Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The decline of Canadian chess?

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    Affliction. Those with an affliction such as autism....

Infliction is a word but it is not a word that means what you seem to think it means.

Buttercup: We'll never survive.
    Westley: Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has.
    - The Princess Bride
    Seriously, you got the job! I need a secretary.

I'm a creative genius ... not a literary whatever. Don't even know that that is the correct phrase literary whatever. My spelling is even worse! Words and me are sooooooooooooooooooo far a part. I have an innate ability to understand and to create structure ...give it meaning ...and build the structure. And that's about it.

Anyways Drkulec, give folks their space and their respect ...don't manipulate. You don't need to manipulate a young man afflicted with autism just to get at me.

I'm right here.
    Last edited by Neil Frarey; Thursday, 23rd November, 2017, 04:18 AM.

Comment

A simile is not a manipulation except in the most abstract sense of the word.

Comment

You seem a little selective about your outrage when it comes to your drinking buddy Neil. His personal attacks are perfectly fine. When I respond its world war three.
        Simple. You are the President of the Chess Federation of Canada. Your posts are a reflection of the CFC. As a voting member I feel that this behavior is not acceptable for the office. This is not the first time I have said this to you. It began long before Neil began posting on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
          Simple. You are the President of the Chess Federation of Canada. Your posts are a reflection of the CFC. As a voting member I feel that this behavior is not acceptable for the office. This is not the first time I have said this to you. It began long before Neil began posting on this board.
          I have been re-elected or acclaimed four times since you first made your views known in public and in the voting members forum and/or the voting member/governors meetings.
          Its in the hands of the executive (directors) at the moment. Careful what you wish for. You might get it.

Comment

To try to be fair, Vlad, I think this time you started the fighting between you and Neil, unless I didn't read far back enough somehow. Namely, right after I asked Neil a question in a post, the very next post read:

Neil strikes me as someone who reads the buzzwords of the day and has to regurgitate them like the autistic young man repeated the baseball sports broadcast in my doctor's waiting room some thirty years ago in an almost perfect recreation of the original. Neil's version is not quite so impressive or memorable.
            Myself, I'm pretty much trying to stick with the theme of this thread, and was inviting Neil to do so too. If you wanted to comment on my question to Neil, you might have simply posted that somehow the CFC cannot afford the time or the money to do any data mining for the foreseeable future, if that's the case, for example.
            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 23rd November, 2017, 02:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
            Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
            Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

I have been re-elected or acclaimed four times since you first made your views known in public and in the voting members forum and/or the voting member/governors meetings.
              Its in the hands of the executive (directors) at the moment. Careful what you wish for. You might get it.
              Vlad, Garland has a very valid point. I've said the same thing. So have others. If you want to get down and dirty in a discussion about Trump or global warming, or even just boring Canadian politics, that's fine. There are LOTS of places to do that.

But this is putatively a CHESS forum and you are the President of the CHESS Federation of Canada.

I don't see how it does any good for the president of the CFC to choose to wallow in the muck when it is very easy to not do so. There is no need to enter the muck here, let alone wallow in it, nor does either provoking ad hominem discussions or to responding/inserting yourself into them serve the CFC or yourself.

I have the same opinion of the naysayers that you do and most people on this forum do (particularly a certain pair).

Rise above this and try to stay there.

Steve

P.S. Aside from your tendency to involve yourself in squabbles, etc., I think you've done an excellent job as CFC president.

Comment

• who flung dung?

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post

Steve
                That's garbage. Vlad is perfectly entitled to defend his reputation, and fling the same shit that is flung at him, and more. The witticisms are just a bonus. Of course you could argue that he's wasting his time. But that's a different argument.

Where are the moderators? The answer is, there are none. This is what the unregulated open market looks like. A free for all in which the loudest, most obnoxious and persistent voices are, generally, heard the most.

Larry Bevand, the owner of this discussion board, does very little to moderate this place. Perhaps the reasoning is that whatever increases traffic increases the potential sale price of this "gem" of a website. Perhaps it's an expense that is unaffordable. Perhaps, perhaps, etc...

Having said that, it seems to me that Larry provides a service to Canadian chess players. There is no way, and Vlad has mentioned this more than once, that the CFC would take on the liability associated with all the ... actionable ... contributions here. The CFC could go out of business. And, there are people who, not getting their way, who post here as well, would be happy to see that.

Lucky for Larry nobody seems to hate Chess and Math the way some hate the CFC.

Good for Larry.
                Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

• Re: who flung dung?

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                  That's garbage. Vlad is perfectly entitled to defend his reputation, and fling the same shit that is flung at him, and more. The witticisms are just a bonus. Of course you could argue that he's wasting his time. But that's a different argument.

Where are the moderators? The answer is, there are none.

This is what the unregulated open market looks like. A free for all in which the loudest, most obnoxious and persistent voices are, generally, heard the most.

Larry Bevand, the owner of this discussion board, does very little to moderate this place.
                  Despite being unobtrusive Larry has been quite good about removing libelous posts and even sent one of the trolls on a two week vacation recently after repeated infractions. Of course I only complain when the post is very, very bad and usually respond by giving some of my special attention to the troll.

Perhaps the reasoning is that whatever increases traffic increases the potential sale price of this "gem" of a website. Perhaps it's an expense that is unaffordable. Perhaps, perhaps, etc...
                  If Chesstalk was just Wayne Komer and Hans Jung then it might be worth something to the CFC.

Having said that, it seems to me that Larry provides a service to Canadian chess players. There is no way, and Vlad has mentioned this more than once, that the CFC would take on the liability associated with all the ... actionable ... contributions here. The CFC could go out of business. And, there are people who, not getting their way, who post here as well, would be happy to see that.
                  Yes they would.

Lucky for Larry nobody seems to hate Chess and Math the way some hate the CFC.

Good for Larry.
                  Well they hate them in a different way and its usually different people than the ones that hate the CFC.

Haters gotta hate, hate, hate, hate.
                  Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 23rd November, 2017, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• Re: who flung dung?

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                    That's garbage. Vlad is perfectly entitled to defend his reputation, and fling the same shit that is flung at him, and more.
                    The post that I objected to had nothing to do with Vlad defending his reputation. No one was "flinging" anything at him at that point in the thread. He fired the shot.

Vlad, like everyone else on this message board, has the right to defend himself against trolls and cyber-bullies. But that does not mean he needs to become one to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                      Vlad, Garland has a very valid point. I've said the same thing. So have others. If you want to get down and dirty in a discussion about Trump or global warming, or even just boring Canadian politics, that's fine. There are LOTS of places to do that.

But this is putatively a CHESS forum and you are the President of the CHESS Federation of Canada.
                      Things got heated in this case in a chess discussion thread. Mind you it was a chess discussion thread where the author of the thread asked me to comment personally and asked me about my absence from the discussion. I said that my presence on such a thread would be like throwing red meat to the trolls. With Bonham banned for two weeks I just didn't want to stir the pot. Of course Kevin Pacey made a long post. Kevin Pacey is someone that I like and respect and so I made an answer to his very long post split up into several smaller posts. Unlike some individuals I remember Kevin as a productive volunteer for the CFC and worthy of a reply.

I have largely avoided politics, global warming and other nonsense on here for some time though I do occasionally lapse.

I don't see how it does any good for the president of the CFC to choose to wallow in the muck when it is very easy to not do so. There is no need to enter the muck here, let alone wallow in it, nor does either provoking ad hominem discussions or to responding/inserting yourself into them serve the CFC or yourself.
                      If you don't respond to the muck then the muck goes unchallenged. And some people might think that the nonsense is true. When challenged the trolls quickly fade and are exposed as lacking substance.

I have the same opinion of the naysayers that you do and most people on this forum do (particularly a certain pair).
                      I know you do but my audience is the google audience. You have to stand your ground or the trolls win. The Barbarians overrun the place. I used to have this same discussion in other places. More brilliant versions of these trolls laid those grounds waste just like I said they would.

Sometimes I will. Sometimes I won't. I am largely staying out of politics and global warming. My opinion has been stated for the record. It has not changed.

Steve

P.S. Aside from your tendency to involve yourself in squabbles, etc., I think you've done an excellent job as CFC president.
                      Thank you. You remind me of another Steve from long ago from those ancient battlefields. There are some interesting parallels and Groundhog Dayish eternal recurrence of the same like quality of the new trolls though I must say the trolls were better and smarter then though it might just have been the NLP talking in some cases.

Comment

What's happened to CFC quarterly meetings?

Comment

Next one is Dec 10th-17th.
                          Last edited by Garland Best; Friday, 24th November, 2017, 01:55 PM. Reason: Date correction.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                            Had I amazing talk this morning with folks over at Autism Canada!

Beyond the Drkulec's of our world we discussed looking into doing some research! We both thought it would be useful to know just how many Canadian folks with an affliction, including those with autism, connect with chess.

Wonderful stuff!

I know of one parent here in Ottawa, first name Andrew, who's son connected with chess (showed up at the RA & Strategy Games) but beyond that I have no idea on how to go about determining even a guesstimate number of those with an affliction who connect with chess.

"Who are we?"

FWIW, please take a moment to view this vid:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEOssW1rw0I

"We are better than that."
                            Last edited by Neil Frarey; Friday, 24th November, 2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I can name at least two persons with high level autism who play chess. One was an RA club member. Another from Kingston (Jay Serdula) swam Lake Ontario to raise money and awareness for autism. See http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/autistic-ma...tario-1.312495

My son is identified as someone with high functioning autism and ADHD. He's not someone who you would notice as on the spectrum. My niece is identified as on the spectrum as well. The persons I mention playing chess are stronger on the autism spectrum.

Comment

Why are we using the term "affliction"?

Comment

Working...
                                X