ...didn't they.
                                Last edited by Neil Frarey; Wednesday, 22nd November, 2017, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X