Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The decline of Canadian chess?

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    To try to be fair, Vlad, I think this time you started the fighting between you and Neil, unless I didn't read far back enough somehow. Namely, right after I asked Neil a question in a post, the very next post read.

Myself, I'm pretty much trying to stick with the theme of this thread, and was inviting Neil to do so too. If you wanted to comment on my question to Neil, you might have simply posted that somehow the CFC cannot afford the time or the money to do any data mining for the foreseeable future, if that's the case, for example.
    This whole thread was in a sense John Coleman trolling the CFC. I have talked to him about it. He asked why I didn't reply and I said that replying is just throwing red meat to the trolls and not worth the waste of time that ensues.

On data mining, we don't have any budget. We don't have any numbers. We don't have any employee with spare time. Getting financials on a timely basis is not always a given. We don't want to keep the type of information Neil wants us to keep as it would be useful to hackers. Any information useful to organizers is available in the TDlist text file.

Pointing out some characteristic that I have noticed about Neil or any other troll is not starting a fight. I am not here to be nice to Neil. If I am writing to Neil the conversation will take into consideration the whole relationship with the CFC and his posting history. Just because he isn't being rude at this moment doesn't mean that I have forgotten everything else he has said and done. I don't normally read Neil because he doesn't write anything that merits attention. He is a lonely guy.

If Chesstalk does not clean up this problem it is having then I probably won't be coming here for a while. My deflectors are on high but I am still doing a virus scan after every visit.

Comment

Thanks Garland, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
        Why are we using the term "affliction"?
        Most likely out of ignorance.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

af·flic·tion
          əˈflikSH(ə)n/
          noun
          noun: affliction; plural noun: afflictions

something that causes pain or suffering.
          "a crippling affliction of the nervous system"
          synonyms: disorder, disease, malady, complaint, ailment, illness, indisposition, handicap; More
          scourge, plague, trouble
          "a common herb reputed to cure a variety of afflictions"
          pain or suffering.
          "poor people in great affliction"
          synonyms: suffering, distress, pain, trouble, misery, wretchedness, hardship, misfortune, adversity, sorrow, torment, tribulation, woe
          "he bore his affliction with great dignity"

Class dismissed.
          Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 27th November, 2017, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Many individuals on the autism spectrum would disagree with your analysis, Neil.

Comment

Since one of the synonyms Neil listed was disorder (which, for example, thesaurus.com also lists) and since the definition of autism appears to be:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/autism

": a variable developmental disorder that appears by age three and is characterized by impairment of the ability to form normal social relationships, by impairment of the ability to communicate with others, and by repetitive behavior patterns — called also autistic disorder; "

I don't see what is inaccurate about his comment.

Would you consider disorder(ed) more accurate?

Many individuals on the autism spectrum would disagree with your analysis, Neil.
              "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

How about using the language Wrong Planet uses on its website?
                Wrong Planet is the web community designed for individuals (and parents / professionals of those) with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD, PDDs, and other neurological differences. We provide a discussion forum, where members communicate with each other, an article section, with exclusive articles and how-to guides, a blogging feature, and more.

Comment

How about using the language Wrong Planet uses on its website?
                  Wrong Planet is the web community designed for individuals (and parents / professionals of those) with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD, PDDs, and other neurological differences. We provide a discussion forum, where members communicate with each other, an article section, with exclusive articles and how-to guides, a blogging feature, and more.
                  Ken, I looked around at the website for Wrong Planet and I did not find any guideline(s) for language ... did you have a specific link you can share?
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Note they used " individuals with" not "individuals afflicted with."

Comment

This is totally amazing ... awesome experience learning all about autism, people with the disorder, and the wonderful organizations with their support systems. Organizations such as Autism Canada [ autismcanada.org ] and Autism Speaks Canada [ autismspeaks.ca ] are doing such an amazing job. It's been great getting to know them both!

Just today I had an amazing talk with Autism Speaks Canada ... hopefully next year SoCA will be hosting a chess event ... tentatively titled - Chess for Autism or Play Chess for Autism or something like that.

And yes, from Autism Speaks Canada I learnt today that disorder is the better word rather than 'affliction' ... although in a strict technical usage of the word 'affliction' is applicable, it is seen as a negative term ...my bad.

More on our charity tournament in early 2018 :)

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                        This is totally amazing ... awesome experience learning all about autism, people with the disorder, and the wonderful organizations with their support systems. Organizations such as Autism Canada [ autismcanada.org ] and Autism Speaks Canada [ autismspeaks.ca ] are doing such an amazing job. It's been great getting to know them both!

Just today I had an amazing talk with Autism Speaks Canada ... hopefully next year SoCA will be hosting a chess event ... tentatively titled - Chess for Autism or Play Chess for Autism or something like that.

And yes, from Autism Speaks Canada I learnt today that disorder is the better word rather than 'affliction' ... although in a strict technical usage of the word 'affliction' is applicable, it is seen as a negative term ...my bad.

More on our charity tournament in early 2018 :)
                        Originally you used the phrase "inflicted with autism".

And you're still trying to backpedal your ignorance.

Maybe you learned something.

Oh wait, Inconceivable!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                          Originally you used the phrase "inflicted with autism".

And you're still trying to backpedal your ignorance.

Maybe you learned something.

Oh wait, Inconceivable!

Steve
                          Despite belittling and demeaning comments from people such as your fine self ... good is going to come from Drkulec's pathetic comment(s)!!!

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                          Neil strikes me as someone who reads the buzzwords of the day and has to regurgitate them like the autistic young man repeated the baseball sports broadcast in my doctor's waiting room some thirty years ago in an almost perfect recreation of the original. Neil's version is not quite so impressive or memorable.
                          But hey Steve, I don't expect anything less coming from you, Drkulec, Liles, ...the list seems endless.

...next.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                            Despite belittling and demeaning comments from people such as your fine self ... good is going to come from Drkulec's pathetic comment(s)!!!

But hey Steve, I don't expect anything less coming from you, Drkulec, Liles, ...the list seems endless.

...next.
                            I already chastised Drkulec for trying to wallow in the muck. What's your point?

You decided to complain to the Autism Society of Canada about him while simultaneously demonstrating you know nothing about it.

Or the English language.

Ken Craft usually only posts in short sentences here. He wrote a whole paragraph about ASD. You might want to read things before you post. And choosing to argue ad hominem is, well, what you do.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                              I can name at least two persons with high level autism who play chess. One was an RA club member. Another from Kingston (Jay Serdula) swam Lake Ontario to raise money and awareness for autism. See http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/autistic-ma...tario-1.312495

My son is identified as someone with high functioning autism and ADHD. He's not someone who you would notice as on the spectrum. My niece is identified as on the spectrum as well. The persons I mention playing chess are stronger on the autism spectrum.
                              Hi Garland, would you folks have contact info for Jay Serdula?

Autism Canada are interested if he would submit an article about his connection with chess for their weekly newsletter.

Thanks so much!

Comment

No, sorry. Perhaps Frank Dixon, or someone else in the Kingston area?

Comment

Working...
                                X