CFC home page ... slightly revised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC home page ... slightly revised

So, thinking that it would nice if the Chess Federation of Canada began to celebrate their own, I 'tweaked' the CFC's home page ... just a touch ... or two. Don't worry ... no major revision such as migrating it over to a responsive mobile friendly CMS platform such Bootstrap ...or whatever.

To often, far to often, the leadership of the Chess Federation of Canada blunders time and time again to use their native resources to promote their own. In this instance it is the wonderful effort of Michael Song who became an International Master winner of the North American Under-18 Championship. Who has represented Canada many times, winning a bronze medal at the 2011 World Youth Championship. And, Razvan Preotu who earned the Grandmaster title in 2016 at the age of 17. The most notable result during his meteoric rise was at the 2016 Calgary International, which he won outright ahead of a strong international field including five GMs.

So ya, I recoded the CFC homepage ... in my browser's dev tools ... in an effort (hopefully not yet another wasted effort) to show what is possible with a little of bit of effort (less than 1 hour of coding) and a responsibility to chess in Canada at large.

Besides the above obvious changes I also did a couple of HTML code quickie changes.

1. Nudged (changed the padding) the Upcoming Tournaments to align with it neighbors.
    2. Nudged (changed the padding) the top Search Now button within the Search Rating code block ... I changed that title too :)
    3. Added a new block of code ... Featured Book ... !
    4. Removed the stupid Hit Counter ... thing is a complete waste of screen real estate.

Anywho, congrats! to Michael Song and Razvan Preotu.
    Last edited by Neil Frarey; Saturday, 11th November, 2017, 09:29 PM.

Re: CFC home page ... slightly revised

Hmm... not bad. Had to bring up the actual CFC webpage to compare. I like it.

Doe the book link to the Gambit website, or to Strategy Games's online sales for the book? (Does Strategy Games list it on line).

By the way, the one bit of Code I would personally like to see is a live line showing the first headline or two of the online news feed. That would give someone visiting the page more live content.

Comment

Good effort Neil. That would be one thing I wish was done that I could check off my long wish list for the CFC's improvement.

I hope you have a wad of new ideas you've dreamed up after going dark for ten years.

[edit: personally I thought the hit counter (when it worked) was of interest, but it could be put under a sub-menu, rather than the main page, to save space. What would make the hit counter more interesting is if the date it was put into operation was given, too.]
      Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 12th November, 2017, 01:24 AM.
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Cool beans Garlz, thx.

I didn't link the image. But fresh content like this is a great way to keep members coming to your site ... and perhaps more important is that it drives content to other sites as well. Of course the book could be linked to Strategy Games and they can order the book. Keeping the CFC/CMA relationship intact.

As for your feed request: it looks like chess dot ca is built on Drupal 7. Perhaps somewhere in the Drupal docs there's a code snippet to drop into your chess dot ca html? Dunno. But down in the footer at chess dot newsfeed webpage it says: © 2017 Chess Federation of Canada & McGill Students' Chess Club ... Designed by Shao Hang He

Looks like a good place to ask, and perhaps John U. could help you implement your request.

But anywho ... I went ahead and created this simple html page to show you it's totally a no brainer (I'm good with those no brainers) and dropped your chess dot ca newsfeed into a centered div.

http://societyofchessaficionados.com/images/rss.html

The feed title links back to chess dot ca newsfeed and the single feed title links back to that particular feed being. The whole deal will update as the feed updates. Or at least it should ... ;)

Hope that helps ...some.
        Last edited by Neil Frarey; Sunday, 12th November, 2017, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Can't find the off switch.

About the website counter; you're the first person I heard say that in the last 15 years! I guess counters are sort of a way of keeping score, but they can be easily manipulated. That particular hit counter seems to point to website which no longer available. Here's an interesting discussion on hit counters:

https://ux.stackexchange.com/questio...-used-any-more
          Last edited by Neil Frarey; Sunday, 12th November, 2017, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Even the master of everything can not remove DO NOT LOGIN TO WEBSITE LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              Even the master of everything can not remove DO NOT LOGIN TO WEBSITE LOL
              Hi Egi, what are you referring to?

Oh ya, that.

I left both of those there ... and other 'stuff' too. All I wanted to show was how simple it is to rearrange some divs and give Michael & Razvan some props.

The login button located below the nav bar is also very ... LOL.
              Last edited by Neil Frarey; Sunday, 12th November, 2017, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X