• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Historical" agreement on dress code at upcoming Saudi tournament

FIDE tweeted a link to this:

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...agreement.html

I wonder if shorts are not allowed? [/joke]

I assume that women are to remain shackled when out and about outside the tournament hall as per usual Saudi customs?
    Last edited by Kerry Liles; Tuesday, 14th November, 2017, 03:57 PM.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: "Historical" agreement on dress code at upcoming Saudi tournament

The relevant passage is as follows ...

There will be no need to wear a hijab or abaya during the games,this will be a first for any sporting event in Saudi Arabia.
    The "King in waiting", Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, is now being marketed as an "enlightened" Saudi leader. And, no doubt, some liberals will be fooled by the flea hop improvement for women in the Kingdom. lol.

The Prince is so enlightened that most of his potential rivals for the Kingship have been arrested and their assets confiscated. He's so enlightened that the war that he is enthusiastically pursuing is resulting in massive famine, epidemics of cholera, and huge numbers of civilian deaths in Yemen. He's so enlightened ... well, you get the idea.

Both the current (Liberal) Trudeau regime and the previous (Conservative) Harper regime approved the sale of billions of dollars in military equipment, such as rifles, armored vehicles, etc., to the "enlightened" Kingdom as well as high quality Canadian "training" on how to use/operate said rifles, armored vehicles, etc.

What's funny as hell is that just today PM Trudeau took to lecturing the Filipino President on human rights. Maybe Canada can sell them some armored vehicles as well.

Canadian Sidebar: It's a foolish sort of government that lectures other countries on human rights and then, out of the other side of the mouth, sells billions of dollars in weapons to some of the most egregious violators of human rights. And this sort of conduct is supposed to get Canada into ASEAN and a seat at the UNSC? I doubt it. Other countries will look at this and call it for what it is - Canadian hypocrisy.
    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Wednesday, 15th November, 2017, 01:47 PM. Reason: sidebar
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Another perspective

Another perspective from a thread at chess.com - see https://www.chess.com/news/view/fide...n-saudi-arabia

IM Lela Javkhishvili - "I didn't see some of those players protesting against ridiculous and somehow insulting prizes in the recent ACP Women’s Rapid and Blitz European Championship, where almost nobody got conditions and where for example 5th place wouldn't even cover travel expenses. For me it's not less insulting than to wear a hijab for four days. And where in those cases are the voices of "principled" chess players and "human rights defenders?"
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
      X